Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/6/2001 7:05:58 PM EDT
I know, I know...

This topic has probably already been beaten to death, but I don't recall seeing it lately...

Anyway, I'm picking up a new COLT next week, and it's got a 20" 1/7 twist barrel.

Is 55 gr FMJ too light, or would 62 gr be optimum ?

I'm running low on ammo, and will be ordering again shortly.

What do you guys suggest ???

(keep in mind I also have a 20" 1/9 twist Bushy)
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:18:50 PM EDT
[#1]
[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/8-1-01.jpg[/img]

Done with a new COLT 1-7", with 55gr. reloaded ammunition at 100 yards.  7 shot group, ironsights (last one was a flier, thus not pictured).

I've heard numerous arguments about "over stabilization", which might honestly be true.  However, at the target range in which you'll engage using 55gr ammo (that is, <200 yards) I don't see why this stuff isn't a good range plinking load.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
55 grain in my 1/7 Colt is wonderful. It will be fine in yours too, don't spend the extra cash to buy 62 grain. Unless you are gonna shoot at LONG range, say past 300 yards, it won't make that much difference. I have shot as light as 50 grain in mine and at 100 yards it still shot excellent, I think this twist argument against 1/7 is BS (Barbara Streisand).
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:28:22 PM EDT
[#3]
55 will work in both 1x7 and 1x12 barrewls but the heavier bullets(62and up)will not work in the 1x7.the 69smk should also work excellent
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 7:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
55 will work in both 1x7 and 1x12 barrewls but the heavier bullets(62and up)will not work in the 1x7.the 69smk should also work excellent
View Quote

Pardon but:
Heavier bullets = faster twist; i.e. 1 complete revolution of rifling in 7 inches.

Lighter bullets = slower twist; i.e. 1 complete revolution of rifling in 12 inches.

This is why most bolt action hunting rifles in .223 are 1/12 or even 1/14 twist as most varmint hunters shoot lighter bullets; 40, 45, & 50 grain are very popular on vermin & such.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#5]
55 is fine in the 1/7 Only the varmit stuff comes apart, plus its cheaper you wont notice the 62 gn improvment.. Hey btip, Its more like this; the longer the bullet the faster the twist and the shorter the bullet the slower the twist.
GG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top