Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2001 10:45:04 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:12:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I always let companies know what kind of service I got, whether it was good or bad. The moving company that moved my wife and I out here was really happy to get my letter. I had gotten everybody's name involved in the move, and named them in my letter to the president of the company. They called and asked if they could print my letter in their newsletter.

Of course, I've also written some fairly negative letters, explaining why I would never shop/do business with them again, and would attempt to convince friends and family to do the same.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:15:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The customer service at my Circuit City sucks.  Staples and Office Depot are no better though.  No one cares anymore.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:17:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I do the same thing, with the writing of the letters.  It really does not take all that much time, and I know that I would really appreciate someone noticing that I am working quite hard at my job.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I spent 4 hours in CompUSA yesterday, and the only one that even approached me was my friend.  Ever walk into a store with a gun on your hip? You get funny looks like your going to carry off the children and sacrifice them, but everybody calls you sir, and most of the time, the manager will come over and help you directly.

Ice
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:36:44 PM EDT
[#5]
With Circuit City it depends on the location. The store in Orlando has shity customer service and just a poor attitude towards its customers. The CC on the East coast (45 minutes away in Melbourne and Merritt Island) is great.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:08:08 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't shop at Circus Shitty, I've never forgiven them for trying to shove that DIVX crap down our throats.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:22:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't shop at Circus Shitty, I've never forgiven them for trying to shove that DIVX crap down our throats.
View Quote

[size=6]DITTO![/size=6]

Any company that will sell a product (DVD) with one hand while using the other hand to destroy the product (DIVX) has serious ethical problems. Ain't never going back to CC.

Glad you had a good experience though.

P.S. Best Buy customer service sucks as well.

Short Story: I bought "Terminator" on DVD thinking it was updated with 5.1 sound. Well, the disk did not meet my expectations. I returned it to Best Buy. They told me that I could have another one, but not my money back. Not what I wanted... The conversation then went like this:

Me: Why can't I have my money back?
BB CS: It's our policy not to return money if the product has been opened.
Me: So, your store's policies are more important than my customer satisfaction?

Needless to say, I got a full refund.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 2:38:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:32:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I stopped going to CC when they wouldn't stop trying to push the extended warranty crap.  Are they still doing that?

I was at Macy's the other week buying at least two hundred dollars worth of clothes.  The lady at the register is taking her damn sweet time with one of the two people in front of me.  After taking ten minutes the next person goes up and is about to pay cash.  The register person asks her if she wants a Macy's card and the person says yes, so she spends another ten minutes processing her application.  I saw the manager walk up so I just tossed the clothes on the counter and started walking out.  The manager tried to stop me and offer to ring it up but I told him I was plain out of time.

I can't stand it when you WANT TO GIVE THEM MONEY but they don't care about taking it. [:(!]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Some loser at a rc helicopter store lost my friends business cause he was a POS snob.  Would have been an $800-900 sale.

Funny, you would think a small POS store would be doing all they can to make sales.

The customer service shemale was also a POS.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 4:58:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 5:09:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Don't get me started on gun stores.  Last fall I was in the market for a new .22 pistol.  Find a gun store I have not been to before but kinda near my work.  Walk in and start poking around.  Owner is chatting with a friend.  Find the pistol I want, about ten bucks more than Sportmart, but thats ok to help out a gun store. Guy keeps chatting.  I ask for help, guy says he'll be there in a minute.  Keeps chatting.  I'm in the store a total of about twenty five minutes.  I just walk out.  Guy lost a sure sale and any repeat business.

What are people thinking?

