He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:19:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:19:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:21:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Good for you. We need more attitudes like yours.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:22:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:23:44 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you please take your boot out of my ass

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:23:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Stinky people suck.  Lots of Indians don't wear deodorant, not sure if that's some kind of religious thing.  It is unpleasant to ride in an elevator with them.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:25:50 AM EDT
[#9]
The body odor really does not bug me, (years of dealing with homeless) It's the rotten meat smell on their breath that comes from not having brushed their teeth or flossed since the Carter administration. That smell is horrible.  I've actually asked people to back off about 5 feet during conversations because of it.

It's always the guys wondering why they can't get a date too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Stinky people suck.  Lots of Indians don't wear deodorant, not sure if that's some kind of religious thing.  It is unpleasant to ride in an elevator with them.

Feather or dot?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Hey did you ever take a second to think that he may of been a down on his luck computer tech? Living out of his car!
Hell by your description of him, you have described at least 75% of the members here!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:28:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I remember riding on the subway once and a guy who pooped his pants got on.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:28:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i was asked to prescreen a new tech we were looking to hire.

this kid shows up <early 20 something> wearing a pair of dress slacks that were covered in some form of aminal hair and crumbs from breakfast. A white button down shirt that was faintly off white from lack of washing and so wrinkled i am not sure it had been ironed since the day it was purchased. black Wingtip shoes with toes so scuffed i could see patches of brown leather.

And he smelled.

i sent him home without even dicussing the job. He ask why and i told him exactly why. He disrepected me as an interviewer and my company by showing up looking like a welfare case. his interview was done in under 15 seconds.

He proceeded to tell me how this was discrimination as he was MOOOOOORE than qualified for the position. I told him the resume was not all of the job requirments. we also have a requirement to present a proffesional image. He was not it.

If you want a job..... take a damn bath, cut your hair, and wear clean clothes. If you can't afford a suit, no problem do your best to look your best. your first impression is the one that gets your foot in the door. Blow that, and you don't have a chance.

mike

ps.... have i mentioned how much i hate hippies.

I hear ya. TEsnevo and I worked at a place years ago that seriously hired a freakin' SLOB. The guy would come in clock in and then go out and put his socks and shoes on! He smelled BEFORE he started working. It was awful!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:28:52 AM EDT
[#14]
He claimed discrimination? Based on what? It doesn't take a lot of money to make yourself appear professional. A tie and dress shirt could be had for $30, and if you don't own an iron take it to the dry cleaner - it would cost no more than $5 to have it pressed (same for the pants). And for god's sake, take a flippin' shower!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:29:40 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

You are correct.  I used to have to go to the EE building at Clemson several times a week when I did some contract programming for the Navy, and I don't see how the students from the US handled being around people that stunk like that.  The worst offender I was around was a professor named Dr. Singh!  He should have known better since according to his resume that I read just before he was hired, he had been in either the US or Canada since 1976.z
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:29:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:30:58 AM EDT
[#17]
What I don't understand is,  why would it even be necessary to tell someone that?

In my little corner of the world,  cleanliness is something that practically everybody
understands and they LIKE to be clean.    This holds true for all of my family, friends,
and people I associate with.   You wouldn't have to explain this to ANY of them.

But occasionally,  I encounter someone that's NOT in my circle of friends and associates
who stinks...and it's very difficult for me to hold my tongue,  even though in those
situations I find it easy to hold my breath.  

I'll give somebody a break if they've obviously been working hard all day.  Construction
workers,  people who do manual labor,   they get a pass later in the day.   I don't mind
fresh dirt or fresh sweat all that much.   But people who don't have that plausible reason
to explain why their stench is knocking buzzards off of garbage trucks will NOT be well
treated by me though I won't tell them straight out that they stink and need a bath.

I choose not to tell them because I figure that anyone who'd be stinking like that with
no good excuse is PROBABLY crazy and I don't want to piss off a crazy person.  It's just
not very sensible.

CJ
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:33:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Good for you Mike!

