Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/22/2006 5:00:08 PM EDT
We are considering buying a new LCD screen television.
Does anybody here have one?
Know anything about them?
Are they liable to break in two months?
What should I look for?
What should I avoid?
I don't care about HDTV or anything that is bigger than say 26".
Any info or experience appreciated.

Thank you all, and have a good night.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:01:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Plasma is better than LCD..  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:06:31 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

in picture oh yeah but LCD lasts  A LOT longer! we actually have a silicon (its by sony i could be wrong on the terminology name since this is the first time ive ever heard of it living with my roommate who bought the TV) and its amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you want to shell out the extra bux and get a plasma you wont be sorry but make sure you get all monster cables (DO NOT CHEAT YOURSELF OUT!!) and expect it to live about 5 years or so (because it has to hold a charge) if you get LCD it will last a lot longer and the picture will still be crisp and youll be just as happy.

i dont know what brand you want but ive seen olevia's, sony's, phillips, and they all look alright to me.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

He's looking at a little bitty one (26"), I don't think anybody makes plasmas that small.

Honestly for a smallish TV like that I would recommend a flat screen HDTV CRT.  I know you said you "don't care" about HDTV, but in a couple of years you will, and CRTs last for decades with no issues.  LCD TVs are a bastard technology anyway, unless you really need a super thin TV I would just get a good CRT.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:12:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Look for a crystal clear screen cover not one that is hazey, You should be able to see a perfect reflection when viewd at an angle toward a light source. also get one that is very bright when the video settings are all at 50%. Remember you get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:14:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Ive had a Sony 25" lcd hd ready tv for about 3.5 years now....picture and sound are just as amazing as the first day I bought her.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#6]

Yes, it has to be "a little bitty one" and I do need a thin one. It's main purpose in life will be to sit on my computer desk so I may watch football when the main tv is in use or when I am working on something.

And I do not think I will care very much next year or several years from now if I can see the line of scrimmage any clearer than I can now, so HDTV is definately not a big deal if I can save money. HDTV seems a little overhyped to me anyway.

Thanks for all input.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Yes, it has to be "a little bitty one" and I do need a thin one. It's main purpose in life will be to sit on my computer desk so I may watch football when the main tv is in use or when I am working on something.

And I do not think I will care very much next year or several years from now if I can see the line of scrimmage any clearer than I can now, so HDTV is definately not a big deal if I can save money. HDTV seems a little overhyped to me anyway.

Thanks for all input.

You can save a ton of money by just buying a second computer monitor and a TV tuner card.  Thats what I have at my computer desk (dual monitors).  I can watch TV or a DVD on my second monitor while I work or surf on the other one.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 7:53:04 PM EDT
[#9]
HDTV will be a big deal in a couple years when it's the only thing they're broadcasting :p
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:59:01 PM EDT
[#10]
One word........

Olevia
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:03:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out avsforum.com.  More information than you can digest in a lifetime.
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:10:12 PM EDT
[#12]
have 3 LCD and 1 plasma, i like my plasma better
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:33:04 PM EDT
[#13]
any side view issues with the rear projection LCDs?
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:38:53 PM EDT
[#14]
some with rear
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 1:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
some with rear

Sigh. thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top