Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2006 6:05:47 PM EDT
New TVs with digital tuners now have this software coding that downloads the TV schedule off the internet into a format called "TV GUIDE ON SCREEN".  It is a one way communication rather than the two way like a cable company converter box.  It has several shortcomings and I hear new standards will eventually replace this "technology".

It really sucks...  There are several things that suck about it, but does anyone know if there will be any software updates to improve this existing "product"?  

Anyone here even know what I'm talking about?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:13:51 PM EDT
[#1]
My mother's new LG HDTV has it.  It automatically downloads the TV schedule off of the cable.

On Comcast here in NE Ohio, it works damn good.  Very handy.

Oops.  Maybe we're not talking about the same technology?  Nevermind.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:23:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes it is the same technology.

It just has many shortcomings.  I would pay for something better, but they aren't offering any fixes/updates.  You get what you get.  If your cable company alters something about the channel then you just don't get the proper info.  Like I can only see what's on INHD2 by switching to the cable box.  The TVGOS.COM stuff just doesn't know that INDHD2 exists.

It is better than nothing, but I would pay SOMETHING to get an update!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:36:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Wow, I must be old school.

The only thing my TV does is take a svideo input and show the video.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:44:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, there is hope. And it shall be called Tivo. Blessed be, ye purveryors of fine remotes and season passes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, some issues...  probably minor bitching considering what it does do...  but -

I would like to see the cast in a movie, it just cannot handle more than the description -  never a cast!

I would like to be able to input a channel that does not adhere to the TVGOS standard - instead I can input the channel, but I forever see the description of what TVGOS says the show SHOULD be, not what it REALLY is.

I would like to check a show that was on earlier, but NO, once the show is over it is not even history - you cannot go backwards at all!

In addition, since it is only one way communication (download) it can never deliver a pay-per-view movie or event - period.  You have to switch to your digital converter box.  So I have TIVO attached to the cable companies digital converter box on input 1, and raw cable going into the other input which feeds the built in super-duper digital tuner that is part of the TV.  What a pain to have to press another button to switch to thecable companies tuner rather than mine.

... and yes, I have to keep the cable companies tuner and pay for it so I can see everything like pay-per-view stuff...

I want it all!!!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top