Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2006 9:41:46 AM EDT
I need 15 college credits ASAP, the subject and courses and everything else don't matter at all, they just have to be from a regionally accredited university and add up to 15 credits.  

So, what's the FASTEST way to get 15 college credits, and where do you recommend I get them?  Any online schools?  Going to a local community college or what have you will take way too long, I need to get these credits in about 4 weeks, so i'm thinking there may be an online school with expedited classes or something to that effect.

I found out today that half my credits for contract PFC for the Marine Corps don't count because I got them from AP classes in high school, so the OIC of my recruiting district consider them "real" college credits .  I wish they would have informed me of this months ago when I first DEP'd in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:43:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Evidently, go to any state university and take jogging and scuba classes. Just watch out...they'll try to fuck up your GPA.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:44:40 AM EDT
[#2]
or make a fake transcript
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:46:34 AM EDT
[#3]
4 weeks?

Maybe if this was the summer you could take 2 classes in the compressed semester and then 3 over the longer summer semester.  

You'd better be damn sure that they'll accept whatever courses you take from an online university as legitimate.  Those online jobbers are notorious as being unacceptable.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:48:35 AM EDT
[#4]
WTF?  My university gave me 25 semester hours for my high school AP credits.  Is there a way to escalate this?   Otherwise  15 credits is a full time load at any university.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:50:14 AM EDT
[#5]
CLEP!

www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

Study a little and go take them, I have a 10/10 record with CLEP, DANTES, and ECE tests.  

www.dantes.doded.mil/dantes_web/examinations/clepgeneral.htm
www.dantes.doded.mil/dantes_web/examinations/clepsubject.htm

Those are the pass rates from DoD for the last fiscal year, pick the ones with the highest percentage and go nuts.  

ETA:  One more thing, the difference between E-1 and E-2 may seem like a big deal right now,  but it doesn't really mean anything once you get in.  You'll get E-2 when you graduate boot anyway, right?  

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:50:58 AM EDT
[#6]
If you are really good you may be able to test out for credt at a local community college.  My daughter took some classes that were accelerated and she got all of them in about 4 weeks.  Online is good too but you better sign up quick!

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:51:37 AM EDT
[#7]
It is unlikely that a school that is actually accredited will be able to give you 15 credit hours in 4 weeks.  You could fit maybe 6 hours into that period of time during 'mini-mesters' but other than that I don't see how it's possible.

eta: Actually as others mentioned you can sometimes place out of classes.  Not sure what your skill sets are though (math, language, etc).
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#8]
In 4 weeks?

You could take CLEP/DANTES tests.... There are more than 30 tests you can take...

Other than that you are SOL.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I need 15 college credits ASAP, the subject and courses and everything else don't matter at all, they just have to be from a regionally accredited university and add up to 15 credits.  

So, what's the FASTEST way to get 15 college credits, and where do you recommend I get them?  Any online schools?  Going to a local community college or what have you will take way too long, I need to get these credits in about 4 weeks, so i'm thinking there may be an online school with expedited classes or something to that effect.

I found out today that half my credits for contract PFC for the Marine Corps don't count because I got them from AP classes in high school, so the OIC of my recruiting district consider them "real" college credits .  I wish they would have informed me of this months ago when I first DEP'd in.

Hey, if you wanna make PFC, just tell them that you aren't leaving until you get enough credits in school.  You aren't under any obligation, until you actually arrive at MCRD so you tell them to go fly a kite if you are so inclined.  Not trying to dog recruiters, just tellin' it like it is.  If they REALLY need you, then they'll "meritoriously" promote you before you leave.  Just be firm and let them know that you aren't shipping until you get finish your hours or get a meritorious promotion.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 9:56:55 AM EDT
[#10]
I need 15 college credits to enlist in the Marine Corps as well since I only have a GED. I started a thread about it and there was a decent discussion about it.

www.jobrelatedstuff.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=490410

That makes me wonder, would you be entering as a PFC if you had a GED and 15 college credits?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:00:51 PM EDT
[#11]
i had to do the same thing because i had a GED and two waivers to enter the army.

i took 5 simple classes at a community college.  got a 4.0 gpa, some nice pell grant money, and joined up.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
It is unlikely that a school that is actually accredited will be able to give you 15 credit hours in 4 weeks.  

That's my thought as well.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#13]

Originally Posted By texas1138

Hey, if you wanna make PFC, just tell them that you aren't leaving until you get enough credits in school.  You aren't under any obligation, until you actually arrive at MCRD so you tell them to go fly a kite if you are so inclined.  Not trying to dog recruiters, just tellin' it like it is.  If they REALLY need you, then they'll "meritoriously" promote you before you leave.  Just be firm and let them know that you aren't shipping until you get finish your hours or get a meritorious promotion.  

Tell them that they either have to accept the credits so you can get the promotion or you are not joining.  Until you swear in the last time right before you get on the plane you are not obligated yet.  Let them know that you want the credits accepted or you are going to wait until you can get some more credit hours.  They need you much more then you need them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:12:01 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
CLEP!

Study a little and go take them, I have a 10/10 record with CLEP, DANTES, and ECE tests.  

Those are the pass rates from DoD for the last fiscal year, pick the ones with the highest percentage and go nuts.  

