Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2006 3:55:58 PM EDT

I hope there is a good reason for this, because I can't think of one.

I'm not holding my breath though.

Is it because we want to look, "compassionate" the the muslims, in a desperate bid to get them to stop MURDERING us by the thousands?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:00:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Because Lebanon is actually a struggling democracy.

Unfortunately, Hezbollah terrorist scum are PART of their democracy , and Syria still has their sticky fingers in their political process - but we have a vested interest in trying to keep their democracy alive.

All of the alternatives are worse - back to civil war, back to being a Syrian proxy, just another lawless haven for terrorists, etc.

Helping them rebuild is the best of bad choices here, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:03:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't know if this meets your criteria for a good reason or not but Hezbollah has invested heavily in Lebanon's infrastructure according to news reports I've seen on the web and on FOX News.  If that report is true though, I'd be a little concerned that the money would end up in Hezbollah's bank accounts.  Not that they need it since Iran's their main source of funding as I understand it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:04:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Before ranting about things you have no knowledge of, it might be wise to read this book:

www.amazon.com/gp/product/0385413726/102-1251545-6820109?v=glance&n=283155

Lebanon is home to millions of christians as well as sunni and shia muslims.  I don't have the time or patience to go into the modern history of that part of the world.    
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:04:25 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Unfortunately, Hezbollah terrorist scum are PART of their democracy , and Syria still has their sticky fingers in their political process - but we have a vested interest in trying to keep their democracy alive.

All of the alternatives are worse - back to civil war, back to being a Syrian proxy, just another lawless haven for terrorists, etc.

I'd be surprised if the contribution made much difference in the hearts of the people there.  From what I've read on Drudge and heard on FOX News, Hezbollah is seen in pretty good light over there.  Perhaps I'm mistaken though.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:05:47 PM EDT
[#5]
bush doctrine...

take one stable country (or at least stable not long ago). stir and shake vigorously.. when the dust settles add liberal amounts of cash.. the more the merrier... wave your magic wand and..

WALLA (or perhaps W'ALLAHU).. instant middle beastern democracy wherein the voters elect militant jihadis who are now organized and unopposed in the country and more able to cause serous problems..

footntoes: see GAZA, IRAQ..
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:05:49 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Before ranting about things you have no knowledge of, it might be wise to read this book:

ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0385413726.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

Lebanon is home to millions of christians as well as sunni and shia muslims.  I don't have the time or patience to go into the modern history of that part of the world.    

That wasn't exactly a rant there fella.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:07:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Dude, every country is on America's tit.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:07:49 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'd be surprised if the contribution made much difference in the hearts of the people there.  From what I've read on Drudge and heard on FOX News, Hezbollah is seen in pretty good light over there.  Perhaps I'm mistaken though.

I agree and you're not mistaken. Waste of $250M.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:39:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I'll bet even the Hezzies will be more appreciative of this money than the folks from New Orleans who will be featured in the news this week.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:48:29 PM EDT
[#10]
Tax dollars at work.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:54:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Bush is only spending money that average Americans won't.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:00:53 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Bush is only spending money that average Americans won't.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0385413726.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.gif

An excellent novel IMHO. The teenage daughter of a Lebonese friend let me borrow it after telling me about it for a while.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#14]
"...evil will always triumph, because good is dumb"  - Dark Helmet, Spaceballs (the movie)
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:16:17 PM EDT
[#15]
What if we gave them 155mil?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Because they have really, really, really, beautiful women there.  That's why.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 5:53:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Lost a good deal of respect for the powers that be for that one

unfuckingbeliveable
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top