Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2006 10:17:58 AM EDT
Say you're a US Senator, and a major gun ban bill comes up. Let's say it would reduce us to UK laws - no handguns whatsoever, no sem-auto rifles or shotguns, turn 'em all in or risk prison. Naturally, you would vote against it, but what if it passed anyways, and was signed into law? Would you just go about your business, or would you bug out in anticipation of a civil war, probably involving the assassination of lots of politicians? Or do something else?

Inspired by the pro-gun Senator in Enemies: Foreign and Domestic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:18:42 AM EDT
[#1]
I imagine executions on Capitol Hill are easier when you are an insider
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:18:55 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm not sure, will it stop terrorism too? 'Cause then it's a-okay.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:20:54 AM EDT
[#3]
as long as it keeps my family safe from criminals then im down for it
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:23:49 AM EDT
[#4]
I would advise all my constituents that the law is illegal, immoral, and need not be obeyed.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:28:05 AM EDT
[#5]
If by "civil war" you mean mass whining on internet forums...Jesus, if there ever were a civil war in the United States, it would not be over an AWB or UK-style gun ban.

What color is the sky in the fantasy world you people live in...?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#6]
As passionate as I am about this issue AND having some say in the outcome?  My fucking head would probably explode I would be so pissed.  Big ass mess all over the Senate floor.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:29:24 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd help organize the resistance and set myself up in a position of power in the new government, forever cementing my name in history.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
If by "civil war" you mean mass whining on internet forums...Jesus, if there ever were a civil war in the United States, it would not be over an AWB or UK-style gun ban.

Tinfoil color
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:30:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Hold a press conference.

Talk about eroding rights in America. Throw in a little bit about family values, bitch about same sex marriages and then ask for some contributions.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:31:09 AM EDT
[#10]
buy a much of guns and magazines while I still could and hide them
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:32:11 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

No telling what would happen. That's why I said that you might bug out in anticipation of a civil war.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#12]
I would filibuster the sumbitch. Take caffeine pills so I could keep on kickin.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I would filibuster the sumbitch. Take caffeine pills so I could keep on kickin.

You would filibuster the bill after it was passed?

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:11:35 AM EDT
[#14]
I would stay in the senate because my family might need the income, medical, and retirement benefits, plus the perks. I would "respect" the new law so other senators would let me stay in their club and be their pal so I could keep my job.

I would also act like I was all outraged and make all kinds of anti-new gun ban speeches so voters back home would think I was with them and trying to do everything in my power to get the law undone so I could keep my job.

"This above all: to thine ownself be true,  
 And it must follow, as the night the day,  
 Thou canst not then be false to any man."
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:14:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I'm not sure, will it stop terrorism too? 'Cause then it's a-okay.

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:19:37 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I would advise all my constituents that the law is illegal, immoral, and need not be obeyed.

+1

Isn't that what they tell business owners and LEOs when it comes to arresting/reporting ILLEGAL ALIENS?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 11:29:55 AM EDT
[#17]
I would introduce laws that would hold government accountable for the loss of life if a citizen were killed after being disarmed. I would add to that recently passed law that the .gov would have to compensate each gun owner for the actual value of their firearms. The actual value would be set by whatever the prices were before the ban, knowing that those prices would have skyrocketed.

In essence, I would do whatever it took to make the ban so prohibitively expensive to the .gov that it would be it would be unsustainable.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top