Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 1:27:39 PM EDT
geez, that liberal infested dump is out of control.

----------------------------------------------------------

Aug 21, 2006 12:59 pm US/Pacific

LAUSD Identifies 26,000 Potential Dropouts
(CBS) LOS ANGELES Los Angeles Unified School District administrators have identified more than 26,000 students who are potential dropouts, an administrator said Monday during an LAUSD training session.

Pregnancy, domestic abuse and disciplinary problems may all be factors in a student's decision to drop out of school, administrators said.

The day-long training session includes workshops on identifying those students who are most likely to dropout, how to keep accurate records on how many students leave school and creating school environments that encourage good behavior.

The LAUSD hosted the session for 300 high school principals and counselors as part of the district's initiative to reduce the number of students who dropout or disengage from school.

LAUSD Superintendent Roy Romer has said the district's dropout rate was about 24 percent for the 2005-06 school year. However, Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa has cited recent studies that show about half of the students attending LAUSD schools fail to graduate within four years.

However, 6,790 middle school students and 20,171 high school students had been identified as potential dropouts in the district. Debra Duardo, LAUSD director of Dropout Prevention and Recovery.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, that fits...

dickstaub.com/links_view.php?record_id=4727

Faith and Culture: Shocking Illiteracy in LA

September 09, 2004

Source: http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1413,200~20954~2388909,00.html

Illiteracy shockingly high in L.A.

Half of workers unable to read

By Rachel Uranga
Staff Writer

Continued immigration and a stubborn high school dropout rate have stymied efforts to improve literacy in Los Angeles County, where more than half the working-age population can't read a simple form, a report released Wednesday found.

Alarmingly, only one in every 10 workers deemed functionally illiterate is enrolled in literacy classes and half of them drop out within three weeks, said the study by the United Way of Greater Los Angeles.

"It's an emergency situation," said Mayor James Hahn, adding that poor literacy rates could jeopardize the region's economy by driving out high-tech businesses and other industries that pay well.

In the Los Angeles region, 53 percent of workers ages 16 and older were deemed functionally illiterate, the study said.

That percentage dropped to 44 percent in the greater San Fernando Valley -- which includes Agoura Hills and Santa Clarita -- but soared to 85 percent in some pockets of the Valley.

The study measured levels of literacy across the region using data from the 2000 Census, the U.S. Department of Education and a survey of literacy programs taken from last September to January.

It classified 3.8 million Los Angeles County residents as "low-literate," meaning they could not write a note explaining a billing error, use a bus schedule or locate an intersection on a street map.

And despite hundreds of millions of dollars spent in public schools over the past decade to boost literacy rates, functional illiteracy levels have remained flat because of a steady influx of non-English-speaking immigrants and a 30 percent high school dropout rate, authors of the report said.

The last available national study was conducted in 1992 by the National Adult Literacy Survey, which found that 48 percent of the nation's working-age population was functionally illiterate.

"This is a ticking time bomb, a dirty secret we don't want to talk about. We are losing the battle," said Mark Drummond, chancellor of California's community college system.

Dozens of community-based groups, including the Literacy Network of Greater Los Angeles, the Los Angeles Unified School District and other public agencies vowed to improve programs over the next five years by connecting English learners with employers and educating 1,000 workers with English-language deficiencies during the next two years.

A top priority should be making classes more accessible. For example, the report found that no school in the county offered Saturday classes or tailored classes for adult students with families or multiple jobs.

And while nearly 90 percent of adults take literacy classes to improve their employment opportunities, only 30 percent of literacy programs include the workplace in their instruction.

"It's appalling," said Marge Nichols, the author of the study. "A 50 percent dropout rate (for literacy classes) is pretty dysfunctional. We haven't kept up."

Though the report offers no estimate for the cost of functional illiteracy, the National Right to Read Foundation places the price tag nationally at 4 billion. And local observers say untold millions are being lost by would-be employers who move to other cities in search of highly skilled workers.

Before he enrolled in a literacy class at the North Valley Occupational Center, Adolio Gonzales, 29, was intimidated by filling out job applications or even going to an amusement park.

"I didn't want to go to Disneyland because I thought it was so complicated," said the Reseda resident, who waits tables at a Carrows restaurant and wants to become a computer programmer.

Gonzales emigrated from Guatemala seven years ago and taught himself to speak English by watching television programs.

But he often found himself confused by the simplest task, and had trouble filling out an application at a fast-food restaurant two years ago.

"The application asked why I wanted to work for this company and I didn't know what to answer," he said.

Then, he enrolled in the literacy class, which emphasizes the basics, like filling out forms and reading the newspaper.

"I feel comfortable now, like I can do anything."
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:42:23 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
"I didn't want to go to Disneyland because I thought it was so complicated," said the Reseda resident, who waits tables at a Carrows restaurant and wants to become a computer programmer.

