Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/5/2001 12:01:15 AM EDT
I was watching that show on TVLand a few minutes ago.  In the show, some nutbar in an abandon building shoots a cop with an M16a1.  DeSoto and Gauge put on "bullet proof" vests and go to rescue the downed officer.  They dogde about 200 rounds of .223 and pull the officer to safety.  The police shot a teargas grenade into the window, and sure enough the couch catches fire.  About to burn up, the nutbar tosses the M16 out the window and is rescued by Chet and taken away in cuffs.

Moral of the story.  TV ain't what it used to be.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#1]
How is this an EMERGENCY?
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:16:55 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the NAME of the show! [>]:)]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Isn't that how it happens in real life? I mean... Waco right?

_FS
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:53:00 AM EDT
[#4]
KMG365
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:51:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Good memory Imbrog|io !

[url]www.emergencyfans.com/sounds/1kmg365.wav[/url]

And...

[url]www.emergencyfans.com/sounds/1emergcy2.wav[/url]

What is KMG365?

The *KMG365* that the Captain (or whoever acknowledges the radio dispatch) says, is the FCC station license number for the base radio at that station. It is similar to the station license munmbers like KTLA, WTBS, etc. that TV and radio stations use and the N6ACY, W5TZB, etc. that *ham* radio operators use to ID themselves per the FCC regulations. For instance, KA4993 is the FCC station license number for all the mobile radios (car, motorcycle, truck) that the Calif. Highway Patrol uses. Additionally, each CHP station's base radio (and each regional CHP dispatch center) has a different station license number.  

Did you know...
KMG-365 is an actual call sign, licensed to the County of Los Angeles for the radio frequency of 154.430 - which is an assigned fire service frequency? It is! I just searched the FCC's site and this is an actual call-sign. Now, I'm not certain if LACoFD actually uses this frequecy (or callsign), but it is valid.

Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:52:41 AM EDT
[#6]
LOL im too tired to be responding to post DOH!
[%|]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 1:54:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Johnny and Roy ROCK !

[img]www.emergencyfans.com/gallery/page5/station51cast15lfs.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 9/5/2001 2:54:29 AM EDT
[#8]
From left to right, back row.

Roy, Marco, Johnny, Cap, middle is Chet, I have no idea who that guy is sitting next to Roy.

Then there is Dr. Brackett, Dr. Early, Daisy the Nurse. I don't remember the name of the black Dr.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 8:33:46 AM EDT
[#9]
The guy who you can't identify is Mike Stoker. That was his characters name and is his real name.
He was the only real firefighter on the show, he was originaly hired on to drive the fire engine.
He had to balance his time filimg the TV show against actually fighting fires.

Julie London (Dixie McCall), in real life she was at one time married to Jack Webb.
She was married to Bobby Troup (Dr. Joe Early) who was a good friend of Jack Webbs.

The original Engine 51 (Crown) and the third Squad 51 are both in the Los Angeles Fire Museum. The second Engine 51 is still on active duty as a structural Engine with the Yosemite National Park.

More Emergency! 51 trivia at:
[url]http://www.emergencyfans.com/general_info/people_places_things.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:09:42 AM EDT
[#10]
squad 51, squad 51!!!!
....come in Dixie!!
ringers lactate!
transport stat!   [smash]

Agh, the good ole days

Nuckles
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:27:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 12:24:40 PM EDT
[#12]
That show kicks ass!  I watched it growing up and still watch re-runs on TVLand once in awhile.  It is a great example of how bad political correctness has eaten up this country.  Look at all the shows like ER and you will find the same plots that were originally done on Emergency! except they've been worked over by the propagandists.

On the whole, Emergency had better stunts and was far more honest about police work and fire-fighting.  It started to get a little political near the end, gun control and drug war hype, but they didn't try to shape opinion, they just told a story and let the viewer make sense of it.

This was a time when guys like Johnny and Roy were expected to brave gunfire, steep cliffs, high towers, explosions, and so on and didn't make a big production of it.  Brave men who risk their lives--perfect American archetypes.  
Some of those stunts had to be pretty damn dangerous--rescuing people atop cranes, oil refineries, and other really high places.  Not to mention the car accidents and fires.

Roy was a family man with kids. Johnny was more of an single, adventurous, outdoorsy guy who drove a Rover (not one of the pussy ones, a real Rover with the spare tire on the hood).  I can picture Johnny going out shooting in the desert with his AR-15.  All those characters were really down-to-earth types--no one star trying to steal the show, no "pretty people" except maybe Dixie.  You couldn't even make a tv show like that today.  You'd have to have a token black guy on the squad, you couldn't have episodes that showed incompetent paramedics.  

I never saw the episode mejames describes, or at least I don't remember it.  Pretty funny that the teargas caught the couch on fire, in light of recent events.  

Link Posted: 9/5/2001 8:13:50 PM EDT
[#13]
I saw that episode last night. There was also an episode on about two weeks ago where a gun collector shot himself in the stomach with a 40mm grenade and they had to extricate it on the scene. Matter of fact, I'm watching the show right now and they are going to the scene of liquor store shooting.
I used to even have a board game that was put out when the show originally aired, but my parents gave it away without me knowing it for a long time, I was really pissed about that.
While we are talking "old shows" anybody remember SWAT, I had the game for it too and a record (LP) they were given away also, with the other game. [:(!]

BMB
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 9:15:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Watching EMEGENCY as a kid was a big influence on me,(one of the reasons firefighter/paramedic today) And I still watch the reruns on TV Land. That show was fairly accurate in its depiction of fire/rescue in the 70s on many accounts.
Its funny to look at that show, and compare it to EMS today. (They call the hospital for instructions as soon as they get on scene, and get permission from Dr Brackett for everything they do...lol) Nowdays,...we are enroute to the hospital when we get on the radio and tell them what we're bringing in, what we've done, and how long till we get there... Very few things we need to ask permission for now.

We used to have to say "KIU 521" when we answered the radio, then they installed something that would do it in morse code automatically at certain times during the day. now we have 800mgz radios, and I dont know what they do about the FCC numbers.
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:03:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Julie London (Dixie McCall), in real life she was at one time married to Jack Webb.
She was married to Bobby Troup (Dr. Joe Early) who was a good friend of Jack Webbs.
View Quote

Julie London died a few years ago, I read it in the obit of the L.A. Times.  Bobby Troup who plays Joe Early is also dead.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:02:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Anyone remember the show about the Fire Department Rescue Squad that was on before they had Paramedics called Rescue 8
Link Posted: 9/5/2001 11:23:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/6/2001 4:15:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Some more trivia--- Bobby Troup (aka Dr Early) wrote the classic Pop song "Route 66"...!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top