Another story: My wife last spring is looking at buying an expensive sports car.  Driving by the local dealer we see he has one in the color she wants.  Even though we were busy we pull in to the lot.  We wait.  Guy is talking to a couple other guys.  Knows were interested cause we have been in there several times.  We wait some more.  We wave, he ignores us.  We just left.  The guy was not in the middle of a deal cause we could hear them.  Maybe he didn't think we were ready to buy.  Oh well, cost him a large commission and we found a low mileage used one for much cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:27:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#14]
The difference between Worst Buy and Circuits Shitty? Best Buy has quotas for warranties and service plans, which they will push until they finally realize no one wants them. CC, on the other hand, has dudes on commission who, if they don't sell stuff, they don't eat. In short, you are better off building your own Laptops and DVD players because these stores are the new rage in 30 second, fake smile 1990's style customer service.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:10:35 PM EDT
[#15]
I think most of us would pay more to get better service.  But you have to realize the poor slobs get paid little and are not well supervised.  God help a manager who yells or tries to fire anyone.  Lawsuits would fly.  Try firing someone in a wheelchair or a woman.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:25:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Personally I don't like Circuit City commissioned salespeople.  Every time I set foot in the store I feel like a piece of crap attracting flies.  If you set one foot off of the main isle, it's like you step over a an invisible line and the sharks come out to play.
I like helpful sales people, but when they won't leave you alone and they're breathin' down your neck the whole time it isn't helpful.
They're in it to get their commission, that's about it.  If you find one that knows about the product you are one lucky guy.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 7:49:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:35:07 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm no fan of Circuit City, Best Buy, or any of the chain stores (see my comments regarding Wal-Fart, etc., in other threads). I certainly agree with [b]Lazyshooter[/b] about being hounded ("Just looking, thanks. Just looking, thanks anyway. JUST LOOKING GOD-DAMNIT!!!!!"). The last time I gave Best Buy any business was about seven-and-a-half years ago. They had a microwave oven advertised at a fairly good price, so needing one, I go to one of the Best Buy stores here get my stuff and go to pay for it. The little sales wench rings it up at $30 over what it was advertised. We haggle around about it being on sale, she gets the manager, and I show him the sales flyer that was in his very store. He gives me some cock 'n bull story about it only applying to the floor sample. The sales flyer doesn't say that, but he tells me that I'll get the very same warranty coverage and return privilege if I take the alternate. Can you say bait and switch? About a month-and-a-half down the road, the damned thing quits. I call Best Buy and let 'em know I'm having trouble and who do I need to see about exchanging this for a new one? Can't do it, they say; you'll have to send it in or we can send it in. I tell 'em that'll be fine, how long will that be? Their answer: ten to twelve weeks!!! I haggle around with them about that being unacceptable to me and they just say, too bad. So I get the manager and he starts telling me how he can't accept it as a return because it's been over thirty days and it being a floor sample, etc. I kindly reminded him of what he told me when I bought it about having the same warranty, return/exchange privilege, etc. He comes out with some horseshit about policy, etc. I moved in for the kill at that point and reminded him how Best Buy was advertising customer satisfaction and how they claimed that they were better than the other stores of their ilk and how I had bought my microwave based on their reputation and how I was now trying to make a good faith effort to compromise by only asking for an exchange and further, how would he want to be treated in the same situation? He gave me a new microwave and I left.

Now for Circuit City. About six months ago, I decided to buy my own cable modem rather than lease. Out of all of the online sources and local yokels, Circuit City was the only place that was able to get one in a reasonable amount of time. I place my order and go in to pick it up two or three days later. The little dorky sales girl tries to give me a different modem than what I had ordered (according to the box it was different). She starts telling me that it's the same as what I ordered because so-and-so says so. She refuses to let me open and inspect without paying for it and indicates that there'll be a restock fee if I open and return. I asked to speak to the manager and she starts getting nasty and rude about having other things to do. I pressed on for the manager and she finally called for him. I let him know that I'd driven a helluva long ways and I wasn't going to go home empty handed and I wasn't about to pay any restock fee for any bait and switch garbage. They came around to my way of thinking there, too (the modem turned out okay, but I think it was a rental return since it didn't match the model on the box).

Lesson learned: use the mom and pop stores. We have a few mom and pop electronic/appliance stores here that generally beat or at least get competitive with the chains.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top