Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/5/2001 10:00:30 PM EDT
I just picked this up today. I had ordered it special since they didn't have the ported one with adjustable sights in stock at the shop that I wanted. It's a full size Springfield V-12 ported SS with adjustable sights. I have two questions. Is that wear on the slide area with the red arrow pointing to it normal from test fire and working the action a few times? My digital camera really shows the wear when I look at it with my naked eye I only notice it slightly. Am I being to picky? I'm just trying to figure out how the wear got there and how since the slide only moves straight back and not downward correct? Also, I accidentally released the slide without a round in the chamber I was told that it damages the trigger and puts unnecessary stress on the internal parts etc. From doing it once should I worry about the possible damage? These are probably really stupid questions but this is my first 1911 style handgun. I'm still getting used to the safety's.Here's the pic:
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=51205&a=13725138&p=53840419&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

John
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I can't say if that wear is normal, I don't see what friction there would cause the wear.  I can say that the 1911 looks "used" and acquires finish wear a lot faster than a Sig or Glock, and if you are going to shoot the gun to any extent I wouldn't worry about it.

"Conventional wisdom" says don't drop the slide on an empty chamber.  I don't know anyone personally who has ever broken anything doing this but supposedly it is hard on the internals.

BTW congrats on a nice-looking piece.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:43:07 PM EDT
[#2]

Thanks...
I do plan on shooting the crap out of it more or less. With still taking care of it with cleaning it properly etc...but,I have always babied my guns and I think I should start enjoying them instead! My wife says I'm to anal by taking so much care not to put undue wear on my stuff. But If I died next week what good would that pristine 1911 be in the safe?

John
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:44:05 PM EDT
[#3]
looks very defective to me!  So to do you a favor and keep you from getting hurt send it to me!  Actually very pretty peice, nice choice! And i cant see any undue wear on it ...pat
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Beagles,

Big mistake going with the 1911.  Now this is the only pistol you will want to shoot.  There is just something about that single action.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:57:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Beagles,

Big mistake going with the 1911.  Now this is the only pistol you will want to shoot.  There is just something about that single action.
View Quote

That's what everyone keeps telling me. I'm sure there will be a second one in my future if I enjoy this as much as I think I will. Not very easy to conceal it though....Maybe in the winter. But I wear a T-shirt out here all year round here. Not that I bought it for a carry gun but I just thought once in a while it would be a change. I usually carry a SIG P232.

John
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:05:35 PM EDT
[#6]
A few more pics...It's been a while since I got the digital camera out so I got carried away a little.....
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=51205&a=532526&p=53840298&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
From this angle you cant see it as much:
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=51205&a=532526&p=53840297&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]
My new wallpaper on my computer:
[img]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=51205&a=532526&p=53840300&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

John

Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Kimber Ultra and Compact are smaller than your 232.  I just wish I lived in a free state that has that option.  Right now I have a full stainless commander sized Kimber.  Next handgun will be a full sized Kimber.  There is really no better feeling handgun to shoot.  Solid.  Recoil feels almost pleasurable, a nice solid THUNK rather than the whip of a .40.  Trigger is just a "snick".  Bullets go right where you expect them to.  You will be hooked man.  My only regret was that I bought my Kimber a month after my Sig 229 so I never really had a chance to love that pistol.  Enjoy my friend.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:12:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I must say I was very close to buying a Kimber Eclipse, but I just had enough saved to buy the Springfield and I had already ordered it and put $150 deposit down before I saw the Eclipse. I just really think that Eclipse it such a good looking handgun besides the fact it's a Kimber. I'm thinking next year around the time I get my Taxes back I will be getting a Kimber carry model.
My next gun is going to be one of those Vepr 7.62x39 AK type Rifles.

John
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:31:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Mmmm, Eclipse... Been looking at those myself though they are a bit out of my budget.  My brother has been driving himself crazy trying to figure out a way to afford one.  They go for a little over a grand out this way in California, not the hotbed of pistol bargains.

Oh, and to be able to buy a VEPR. Actually I would want one of those new russian ak conversions gunsmoke has.  AKs were my first love, I used to make fun of my brother and his Colt "poodle shooter".
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:51:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Mmmm, Eclipse... Been looking at those myself though they are a bit out of my budget.  My brother has been driving himself crazy trying to figure out a way to afford one.  They go for a little over a grand out this way in California, not the hotbed of pistol bargains.

Oh, and to be able to buy a VEPR. Actually I would want one of those new russian ak conversions gunsmoke has.  AKs were my first love, I used to make fun of my brother and his Colt "poodle shooter".
View Quote

I have a pretty good relationship with a local dealer who happens to tell me this after the fact that I ordered my Springfield from another local guy I have done business with a while that he will sell me a NIB Eclipse full size or compact for $849.99! He normally sells them for $899.99 and the reason he sells them so cheap is that he is trying to get his old customers back because he sold his old shop and the rights to the customers. He was the number 2 Kimber dealer last year, too and gets shipments of Kimber's regularly when other guys only get 3-5 at a time he gets 10-15. Plus he sells about 100 guns a week online. As per the agreement of the sale of his business he's not allowed to contact any of his old customers. the only way he gets the word out is by constantly placing ads in the paper. He has been selling Glocks $12 over cost for a month now! He's crazy yet ruthless! I'm buying the Vepr from him for $499. He sold me a brand new factory H&K USP .45 10rd mag last week for $32 I thought that was a bargain, too.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:11:49 AM EDT
[#11]
The only thing I can think of that would cause that is a sloppy slide. SA- another quality Mexican product. Shoulda got the Kimber. And get rid of that power mag unless you're into having FTF's at the worst possible moment.Call Wilson, the 47D is awesome. Also I have never heard releasing the slide on empty will harm the trigger. It is hell on extractors though.You should probably also dry fire this weapon whenever you need to drop the hammer, not let it off with your thumb.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:26:53 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:29:22 AM EDT
[#13]
BEAGLE:

You shouldn't see wear there because the wear happens UNDER the slide, not below it.  That would indicate either poor craftsmanship, handling, or an unbalanced slide (unlikely).  I bet this has been shot a bit.