We're fucked.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:55:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Number 1 - please, it's "deferred success", not flunking.

And we, as a community, really must do whatever we can to make sure these disenchanted and underprivileged youths get the proper assistance and respect they deserve while they are finding themselves in these tumultuous times we are currently experiencing.  I, for one, blame Bush.

Holy crap, where the Hell did THAT come from???  Sorry, I was surfing DU again.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:55:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah and I saw a show on MS13 this weekend too. Sorry CA people but I would live there if someone gave me a billion dollar home, free gas, food, $$ to live on and hot female celebs stopping by every night. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! How in hell do they do it??????????
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:00:26 PM EDT
[#5]
And yet, the libtards here are fighting hard to stop the High School "Proficiency" test required for a diploma, because it will hurt the feelings of those who don't pass.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:03:36 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're fucked.  

Microsoft is hiring!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:04:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Damn, are people dumber than ever, I mean, fuck...

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:14:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Simple solution: no one can get welfare without a High School Diploma.  Watch the results.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah and I saw a show on MS13 this weekend too. Sorry CA people but I would live there if someone gave me a billion dollar home, free gas, food, $$ to live on and hot female celebs stopping by every night. NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!! How in hell do they do it??????????

Very easily, actually. The first line of defense is geography; don't go where trouble goes. Live near the affluent neighborhoods, but not in them. Live in the conservative areas (trust me, they do exist).

Is it a pain in the ass that I can't own certain types of firearms? Sure. Does it suck that I can't purchase magazines that hold over 10 rounds? Definitely. Is my cost of living higher than any other state? Why, yes it is.

Then why do I stay here?

1) Jobs. You work in high tech or aerospace, CA is the only place. Sure, cost of living here is 40% more than elsewhere, but I can't get a job at all elsewhere.

2) Family. Most of my aunts and uncles live here. They are all in high tech or aerospace. My grandparents all live here, and it's good that I can take care of them.

3) Weather. I grew up in a tropical area. This is as cold as I can take.

4) Stuff to do. I have all manner of bars, clubs, museums that I can go to when I get some free time. I can also go outdoors and into the mountains, lakes, beaches, etc. No where else do I have this kind of freedom of choice. I'm either living IN a city (which sucks donkey balls, since I love to drive), or out in the fucking sticks (where hunting is the ONLY way to get food on the table).
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:49:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Word
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:13:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're fucked.  

Not really.  Someone has to be cannon fodder.    

"Ok, Reseda resident I need you to look around this corner and tell me where the sniper is hiding".
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Yet ANOTHER example that Liberalism is a disease and that it doesnt work...
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

We're fucked.  

Not really.  Someone has to be cannon fodder.    

"Ok, Reseda resident I need you to look around this corner and tell me where the sniper is hiding".

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:01:11 PM EDT
[#15]
How exactly is it that "We're fucked"?  That man in the article is a man just like you,or maybe even more. Instead of sitting on his ass and wishing for something better,he decided to try to better himself,and had the guts to move to a foreign country. He taught himself to speak english,and is apparently learning how to read,too. He has dreams and ambition,and I hope he makes it.
 My son is a Marine Lt., and there are more than a few hispanics in his company. Several of them have become US citizens in the time he has had the company,and he has been proud to help them. They are putting their life on the line to get that citizenship-more than can be said of a lot of so-called "Americans".
  Don't get me wrong-I'm not in favor of this unrestricted immigration,either,but since my wife is an immigrant,over many years I have seen the difficult struggles so many have when they come here,and I have a lot of respect for them. What I DON'T have any respect for is ignorance and hatred.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:12:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Anybody ever heard of the VERY VALID sociological theory called:

"The Marching Morons?"

Were seeing it come to fruition here.  The theory states that in the future, our country will be ruled by a small number of educated elite.  The bulk of menial work will be done by millions and millions of idiots just like these LA kids.

Like Mel Brooks said, It's good to be the king!

Hey boy!!  Bring me another beer!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:34:39 PM EDT
[#17]
But Senor' Schoool is soo hard wit' out the courses b'ing taught een Spanish!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:51:37 PM EDT
[#18]
America - the Turd World country.

That sense of anti-intellectualism, that state of gorilla-hood, that love of all things base and venal is coming to a town near you.

"Viva El Presidente! Viva Jorge Boosh! Viva Mehico!"

<turns up the rap> "Woooo!!"
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:34:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Most students were born/raised in the United States.

The reason for the large percentages of students being unable to read and write are:
(1.) Lack of Parental Involvement and Supervision in their Child's Education
(2.) The Failure of Liberal Theories on teaching reading to elementary students
(3.) The intervention of school administrators in changing student's grades and forcing teachers to pass students.
(4.) Undiagnosed Learning Disabilities.
(5.) Lack of resources or lack of awareness of such resources for non-english speaking families

In that Order
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top