Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2006 11:25:03 AM EDT
news.aol.com/topnews/articles/_a/gang-of-killer-raccoons-terrorizes-city/n20060822105509990027?cid=936

Gang of Killer Raccoons Terrorizes City

AP
OLYMPIA, Washington (Aug. 22) - A fierce group of raccoons has killed 10 cats, attacked a small dog and bitten at least one pet owner who had to get rabies shots, residents of Olympia say.

Some have taken to carrying pepper spray to ward off the masked marauders and the woman who was bitten now carries an iron pipe when she goes outside at night.

"It's a new breed," said Tamara Keeton, who with Kari Hall started a raccoon watch after an emotional neighborhood meeting drew 40 people. "They're urban raccoons, and they're not afraid."

Tony Benjamins, whose family lost two cats, said he got a big dog - a German Shepherd-Rottweiler mix - to keep the raccoons away.

One goal of the patrol is to get residents to stop feeding raccoons and to keep pets and pet food indoors.

Lisann Rolle said she began carrying an iron pipe when she goes outside at night after being bitten by raccoons when she tried to pull three of them off her cat Lucy. She obtained rabies shots afterward as a precaution.

"I was watching her like a hawk, but she snuck out," Rolle said. "Then I heard this hideous sound - a coyote-type high pitch ... It was vicious. They were focused on ripping her apart."

The attacks have been especially shocking because raccoons came within five feet (1 1/2 meters) of cats without any problem in previous years, Benjamins said.

"We used to love the raccoons. They'd have their babies this time of year, and they were so cute. Even though we lived in the city, it was neat to have wildlife around," he said, "but this year, things changed. They went nuts."

In one case five raccoons tried to carry off a small dog, which managed to survive.

The attacks, all within a three-block area near the Garfield Nature Trail in Olympia, are highly unusual, said Sean O. Carrell, a problem wildlife coordinator with the state Department of Fish and Wildlife, adding that trappers may be summoned from the U.S. Department of Agriculture to remove problem animals.

"I've never heard a report of 10 cats being killed. It's something were going to have to monitor," Carrell said.

Meanwhile, residents have hired Tom Brown, a nuisance wildlife control operator from Rochester, Washington, to set traps, but in six weeks he has caught only one raccoon. He and Carrell said raccoons teach their young - and each other - to avoid traps.

Brown said he had seen packs of raccoons this big but none so into killing.

"They are in command up there," he said.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:41:16 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
killed 10 cats,

And the point is?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:50:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Fucking liberal pussies. It'll be a cold day in hell before I concede my spot on the food chain  
to a raccoon.

"Mr Raccoon, I'd like to introduce you to a friend of mine, Mr. 22/45"
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Unfortunately, your solution would not work.
Although you can own a suppressor in WA, it a BIG no-no to attach it to a gun and fire it.

So I suppose you could wave the suppressor with one hand to distract them while taking aim with the .22 pistol in the other ...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Have any of these dim-wits heard of a "Have a Heart" trap?  The "heart" is optional after the trapping.

Instead of doing something about the problem, lets have a cry party, that's the ticket.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:34:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Urban Cat Killing Ninja Raccoon Gang...yeah!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm rooting for the raccoons. People overdevelop and force wildlife to become more cunning to survive on what limited space they have. I am glad that dumb broad and her cat got the business too. How many birds did that cat go "coon" on before the cat got what's coming to it from mother nature. And the owner? I call BS. If she's watching the cat like a hawk, it's because she's let the cat outside before and is sick of getting fleas. She created the menace and now she gets the horns fangs.

I hope the coons rise from their shallow grave and murder every suburban indoor/outdoor cat owner in the land, and should that bite turn the owners into zombies... ohhhhh baby!  Taking headshots on undead suburban indoor/outdoor ripped-up cat owners... I think my birthday present has arrived a day early!

GO COONS!!!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:42:22 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I'm rooting for the raccoons. People overdevelop and force wildlife to become more cunning to survive on what limited space they have. I am glad that dumb broad and her cat got the business too. How many birds did that cat go "coon" on before the cat got what's coming to it from mother nature. And the owner? I call BS. If she's watching the cat like a hawk, it's because she's let the cat outside before and is sick of getting fleas. She created the menace and now she gets the horns fangs.

I hope the coons rise from their shallow grave and murder every suburban indoor/outdoor cat owner in the land, and should that bite turn the owners into zombies... ohhhhh baby!  Taking headshots on undead suburban indoor/outdoor ripped-up cat owners... I think my birthday present has arrived a day early!

GO COONS!!!
I like the way you think.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:08:15 PM EDT
[#9]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:

Fucking liberal pussies. It'll be a cold day in hell before I concede my spot on the food chain  
to a raccoon.

+1
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:10:08 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

GO COONS!!!
I like the way you think.

LOL, yeah that was good. Hey pulp smack, are you a writer ?
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:12:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:12:52 PM EDT
[#12]
An ex-writer.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#13]

Wid beamz yo
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Raccoons terrorizing a neighborhood.  Ha.  

I'd have my choice of a Hav-a-Hart trap and a garbage can full of water or a Ruger MKII and a spotlight.  
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

to a raccoon

LMAO
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 3:47:35 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
killed 10 cats,

And the point is?

I'm sure nobody here wants a shortage of pussy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top