Sounds like he needs a good old fashioned GI shower to get the point.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]
What a jackass........I don't blame you, I would've thrown his ass out without further discussion too.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:35:53 AM EDT
[#21]
TBS, would you be available to present your interview techniques to the folks at State Personnel... they could use some help from you.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Feather or dot?

Dot.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

i sent him home without even dicussing the job. He ask why and i told him exactly why. He disrepected me as an interviewer and my company by showing up looking like a welfare case. his interview was done in under 15 seconds.

He proceeded to tell me how this was discrimination as he was MOOOOOORE than qualified for the position. I told him the resume was not all of the job requirments. we also have a requirement to present a proffesional image. He was not it.

That's the part that TRULY boggles my mind.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:39:51 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well dang Prof , everyone can't be self cleaning.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:40:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:41:40 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well dang Prof , everyone can't be self cleaning.

This is true.  I really should be more understanding of those poor unwashed masses (literally) that don't have my magical gift.

(It was probably a mistake for me to post in this thread )
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:43:38 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hey did you ever take a second to think that he may of been a down on his luck computer tech? Living out of his car!
Hell by your description of him, you have described at least 75% of the members here!

well according to his resume he is currently gainfully employed with another company making over 30k per year. i think he makes enough to afford soap. hell i would have loaned him some.

30k? Man making scratch like that why leave!! Ok he sounds just plain lazy now, I bet it was living at home in his mom's basement..
You didn't happen to get his screen name did ya?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:44:01 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'll be adding BO to the ADA list soon enough.  Just wait....
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:46:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:47:18 AM EDT
[#30]
What is the position, if you don't mind me asking.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:48:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:49:45 AM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:54:07 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What is the position, if you don't mind me asking.

they are looking for a base PC tech for the pc group. mostly on the road point of sale and such. we actually don't even have a position open right now. why this kid even got an interview is beyond me. Must be someones stinky realtive.

So whats it pay? ANd where do I get an app?
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
actually it's pretty easy to teach my method. and i would be happy to do a seminar failry cheap.

basically it's the 4 senses approach....

first is smell..... you stink strike 1
sight.... you look like shit strike 2
touch... if i cringe at having to shake your hand strike 3 your out

if you pass those

hearing.... if i hear you speaking like a dumbass or it's obvious you don't have a clue it's over. i can live with lack of formal training just don't try to bullshit me. i will reccomend a guy that just flat says... I dont know... vs a guy that BS's me all day long.

The trick is to at least sound like you know what you are talking about. I got a job doing this, and i did very well after i learned. When i was taking flying lessons i had a hard time talking on the radio and flying in the pattern at the same time. An insructor that was listing in on the ground commented on my saying the call-sign numbers backwards, but he said ''at least you sounded like you knew what you were talking about''.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 6:56:17 AM EDT
[#35]
I can' t understand that either.

I'll be the first to admit that when I sweat, I stink. I am extremely aware of it and avoid getting sweaty. An office job helps. Bathing regularly, sometimes twice a day works wonders. Took 5 or 6 tries to find a deodorant that works well with my chemistry, but I finally got one.

For every interview I've ever been on, I wore a suit--even the warehouse packing job.  It doesn't take much to look good, even a fat bastard like me.  It's a sign of respect.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:03:02 AM EDT
[#36]
One of my warehouse guys showed up with a mohawk on Monday.
I made him get his head shaved during his lunch break.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:08:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Here's a hint:

Dark grey or Navy Blue single breasted suit -conservative cut, nothing trendy.
White shirt.
Uninteresting tie.
Black oxford shoes with leather soles (please, no square toes).
Black leather belt.

Suit and shirt cleaned and pressed.

Shave.

Do not have noticeable hair product. Hair should be neat, freshly cut.

How hard is that?

Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:08:36 AM EDT
[#38]
$30 K is more than enough to buy soap, shirt, coat, tie, dress pants and shoes. When I worked as a probation officer I made around $24K a year. We were expected to dress in shirt and tie, Monday thru Friday, and we were not given a clothing allowance. Needless to say I didn't always have the fanciest ties or Armani shirts, but I was clean and looked professional.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:09:27 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:13:28 AM EDT
[#40]
This reminds me of my old boss. I worked in a warehouse and also delivered chemicals to farms. He wanted me to dress nice and not look like a bum, only problem was that i always had grease and chemicals on my clothes. We went round and round and he finally settled down after i told him he could buy the clothes for me because i was not spending my money on clothes that would be ruined after one day.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:14:42 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
actually it's pretty easy to teach my method. and i would be happy to do a seminar failry cheap.

basically it's the 4 senses approach....

first is smell..... you stink strike 1
sight.... you look like shit strike 2
touch... if i cringe at having to shake your hand strike 3 your out

if you pass those

hearing.... if i hear you speaking like a dumbass or it's obvious you don't have a clue it's over. i can live with lack of formal training just don't try to bullshit me. i will reccomend a guy that just flat says... I dont know... vs a guy that BS's me all day long.

You forgot taste though!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:41:40 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Here's a hint:

Dark grey or Navy Blue single breasted suit.
White shirt.
Uninteresting tie.
Black oxford shoes.
Black leather belt.

Suit and shirt cleaned and pressed.

Shave.

Do not have noticeable hair product. Hair should be neat, freshly cut.

How hard is that?

you would think not very wouldn't you.

No, it "shouldn't" be tough at all. Unfortunatly, sometimes it is difficult.

Interesting story:
While in the Navy and deployed I went in to shower late one afternoon before my shift (I worked nights), and there was a guy standing outside an occupied shower stall. He was still there when I was leaving, so I asked what was up.
He was there to ensure that the sailor in the shower actually showered, and used soap, etc. Apparently the guy in the shower was enough of a dirt-bag that he had to be ordered to clean up and maintain even basic personal hygene standards
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:50:41 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
$30 K is more than enough to buy soap, shirt, coat, tie, dress pants and shoes. When I worked as a probation officer I made around $24K a year. We were expected to dress in shirt and tie, Monday thru Friday, and we were not given a clothing allowance. Needless to say I didn't always have the fanciest ties or Armani shirts, but I was clean and looked professional.

+1  When I worked retail ($5.50/hour), I was expected to wear a dress shirt and tie.  $30k seemed like a fortune at the time.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 7:55:32 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:05:52 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
So I tucked my hair up under my hat and I went in to ask him why
So I took off my hat I said imagine that, huh, me working for you

"signs signs everywhere signs"...............Thanks to you, I now have that song stuck in my head!!!
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:06:33 AM EDT
[#46]
We had a guy show up for an interview for an analyst position (like 50-60k) in his flip flops/tommy bahama shirt and light slacks.  too bad for him he probably would have at least gotten in the final 3 if he made any attempt to look professional.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:12:55 AM EDT
[#47]
let me guess, he is white?

in my experience, white people smell the most
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:29:55 AM EDT
[#48]
I've had a few winners come through as well...one, I recall, had a t-shirt that proclaimed "I've fallen and I can't reach my blunt"
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:36:29 AM EDT
[#49]

I'll be the first to admit that when I sweat, I stink. I am extremely aware of it and avoid getting sweaty. An office job helps. Bathing regularly, sometimes twice a day works wonders. Took 5 or 6 tries to find a deodorant that works well with my chemistry, but I finally got one.

I am a big sweaty guy. I often ride my motorbike home to lunch and when I got back to the office I often would be aware that I stank, really made me self-concious. I tried all the deodorants especially industrial strength nothing worked. Well, my wife is very helpfull and suggested perhaps it would help if I shaved my arm pits. Wow, how gay is that I thought. I am kind hairy so gave it a try and that made the difference, along with industrial strength deodorant. So if anyone should notice and be bold enough to ask why my arm pits are shaved I tellem, 'I'm in training'. Just don't ask what for.
Link Posted: 8/24/2006 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
...suggested perhaps it would help if I shaved my arm pits...

That also helped me.  I often have to work 16 hours straight and sometimes as long as 40 hours straight so I need all of the help I can get.  I found that trimming the hair short with a pair of scissors works almost as well and doesn't look nearly as girlish.  You might want to try trimming rather than shaving.z
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top