Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2001 7:26:36 AM EDT
I think this kind of behavior was what everyone on the board was so upset about last week. Not everyone here is anti LEO by any means. The majority have great respect for the majority of LEO's. It is incidents like these with regular officers and SWAT officers that put bad tastes in peoples mouthes and cause the mistrust. There are numerous crooked cops which to me are worse than crooks because crooks didn't take any oaths. Poor, poor OlyM4gery you have to face reality now. This is what everyone was trying to tell you. Law enforcement has gotten a bad name and more importantly some bad raps in the last few years. Again I am by no means anti LEO. The death of the Oregon officers will be overshadowed big time by this incident in FL.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:30:33 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/09/07/miami.cops/index.html[/url]

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:30:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I read it and for once it looks like the FBI hasn't screwed something up.  Dirty cops give all cops a bad name.  I'm certainly not anti-LEO, beacuse my father had many LEO friends and my next door neighbor is a LEO.  But there has definitely been a move by most LEO organizations towards the philosophy of "the ends justify the means."  Unfortunately it bastardizes true justice, strips honest citizens of their rights and dignity, and is slowly taking away the public's confidence in LEO's as being good people.  

Now if the FBI would actually go after the gun registry in PA instead of just informing them that it's illegal.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:36:26 AM EDT
[#3]
And your point?? I've posted before and I'll post again. Criminal acts by anyone deserve investigation and prosecution.

People who lie shouldn't be LEO's. A little old fashion concept called Honor.

Every day when you wake up you have to decide what kind of person you are going to be. If you wake up and decide that societies rules don't apply to you, be prepared for the consequences, no matter what you do for work.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:41:44 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
And your point?? I've posted before and I'll post again. Criminal acts by anyone deserve investigation and prosecution.

People who lie shouldn't be LEO's. A little old fashion concept called Honor.

Every day when you wake up you have to decide what kind of person you are going to be. If you wake up and decide that societies rules don't apply to you, be prepared for the consequences, no matter what you do for work.
View Quote

This is scary Oly - I'm finding myself agreeing
with you.  Must be time to up the meds again...
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Oly-M4gery

PS: Our founding fathers woke up one day and decided that society's rules don't apply to them.  For that I'm quite grateful.

EDITED to remove a remark that some found insulting.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:51:05 AM EDT
[#6]
FYI the Oregon line of duty deaths were 2 days ago......

CHATTANOOGA, Tenn. (AP) -- A Hamilton County sheriff's deputy was shot and killed early today during an apparent shootout with a motorist he had stopped on East Brainerd Road near the city limits.

The suspect drove away, reportedly in a pickup truck with Georgia tags. He was taken into custody after a Chattanooga Police SWAT team surrounded a house about a mile away. It was not clear whether it was the suspect's house.

The suspect, whose name has not been released, was taken to Erlanger Medical Center for treatment of injuries that may have been sustained during his capture.

Hospital spokeswoman Jan Powell said she could not discuss the man's injuries except to say he had not been shot and that he was being evaluated in the emergency room.

No charges had been filed by midmorning.

"He's still being interrogated," said a sheriff's department spokeswoman.

Deputy Donald Bond, 35, died at the scene, she said.

Bond, a newlywed, had been a dispatcher before being promoted to deputy two years ago.

The shooting occurred about 1:30 a.m. EDT. Bond had stopped a motorist, called in the license plate and that was the last dispatchers heard from him, according to WTVC-TV. Another deputy found Bond lying beside his patrol car, the TV station reported.

The suspect was captured some six hours later after emerging from the house on Heaton Drive, said police spokesman Ed Buice. He said details of the capture remained sketchy but no tear gas or guns were fired.

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:53:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oly-M4gery

It is very noble of you to publicly state that if anyone happens to catch you in a lie, however small, that you will tender your resignation from law enforcement.
View Quote
Does bashing just become a habit? or is it like an addiction?

PS: Our founding fathers woke up one day and decided that society's rules don't apply to them.  For that I'm quite grateful.
View Quote
Yes, and I would be willing to bet they were willing to take the consequences of their actions.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:59:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:59:56 AM EDT
[#9]
Bashing?

I thought I was simply restating your comment.  I suppose it does come off a bit sarcastic.  Would you like me to modify my words a bit to make it more palatable?

A habit? An addiction?  It wasn't bashing so what are you talking about?
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Bashing?

I thought I was simply restating your comment.  I suppose it does come off a bit sarcastic.  Would you like me to modify my words a bit to make it more palatable?

A habit? An addiction?  It wasn't bashing so what are you talking about?
View Quote

Sarcastic yup, hard-hearted, seems bashy to me.

All I was trying to do was say I don't think LE should be a "job" There needs to be standards, discipline, and oversight, unlike any other profession.

You had to turn that around and rub it in my face.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:17:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Hearing you say it that way it tends to make me feel that perhaps it was bashing.  I'm sorry about that.

I agree with what you just said about it being more then a job.  All important jobs; peace keeping, healthcare, teaching, ministry, parenting, etc, etc, etc, should all be approached with the idea of it being more then a job.  People in those professions must have a passion for doing what is right.  Those that don't should get out or be thrown out.

I'll admit that there is alot of cop bashing on this board.  I've never taken part in that, except for this tread ;-)  I try and understand both sides of the arguments.  Some folks seem totally anti-LEO while others seem to defend their every action.  Most of us seem to try and discuss the issue based on the facts presented.

Oly-M4gery - I'm sorry for my sarcastic remark to you earlier.

AR in the woods
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 8:28:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Oly-My point was not to cop bash but to say that many posts  here are directed at LEO's like the FL ones not honest law abiding LEO's whom take their job seriously and took their job for the right reasons(not paycheck, pension, etc). My comments on the OR troopers was that their deaths would be forgotten in the media and overshadowed by the greed and criminal behavior of the FL scum(crooked cops=scum in my book just like Beck if Beck is guilty of everything alledged). I am sorry for the deaths of the OR troopers but it seems like bad always gets way more publicity than good in society. It doesn't matter if it is LEO, professional atheletes, or politicians. Please don't take my posts as cop bashing in general only selectively and am sure you feel the same as I. Was simply making a point about concerns of the majority of readers here.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 12:28:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The ends justifies the means. Any questioning of such tactics, no matter how minor the inquiry, is cop bashing.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 1:54:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:10:36 AM EDT
[#15]
thank you, AR in the woods.

SDwhirlwind, I don't think it's bashing if it is the truth. Although it can be, some like to post every bad story the find and try to say "see they are all like that", or "they're at it again" kind of tone to their posts.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top