Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 6:41:21 PM EDT
What I mean by non gun people is that these are a bunch of late thirties guys that go out once a year to shoot shotguns.  One is a good buddy of mine that has been to the Hun Farm with me and has seen my "other side".  Anyway, we met up at the gun range to shoot some skeet and I couldn't help but notice several mistakes.  Things like handling the shotty when they weren't up, another guy doing practice aims with his finger on the trigger, etc.  Not horrible, but things that many of us know not to do.  I had offered to take my oldest with me to give my wife a break and she felt safer for him with it being just the two of us, which I agree anyway, and that it was probably safer around "gun guys" like those here than a bunch of once a year shooters.  For the hell of it, I plan on taking one or two of my rifles, just to see reactions.  I figure it should be interesting.  Oh, and I get to shoot stuff
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:43:08 PM EDT
[#1]

another guy doing practice aims with his finger on the trigger

Watch your 6.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
None of them have the last name "Cheney," do they?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing to worry about--according to some, a load of birdshot won't kill anything that doesn't have feathers....

I'd suggest safety glasses and you taking the Uber Range Nazi stance....It's all fun and games until someone gets shot.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]

Keep them all in front of you.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
For wherever you're going to set up, give them a well defined shooting window, with noobs I would say no more than 180 degrees, front only.  

ETA: I retract the 180 and submit maybe <150
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:53:13 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

another guy doing practice aims with his finger on the trigger

Watch your 6.

Or you will get by some 8's
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:59:34 PM EDT
[#7]
As a policy, I never hunt with more thatn one unexperienced hunter.   One is enough for everyone to duck from.  Pardon the pun!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:13:39 PM EDT
[#8]
height=8
Quoted:
   Keep them all in front of you.

+1, and watch for low flying birds.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:18:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been to many trap and skeet ranges.  In my estimate, I would not hunt with about 95 percent of those who shoot these games on a regular basis.  Their gun handling is atrocious, or worse. You would think that handling firearms all the time would make their gun-handling impecable.  Unfortunately, they have too many bad habits that will carry on in the field.  

You should make it clear that anyone who mishandles a firearm in the field will be excused from any more hunting on that trip, and future trips.  

Dave.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#10]
read the sig line
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:25:17 PM EDT
[#11]
make sure and take a cam so you can post up pics of when one of them parts your hair with a 12ga.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:39:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Ahh dove hunting season once agian,

Those dove tend to dive towards the ground when you see them, and an unexpierenced shooter can tend to muzzle sweep other hunters. I refuse to hunt within 50 yards of a new dove hunter.

I will say dove hunting can be dangerous for the unexpierenced shooter, drunk, or anyone else around. (especially liberals and Cheney's lawyer)

(I know.... it was Quail)
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:41:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Huh, WHO needs guns anyway...

The wife went pheasant hunting a few months ago without a gun.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:45:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Good luck.  I would rather take a bunch of 10 year olds than go with adults.  At least the 10 year olds will appear to listen to you.  

Keep them far apart and tell them all that if they shoot you, you will shoot back.

I am always suprised of all of the hunters who go after Dove and cannot hit them.  We once hunted at a public hunting area and saw a guy who in two days had shot hundreds of shells, but only managed to down a couple of birds.  

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:46:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Dude, that thing still has some edible meat on it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top