Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 6:28:54 PM EDT
Looking at a Jeep thats $8900. Edmunds claims in the shape it's in minus a few options dealers retail should be $7800...I'm looking at a cash and carry deal...what should I start with...I was thinking $7500 out the door.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:34:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to the Motley Fool website or something similar and educate yourself before you try to play with the pro's. (And that's what car dealers are, professional scammers.) They play the game every day, for a living, and they have all the psychological advantages. For starters, do all your negotiating by fax - take away their home court advantage. And don't do it alone. Your parents or experienced friends can be valuable resources.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#2]
$7500 sounds fair.  You've got more room to work with since you're talking cash, so I wouldn't be afraid of asking even less than that.  Money talks.

ETA - And above all else, if things seem fishy, tell 'em to stick it up their asses and bail.  Doing your business on the 'net or over the phone ain't a bad idea either.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I'd start 2.5k below that and work up to what your willing to pay,

cash deals should go for less than asking price.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
$7500 sounds fair.  You've got more room to work with since you're talking cash, so I wouldn't be afraid of asking even less than that.  Money talks.

ETA - And above all else, if things seem fishy, tell 'em to stick it up their asses and bail.  Doing your business on the 'net or over the phone ain't a bad idea either.

you really have no clue do you

at least that make sense
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:42:13 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

at least that make sense

Enlighten me.

He's talking cash and carry...there's no financing to deal with, it's not a new car, so there's BS prep or store fees, no add on accessories, pinstriping, trim, air fresheners, undercoating, etc.  Only thing to discuss is the purchase price of the vehicle.  Period.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:46:38 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

at least that make sense

to be fair

cash means nothing to dealers

a) if you finance a car there is a chance they can save you money on rate and still make money for the store

b)if you offer to low at our store we just move on to the next customer

c) a chip on your should will find you the door faster than anything else

figure out what is fair in the market and stick to your price if it can be done it will be if not then its up to you to decide what is best for you

don't buy in to this you have to buy now or it will be gone stuff        is it possible that its true...........yes

but no manufacturer has built one of anything that you will buy

relax getting a new or a new to you car is a very fun thing

40-45
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:46:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Dealerships MAKE money on a portion of the financing.  Cash deals are cut & dry, no bonus, no kickback.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Looking at a Jeep thats $8900. Edmunds claims in the shape it's in minus a few options dealers retail should be $7800...I'm looking at a cash and carry deal...what should I start with...I was thinking $7500 out the door.

Test drive it first.
They won't bite at your first offer. When you walk, that's when the salesperson will give the old "wait! let me talk to my manager". He'll come back and jerk you around and waste about an hour of your time. He'll say something like, let's meet half way. Half way to him will be half-way between his offer and 8900, not halfway between 8900 and 7500. If they don't like your offer, walk out the door. It's not like Jeeps are selling hot nowadays. (The salesperson may say, Jeeps have been selling hot lately, or we just got this in because people have been buying Jeeps a lot lately (salesperson probably has a guilty smirk that resembles the smile of the current Iranian president), or if you don't buy it today, it's probably going to be gone tomorrow, or would be interested in a new Jeep... blah, blah, blah because Daimler Chrysler is offering a new promotion)
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:55:06 PM EDT
[#9]
because a dealer has the power to swing a huge number of deals to one bank or another they can get things done that a customer cant do at their own bank

our store works with many lenders and we have been able to get a lower rate(then they could get walking in) for people at their own bank.

and the dealer still gets a fee from the lender

yes dealers are there to make money

but so are........................well every other business in your town
including the one you work at

so lighten up Francis  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:55:46 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Dealerships MAKE money on a portion of the financing.  Cash deals are cut & dry, no bonus, no kickback.

Ding ding.  Cash or credit, the car is gone either way.  BUT, as stated, financing is to many dealerships/car manufacturers a BIG part of their business.  Hell, GMAC financing is HUGE.  All they want to do is sell the car for the most profit to them at the least amount of resistance.  Ya gotta find that sweet spot.  But for anyone who doesn't buy a car, there's another behind them that will.  Offer what you want to pay, they'll take it or not, work up and down from there.  Then, buy a car or part friendly.  I like buying cars.  I like cars.  I like my cars.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ding ding.  Cash or credit, the car is gone either way.  BUT, as stated, financing is to many dealerships/car manufacturers a BIG part of their business.  Hell, GMAC financing is HUGE.  All they want to do is sell the car for the most profit to them at the least amount of resistance.  Ya gotta find that sweet spot.  But for anyone who doesn't buy a car, there's another behind them that will.  Offer what you want to pay, they'll take it or not, work up and down from there.  Then, buy a car or part friendly.  I like buying cars.  I like cars.  I like my cars.

amen man!!!!

it not life or death to you or them is just business

Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:39:43 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

As others have said, they can make even more, even if just a bonus for initiating the contract, on financing.

The key to all successful negotiating is the ability to walk on a deal.  If you "have to have" whatever, in this case the car, these guys will smell tht in a second and you won't be able to negotiate anything.  BE FAIR!  If they don't want to be, walk.  A decent p[lace will accept your being fair and do business.

I would go along with offering $7,500. assuming the car is identical to the reference source.  I wouldn't lowball as it is perceived as a game.  But, when they try to talk you up, stiffen at your target price.  When you walk and get the "taslk to my manager"  (in reality a high pressure "closer"), you haven't got time and KEEP GOING; tell them you have an appointment and they have your phone.

There's more, bu that's basic.  As with everything in life, have a plan B.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 3:56:13 AM EDT
[#13]
with my experiences-

1. Be prepared to WALK /RUN away from a hig pressure salesperson/dealer no matter how much you like that car.  

2. if negotiation and they dont budge- walk.  Wost thing is you can come back- or just go to a different dealer.

3. Walk away anyway.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 4:38:35 AM EDT
[#14]
My last car buying experience:

1.  Decide what is a fair offer (fair to you AND the dealer)
2.  Make offer, indicate that this is not a back and forth offer, "this is my price, if you can't do it I will be gone in 5 minutes and you can sell to the next person.  If you can do it I will start the paperwork and hand you money"
3. Shake hands when they say yes.

You just have to make sure that you have a good idea what fair is.  Edmunds.com, kbb.com, and maybe even cars.com are good sources of determining market value, then subtract a few bucks because that market value accounts for idiots getting "boated" at the dealership.

shooter
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top