ALSO, while that's a fine pistol, I would not recommend a ported 1911 for anything OTHER THAN target shooting.  Definitely not for concealed carry or defense.  Here's why:

1)  Lead fragments (almost mircoscopic)and igniting gunpowder (FLASH) will come shooting up out of those ports.  You DO NOT want any body part even close to that area of the pistol and it will hurt you bad.  In a defensive situation, it is VERY FEASIBLE that you will be shooting you gun close into your body...possibly against your chest if your attacker is close.  VERY DANGEROUS FOR YOU.

2)  A full-sized Government model 1911 doesn't have much recoil anyway, so no need to compensate the barrel.

3)  The .45acp load is quite slow because of the heavy bullet.  It needs as much pressure as possible to get up to an acceptable velocity for accurate shooting.  So, you are going to need to either buy hotter loads, or lighter grained bullets.

I would send this back with reservations about this marring on the frame.  If they take your money back, just order the stainless UNCOMPENSATED model.  Springfield makes every bit a good of gun as Kimber, so don't worry about the other guys comments.

If you want to talk off-line, email me.

My two pennies...
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:39:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 6:45:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
if it was purchased as a NEW gun i'd take it back. If it was presented as used and it functions ook i'd live with it.
View Quote

I AGREE 100%.

Forgot to mention--one of the best books on 1911 pistols is "The Tactical 1911" by Dave Lauck.  Incredible information from not only an LEO trainer, but exceptional gunsmith.  Little things like 7 round mags are more reliable than 8 round mags, and the 8s feed slightly different on the last round.   Excellent book for $20...go get it on Amazon.com or something.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:00:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:33:43 PM EDT
[#17]
I remember a letter in one of gun magazines asking about dropping the slide on an empty chamber. The answer was that on some finely tuned competition pistols it can possibly damage the trigger mechanisim. Didn't give details on what it would do to it, but didn't seem to concerned about doing it to a stock pistol. Sorry, but I can't remember what book it was. Also, I don't know who answered the letter and how knowledgable he was, I don't always agree with some of these writers.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 2:49:03 PM EDT
[#18]
I have several 1911 model Colts and have since gone with Kimber. Their manual tells you Not to drop the slide on an empty chamber. I Love my Kimbers, no rattles or shakes
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It looks like there was a low spot in the frame when it was cast. When they surfaced ground the sides of the frame that spot didn't clean up. If the frame rails are 100% (no low spots) then there should be nothing to worry about. I would be a little upset about the appearance. Its hard to tell by that picture, maybe a CLOSE UP of the spot? BTW, is that your SN?!! 999999?!!!  
View Quote

No, I just cut and pasted the 9's so my actual SN wasn't shown.....

After reading all these post I decided to take it back to the shop to see what they can do for me? I hope they will take it back and let me order a new one or something different.

John
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I have a pretty good relationship with a local dealer who happens to tell me this after the fact that I ordered my Springfield from another local guy I have done business with a while that he will sell me a NIB Eclipse full size or compact for $849.99! He normally sells them for $899.99 and the reason he sells them so cheap is that he is trying to get his old customers back because he sold his old shop and the rights to the customers.
View Quote

Oh, to live in a free state.  Guns, esp. handguns are so friggen expensive here.  I was looking at a ruger vaquero and they go for like $450.  WTF, everywhere else in the country is like a hundred bucks less.  And at gunshows the prices seem even higher than the gun shops.  We have a large shop that will have deals every once in a while (my sig229 was $550 NIB there) but you gotta wait for what you want which may never materialize.  In most shops a freakin Kimber Custom is $650.  Ugh.  So go ahead, rub it in. Thats fine.  Just fine.
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 11:41:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Beagles, are you sure that's a wear mark? I have a V-12 thats 2 years old, and with over 5000 rounds thru it, and I don't have any marks on the frame, that weren't put there by my kids putting it down on the shootin' bench. (Polished stainless scratches very easily!) WARNING!!! You will absolutely LOVE this pistol. I have had,(and still do), several 1911 variations, and will eat anything from factory 230gr. hardball,to 155gr.SWC handloads without a hiccup. I shoot alot of lead, and I do notice some minor leading around the ports, but I de-lead my barrel every thousand rounds, or every other cleaning.(Which ever comes first.) The V-12, being a bushingless design,(There isn't a barrel bushing, the barrel locks up into the slide) is a little harder to get back together than a standard 1911, but it only takes a few seconds more. No, you didn't hurt it by releasing the slide without a round, just don't make a habit of it. I like my V-12 as much as my Gold Cup series 70. It's as accurate and more reliable than my Kimber Gold Match, which can be finicky with wadcutters.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:25:01 AM EDT
[#22]
REASON FOR NOT RELEASING THE SLIDE ON AN EMPTY CHAMBER:

When you do this, you stress the extractor pin.  You can actually cause it to break, and definitely to become "untuned."  

Even worse for the extracter is to drop the slide when their is a bullet in the breech already.  This DEFINITELY is bad for the extractor.  The only proper way to drop your slide or load a round is to have it feed from the magazine.

These issues are not unique to 1911 pistols...if it's an automatic pistol, they are both bad for the pistol's extractor.
Link Posted: 9/7/2001 9:54:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Beagles,

Tell us more about your dealer friend who is selling the Kimbers.  I have to be teased about a place to get good deals from!!!  He would get a LOT of AR15.commies to do business with him at those prices!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top