Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 5:33:04 PM EDT
SO I watched this special on Discovery about EMP knocking out America.  My question is will an EMP only knock out electronics that are ON, or will it roast any electronic ON or OFF mode.    

This leads me to think EMPs could knock out optics, and I forsee an EMP as a total SHTF situation.  

One of those thoughts...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:42:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If it has micro chips in it or anything with small wires and a power source it would burn out the electronic portion...so night vision....eotech...aimpoint...non-functional....BUIS is the answer of the day if the optics are on during the pulse...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:49:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
If it has micro chips in it or anything with small wires and a power source it would burn out the electronic portion...so night vision....eotech...aimpoint...non-functional....BUIS is the answer of the day if the optics are on during the pulse...

I think ACOG would save the day...never thought about ACOGS in that light.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:51:39 PM EDT
[#4]
I feel safe with my TA01 on the AR.. Best optic I have ever owned...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Another reason why ACOG and ELCAN are awesome military optics
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:53:47 PM EDT
[#6]
What, you don't live in a Faraday Cage?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:55:06 PM EDT
[#7]
I feel safe with my irons.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:56:09 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I feel safe with my irons.

What he said..
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:57:26 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
What, you don't live in a Faraday Cage?

Whewh.... i thought I was the only one.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:59:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Leupold CQ/T even if the electronics are toast it'll still be useable.   The reticle is etched in the glass
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:02:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Not to hijack the thread, but what about emp vs. an electronic gun safe?? This is something that I thought about a couple of months after I bought my safe with the electronic lock.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:59:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Not to hijack the thread, but what about emp vs. an electronic gun safe?? This is something that I thought about a couple of months after I bought my safe with the electronic lock.

From what I've reearched, anything electronic will be toast.  Hope you got a good torch or plasma cutter.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:08:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I watched the Superweapens on Sun,, the EMP toasted the car, BUT, things like the radio, windows and lighta all still worked after, really gets me thinking on this one.
Got a few ACOGS and the other optics besides Aimpoint would be fine, Makes me wonder if there is any more info on this out there?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:12:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
I watched the Superweapens on Sun,, the EMP toasted the car, BUT, things like the radio, windows and lighta all still worked after, really gets me thinking on this one.
Got a few ACOGS and the other optics besides Aimpoint would be fine, Makes me wonder if there is any more info on this out there?

Good point....maybe if you wrap them in enough tinfoil....
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:17:04 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point....maybe if you wrap them in enough tinfoil....

HA
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:21:25 PM EDT
[#16]
EMP can be really tricky and/or iffy.

If it was like a nuclear bomb (large airburst) I don't see it knocking out EVERYTHING electronic , yes ,major stuff , maybe even cars and such , but small items it might have a issue with. I taped a 20/20 episode about 10 years ago dealing with the subject of EMP , and a guy who made his own EMP gun/device ,that put about 1 megawatt of directed energy at a target. On all targets , it took 3-4 seconds to fry it.......nukes don't give off 3-4 seconds of EMP  , just a quick pulse. I imagine eotechs would be ok. As for gun safes.......the electronics from my understanding are embedded into the steel case , which prevents EMP damage.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:28:16 PM EDT
[#17]
(Watching the self-proclaimed EMP experts dole out mis-information with little or no basis in science).

Some things never seem to change.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
(Watching the self-proclaimed EMP experts dole out mis-information with little or no basis in science).

Some things never seem to change.  

EMP will ruin all your electronics (all your electrons belnong to us)
it will kill your pets
it will sterilize you
and it will impregnate your wife.

EMP=bad
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
EMP can be really tricky and/or iffy.

If it was like a nuclear bomb (large airburst) I don't see it knocking out EVERYTHING electronic , yes ,major stuff , maybe even cars and such , but small items it might have a issue with. I taped a 20/20 episode about 10 years ago dealing with the subject of EMP , and a guy who made his own EMP gun/device ,that put about 1 megawatt of directed energy at a target. On all targets , it took 3-4 seconds to fry it

BS, there is a HUGE power difference between any device like that and an airburst nuclear weapon.

.......nukes don't give off 3-4 seconds of EMP

No but they make a much, much more powerful EMP over a shorter period of time.

, just a quick pulse. I imagine eotechs would be ok. As for gun safes.......the electronics from my understanding are embedded into the steel case , which prevents EMP damage.

I doubt it. The keypad is outside of the steel case, and is unshielded. The wires inside of it would act as collectors for the EMP, frying whatever it's hooked up to.

Just my opinion.

I still hold to the fact that any group that EMPed the United States would be signing its own death warrant, simply based on the number of pissed off ARFcommers with $1-15K invested in optics that would be fried by it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:44:23 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yep, ACOG relies on a light pipe (fiber optic) and a nuclear source, unlike other manufacturers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:53:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Bleh, I live in a tempest shielded house, my truck has a magneto ignition and my tinfoil hat has an inline surge arrestor. However, I doubt that my red-dot scope has enough antenna area to concentrate the juice necessary to ignite a virus fart.

Now back to your regularly scheduled misinformation.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From what I've reearched, anything electronic will be toast.  Hope you got a good torch or plasma cutter.  

Do moarr 'reearch.'
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 6:20:41 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do moarr 'reearch.'

Here's an idea.  How about you contribute something when you post, rather than being antagonistic.    
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top