Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 5:09:57 PM EDT
I had a couple inquiries about my cheek piece and figure maybe more would be interested in my DIY project on my play (non defensive) gun.

I got the kydex from a local plastics supplier.  It is 5/32" thick (all they had in stock) and cost me about $10 a sqft ($50 for a 5' sheet 12" wide).

I made card stock (manila folder) template and did all my fitting with it before cutting the kydex.  Basically a rectangle bent into a "U" and then did some trimming on the one end to give some thumb clearance as well as to make it look nice. What I did was place the stripped stock on a table upside down, and then fit the template to be flush with the table.  This would give an "in plane" alignment similar to that of an AR and it seems to work for me.  I went through about 5 templates before settling on one that seemed to work.  I then traced it onto the sheet of kydex and cut it out with a sharp knife.  I then drilled the screw holes while it was still a flat pice.  I then heated the center line with a heat gun until it was "floppy" and then just pressed it down on the stock to get the curve.  Turned the rifle back up side down finding and frilling the holes into the wood stock, screwed in some screws with washers, and voila.

I think I should have raised it up a bit as well.  To to that, just place spacers under the upsidedown stock to raise it up.  A phone book flipped to the correct thickness works nice for this.  Then place the cheek pice flush with the table.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:10:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I bet with a little work you could make it adjustable for hight.  Just get some long set screws, put them into the stock.  Cut some channels into the kydex with a cut-off wheel and then get some of those flat thumb screw type threaded washer thingies and you've got adjustable height.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 7:28:03 PM EDT
[#2]
That is a fantastic idea and nicely done!!!

I just picked up a Rem700 PSS today and was thinking about getting a stock pouch/cheek riser for it but I like this better.  Any ideas how I could do this on the fiberglass stock?
Link Posted: 8/25/2006 12:03:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I could have cut grooves and used fancy screws, but I wanted to keep it simple.

As for a fiberglass stock, they are esentially hollow.  You may need to use through bolts and a spacer.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top