Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 5:12:32 PM EDT
... Lately, I've been trying to organize and compile my BOB as wisely as possible. Meaning, if I ever really need the damn thing, I won't have the luxury of nice dinners - but I will need 3500+ daily calories of nutritious sustenance.

... What is your take on these Mayday Food Bars? Are they the best option for a serious BOB? It seems I can carry several weeks supply without much burden.

www.alwaysbeprepared.com/site/558697/product/FB36M

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:52:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, FWIW....    I've never tried the Mayday bars so I can't comment on taste or anything like that.

Also keep in mind that Mainstay and Datrex make similar products.

I tried some of the Mainstay and it was okay. Vanilla lemon something or other.

Honestly, I think for your situation either the Mayday/Mainstay/Datrex will be the ticket. Living in the desert you have to consider the heat that comes along with an enclosed vehicle in the summertime. If you plan on keeping your BOB in your vehicle then the two most feasible options would be ration bars or freeze dried food. If you've got something else in mind as far as storage then your options open up significantly.

The drawback of freeze dried is that you're going to need water to reconstitute it. Since we're in the desert we're already at a premium on water. Do you really want to be using any of your water to make chili mac? I don't think so.

The food bars don't require water to prepare and are advertised as being non thirst-provoking.

The biggest thing is finding one that has a flavor that you can live with. FWIW, the Sportsman's Warehouse on Greenfield and Baseline has the Datrex bars in stock. Check 'em out for size, buy one for a taste test, whatever.

Once I get my BOB put back together I'm going with the food bars.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top