Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2001 8:48:34 PM EDT
im looking at one. a rifled barrel on my 870 would be close to 200. one for my benelli would be 450. walmart had a bolt action marlin slug gun on clearance, 270 to 160. seems like a good deal. any input?
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 8:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:13:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Man, I bought a rem 870 rifle sighted smooth bore for $99 at B&S guns in Tx. My bro did too. You can use shot or rifled slugs, fun gun.
GG
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 2:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a Beretta es100 slug gun(poor mans benelli) I can put 3 shot groups into 4 inches at 50 - 75 yrds offhand very frequently. Its light and that means it kicks more but after you shoot at a deer you don't remember the kick. Its a nice gun to carry in the field if your going to be out for a good while.                
[img]http://www.beretta.com/images/ES100-RIFLED_-SLUG_copy2.jpg[/img]

-bricklayer

Link Posted: 9/7/2001 4:11:20 AM EDT
[#5]
1100............20GUAGE!.............[:)]
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:24:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Avoid flimsy folding stocks.  Perhaps that should go without saying, but nothing wakes you up like a flexing comb to the side of the head.  There's almost 40 foot pounds of recoil energy in the average 12 gauge when shooting slugs - use a nice fixed stock and you'll be more comfortable.

If you plan on ranges over 100 yards you'll likely need or want the accuracy of a bolt action gun with a fixed barrel and a fast twist rate.  I've heard credible stories of 200 yard shots with top end bolt action slug guns.  Of course, the saboted ammo for that type of thing costs a bit more too.

My personal setup is a Mossberg 500 with 1-36" rifled barrel and basic iron sights.  It doesn't stabilize the longer sabot slugs well at all - I tried a box of those and found only one shot on a 4'x6' target at 100 yards.  Rifled or foster type slugs seem to shoot OK in this gun - three shot groups at 80 yards run about 5" which can be attributed in part to my shooting and the crappy sights.  Casting your own slugs might save some $ if you shoot lots of 'em.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:36:00 AM EDT
[#7]
I've owned a number of slug shooting setups over the years. My favorite and current shooter is a Remington 11-87 SP with a rifled cantilever barrel topped with a 2-7X Leupold shotgun scope. This gun will consistently print 2-3 inch groups at 100 yds with Lightfield Hybreds. I have dropped maybe 10 deer with this setup over the past 6 seasons.

Bolt actions are OK. I picked up a Browning A Bolt this past spring and shot it a bit over the summer. It is more accurate than my 11-87, but not by enough that would make me keep it for actual hunting purposes. Just sold the A Bolt yesterday. I keep thinking of a hefty 2.5 yr old 6 point that came charging out of a corn lot 2 Novembers ago after I grunted. He immediately saw me move in the tree stand and started beating feet through a cluster of trees. I hit him on the run 3 of 4 shots (2 less than lethal-ie clipped his back above spine) within a matter of seconds. I don't think I could have done that with a bolt gun. FWIW, that buck is just about the only deer of nearly 30 I have killed over the past 14 hunting seasons that I had to shoot at more than once. But it was mighty nice having quick followup shots when they were needed.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:40:19 AM EDT
[#8]
i have a question regarding CHOKED shotguns.
if i wanted to shoot SLUGS out of my 11-87 semi auto Remington, which one of the chokes would be best to have up front for best accuracy?(i have every choke)
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:45:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i have a question regarding CHOKED shotguns.
if i wanted to shoot SLUGS out of my 11-87 semi auto Remington, which one of the chokes would be best to have up front for best accuracy?(i have every choke)
View Quote

A rifled choke.  Cabela's had 'em for some guns - dunno about the 11-87 though.  Other than that, IC is usually recommended.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:52:46 AM EDT
[#10]
My guess is that you would want use an open cylinder for slugs. Chokes are for focusing pellet patterns at varying ranges and will just interfere with slug accuracy.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:25:59 PM EDT
[#11]
ok the deal with chokes is. acuaract isnt the issue but its recomended you use a cylender for rifled slugs. sa far as the rifled chokes go, im not sure 2-3 inches of rifleing is better than having a rifled slug.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 7:48:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I use a Remington 11-87 with a plain 26" field barrel. I install those clamp on style fiber optic "rifle" sights. At 50yds, I can put 5 shots into a cloverleaf. I use Winchester Foster style slugs with a skeet choke. Winchester slugs are deadly accurate, because they are slightly oversized. Try them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:47:23 AM EDT
[#14]
aww, he looks so happy, like a pet or somthing.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 12:50:58 PM EDT
[#15]
That pic looks like it should come with a ransom note [:D]
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 1:20:36 PM EDT
[#16]
12ga 870 with a smooth deer barrel.  Got the barrel for $50 from a dealer who couldn't unload it because everyone wants the rifled bores for sabot slugs.

Using Remington slugs and a Simmons 2-7X on Aimpoint mount gives 3-4" at 100yds.

Plenty good enough for my purposes.

Have heard really good things from a guy I trust  on those Lightfield sabot slugs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 1:40:29 PM EDT
[#17]
my rational is as fallows: a smooth bore slug barrel is a bit over 100 in most cases. sometimes around 120to140. a fully rifles barrel is about 200 in most cases. walmart has a rifled barrel, rilfe action shotgun with sights and a scope base for 160. thats right in the middle, and im thinkin more accurate than a 870 converson.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 6:36:03 AM EDT
[#18]
My personal slug gun is a Savage Model 210F. It comes factory with a 24" fuly rifled slug barrel and a 3" chamber and has a 2 shot internal magazine. It is also bolt action, wich as most of you would agree helps in the accuracy department as much as the fuly rifled barrel. When combined with the new Winchester Partition Gold slugs and sighted in 2" high at 100 yrds., this is an HONEST 200 yard deer gun. One word of advice I learned from personal experience last week is to remove the factory mounted scope mount and put Loc-Tite blue on the threads and reassemble.
Link Posted: 9/10/2001 7:26:56 AM EDT
[#19]
My slug gun is a Mossberg Model 500 with a 24inch barrel (smooth bore).  It groups at 3" at 100 yards.  With the short barrel recoil is quite stiff.  My buddy has the same model with a 26inch barrel and it has what seems like half the recoil.  I use a Tasco Pro-Point 3 for a sight.  I think this is a great combination for white tail hunting in the Northeast.  

My total investment in this rig is less than $200 red-dot included.

OSA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top