ETA:  One more thing, the difference between E-1 and E-2 may seem like a big deal right now,  but it doesn't really mean anything once you get in.  You'll get E-2 when you graduate boot anyway, right?  

Unfortunately they don't count CLEP, DANTES, AP credits, or anything else that's "non-traditional" towards getting PFC in your contract.  My recruiter basically said they only accept credits earned traditionally at an accredited university, no CLEP exams or anything - wish he told me this when I first DEP'd in.  

Everyone is an E-1 when they graduate boot unless they graduate as a squad leader, guide, etc. or if they had PFC in their contract when they enlisted from something like the college credits.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:13:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1 college is not the only way to get E-2 either. There are a few others.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#16]
That's not possible anywhere.
It will take you a full semester in four months to get 15 credits.
If you go to a school that has quarters or trimesters, then you could get 15 in three months.

It's August now, accelerated summer programs are over. But, they are usually compacted into about 4-6 weeks and you are in class almost all day long so you couldn't do more than three classes during that time, two to be more realistic, which would add up to 6 to 9 credits anyway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:16:53 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

While you are waiting for results for all the rest, find out if you can challenge the decision somehow.  Go to your school admin, go to the USMC, talk to friends, etc. to find out if you can do so. "The worst they can do is say NO!"

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Tell them that they either have to accept the credits so you can get the promotion or you are not joining.  Until you swear in the last time right before you get on the plane you are not obligated yet.  Let them know that you want the credits accepted or you are going to wait until you can get some more credit hours.  They need you much more then you need them.
I'm the most motivated poolee at my recruiting station and everyone there knows it, I lost more than 80 pounds for one reason only: to be able to join the Marines, my recruiter knows damn well that when push comes to shove i'm not going to back out no matter what, if I tried to tell him to accept the credits or i'm not joining he'd probably laugh and be like "John, you and I both know you've done too much to back out now and especially over something like this" and it's true.  

I see no problem with my ship date being pushed back a few weeks though so I can get the necessary credits, however, but i'm just hoping there's a quicker way.  
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:22:58 PM EDT
[#19]
how about you just skip this promotion, or take a quarter of school.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm the most motivated poolee at my recruiting station and everyone there knows it, I lost more than 80 pounds for one reason only: to be able to join the Marines, my recruiter knows damn well that when push comes to shove i'm not going to back out no matter what, if I tried to tell him to accept the credits or i'm not joining he'd probably laugh and be like "John, you and I both know you've done too much to back out now and especially over something like this" and it's true.  

I see no problem with my ship date being pushed back a few weeks though so I can get the necessary credits, however, but i'm just hoping there's a quicker way.  

You've done a lot to lose weight and get in shape. That's great. That doesn't mean it all goes away if you back out. You take four months, attend classes, stay in shape, then go in with the rank you want.

You have other options. If you took AP courses, you are probably smart. You could go to a university with an NROTC program and become a Marine officer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
CLEP!

Unfortunately they don't count CLEP, DANTES, AP credits, or anything else that's "non-traditional" towards getting PFC in your contract.  My recruiter basically said they only accept credits earned traditionally at an accredited university, no CLEP exams or anything - wish he told me this when I first DEP'd in.  

Everyone is an E-1 when they graduate boot unless they graduate as a squad leader, guide, etc. or if they had PFC in their contract when they enlisted from something like the college credits.

I always though the USMC promoted automatically to E2 after boot, I guess not.  You only have to have 6 months TIS though, by the time you get through with boot and your other training/schools you will be an E-2 or E-3 (depending on school length).  The difference between E-1 and E-3 is tiny compared to the differences later in your career.  I would just suck it up and go in an E-1, you seem squared away enough to end up a squad leader anyway, earn it the hard way.  

Decentralized Promotions means that the unit (company) is the promotion authority. By theory, the commander decides who gets promoted and who doesn't. In actuality, because there are no quotas for promotion for E-2s and E-3s, commanders pretty much promote everyone (as long as they do their job okay and don't get into trouble) who meet the "promotion criteria." The "promotion criteria" is set by the Marine Corps to ensure that the "promotion flow" remains stable, and everyone (regardless of MOS) can expect to be promoted at the same (approximate) time-frame.

The promotion criteria for promotion to the ranks of E-2 to E-3 are:

* Private First Class (E-2) - Six months Time-In-Service (TIS) with six months Time-In-Grade (TIG)
   * Lance Corporal (E-3) - Nine months TIS and eight months TIG

Like the other services, it's possible to enlist in the Marine Corps at an advanced rank for certain accomplishments, such as college credits or participation in Junior ROTC. However, while the Army allows advanced enlistment rank up to E-4, and the Air Force up to E-3, the Marines only allow advanced enlistment rank up to Private First Class (E-2).
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:35:45 PM EDT
[#22]
dude.. so what if you graduate as a private?   if i remember right, TIG/TIS for PFC is only 6 months.  your time on boot camp counts as TIS/TIG as a private.  go to boot camp, earn the title, and  in 3 months after boot camp you'll be a PFC anyway.  at the most extreme the TIS/TIG is 9 months, but i think that was for LCpl... talk to your recruiter about that, he'll be able to square you away alot better about TIS/TIG requirements better than i can.. good luck and Semper Fi.. MMo1
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top