Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2006 2:32:23 PM EDT
news.yahoo.com/fc/business/aviation_security

HOUSTON - A stick of dynamite was found in a college student's checked luggage on a Continental Airlines flight from Argentina, authorities said, in one of six security incidents Friday affecting U.S. flights. Federal authorities were investigating why the student, who got off the Continental plane in Houston before it continued to Newark, N.J., had the explosive, FBI spokeswoman Shauna Dunlap said.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
What was his name?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:38:35 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
What was his name?

they wont release his name, cause that would give cause for "racial profiling"
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:38:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Durka Durka...Jihad
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
What was his screenname?

Fixed.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:50:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What was his screenname?

Fixed.

DurkaDJ556

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, damn straight, we want a name!!!!!

Interesting he got off the flight early....I am sure his bag did not....maybe a less than suicidal bomber...trying to get off before the boom?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:51:48 PM EDT
[#7]
probaly a M-1000 fire cracker...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:53:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What was his name?

I bet we can cross out "John O'Malley" on the short list.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#9]
Earlier version of the article said it was just residue.  That has been updated.

www.wnbc.com/news/9738887/detail.html
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Earlier version of the article said it was just residue.  That has been updated.

www.wnbc.com/news/9738887/detail.html

been updated to say a stick.. i'm gonna go out on a limb and bet they re-update it and its residue again..

why in today's world would you put a stick of dynomite in our luggage? i could understand if it was attached to a timer... you're a bomber. but otherwise you are an idiot looking to spend some significant time with some pretty harsh people...

ETA... mayhap it just rolled off the table and fell into his bag whilst he was packing.. happens to me all the time, grenades, law rockets, landmines. flame throwers.. i have to go thru my luggage all the time and toss out various implements of destruction that manage to find their way in there..
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:09:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What was his name?

they wont release his name, cause that would give cause for "racial profiling"

from yahoo..The student, Howard McFarland Fish, 21, was in federal custody and authorities determined his actions were not acts of terrorism, according to the Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:18:35 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What was his name?

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
What was his name?

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:21:27 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
...why in today's world would you put a stick of dynomite in our luggage?...

Did someone say "DYN-O-MITE"?

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:27:10 PM EDT
[#15]
I wonder if they will auction it off like other confiscated items.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:30:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

been updated to say a stick.. i'm gonna go out on a limb and bet they re-update it and its residue again..

How large of a wager would you like to make?  Don't get weak in the knees now.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:39:07 PM EDT
[#17]
This sounds like a Three Stooges sort of caper, doesn't it?

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

Man, I feel SO good about the TSA.  You can't bring a bottle of water onboard but you
can check dynamite in your luggage.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:39:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what kinda odds you givin?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
This sounds like a Three Stooges sort of caper, doesn't it?

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!

Man, I feel SO good about the TSA.  You can't bring a bottle of water onboard but you
can check dynamite in your luggage.

CJ

I don't think that there are any TSA agents in Argentina and it was probably Customs or TSA who found the item when the aircraft entered the country.

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:42:27 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's just say that I am secure enough in my knowledge of what was found that I wouldn't consider it a wager.  Still want odds?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:43:51 PM EDT
[#21]
I just heard on CNN it was a "Partial" stick of dynamite.    (1943 hrsCST)
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:45:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just heard on CNN it was a "Partial" stick of dynamite.    (1943 hrsCST)

I don't know if it was or wasn't actually dynamite, but it was labelled that way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:46:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Yeah, damn straight, we want a name!!!!!

Interesting he got off the flight early....I am sure his bag did not....maybe a less than suicidal bomber...trying to get off before the boom?

A stick of dynamite - not a bomb (no triggering device)...

In CHECKED luggage (no hijack potential - stored in baggage compartment where no one can get to it)...

Somehow I have a feeling this is another 'Look @ me, I can sneak this thru security' deal - I wonder if he's a reporter....

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Let's just say that I am secure enough in my knowledge of what was found that I wouldn't consider it a wager.  Still want odds?

if you 'KNOW' .. that is have evidence you coudl testify in court or have first hand knowledge of someone who can give such testimony... then game over. (please details).. do you have more info than is being reported in the various wires? fill us in.

if not.. entertain me with odds...
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:48:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I think he just wante to go fishing and wanted to try doing it the old fashioned way.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 3:55:28 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

if not.. entertain me with odds...

I'll give you 3 to 1 for $25.  If I win you can promise to send the money to GOA, NRA-ILA, or VCDL.

As I posted earlier, I don't know if the item was actually dynamite, but it was an item and not residue as you stated.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:17:33 PM EDT
[#27]

I don't think that there are any TSA agents in Argentina and it was probably Customs or TSA who found the item when the aircraft entered the country.

Not TSA but international flights are screened to a kinda sorta TSA standard.  At least in my experience with Canada and Australia.  Perhaps someone with more international flights will chime in.  For instance I flew out of Calgary the first day the banned liquids and gels and the Canadian screeners took these items.  I belive I was able to fly on domestic flights in Australia with a knife post September 11, but could be wrong.

I do know soldiers who had grenades etc in checked luggage coming back from Iraq that were not found until they cleared US customs so I could be wrong.

Regards,

James
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 4:24:13 PM EDT
[#28]
He obtained the dynomite in Argentina.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:28:31 PM EDT
[#29]

FBI: Dynamite found in luggage
Reports indicate that he had bomb-making components in his luggage.

In Buenos Aires, Marcelo Sain, head of Argentina's Airport Security Police, told local television that authorities found "a Coca-Cola bottle with mud, and inside it was a tube with ammonium nitrate, a little bit of dynamite and a detonator," according to Reuters.

In Houston, KTRK-13 quoted law enforcement sources as saying that the man had a blasting cap, a homemade fuse and a quarter-pound of ammonium nitrate, in addition to the dynamite.

Mark Mancuso, spokesman for the Houston Airport System, said he could not confirm the allegations but that "some additional items of contraband may have been found."

He concealed it. He also had detonators so he intended to use it.

Terrorism? Maybe. Or maybe he would have just ended up in a video on YouTube showing him putting the dynamite in his rectum and detonating it while riding a skateboard off his parent's roof.

Dumbass

Link Posted: 8/25/2006 6:41:12 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
I think he just wante to go fishing and wanted to try doing it the old fashioned way.

Ahhh, the old Dupont spinner.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:02:23 PM EDT
[#31]
Really, how fucking stupid do you have to be to do something like that, even by accident.
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 7:10:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Very interesting.  The story has now changed to "traces" of dynamite.  How the hell can you confuse "traces" with an entire stick?

Story has changed
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top