Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/21/2006 9:19:08 AM EDT
This is semi related to a thread a started last week, but different enough to warrant it's own thread IMO.  Hopefully someone can help me, I'm pretty frustrated here...

------------------------------

I have just completed, for the most part, an exchange 5.5 to 2003 migration.  The new server is up and running fine, and the last thing I need to do is move the public folders from the 5.5 server to the new 2003 server (contains custom calendars).

I am having an issue though, as the pfmigrate.wsf tool is not moving any of the public folders.  I believe this is due to an improperly configured connector.  However, I can't figure out something regarding the connector.

Before I got our new 2003 server up and running in it's current configuration, it was named something else and had a previous installation of windows server 2003 on it on the network.  I rebuilt it, and renamed it, and it's been named "zmail" ever since.  However, that 'old name' is still showing up on the network in weird places, even though the server no longer exists.  It is not listed in DNS or in Active Directory ANYWHERE.  So I think the underlying issue is that for some reason, this 'non existant' server is still floating around in Active Directory land...

I use ADC tools to configure my connection agreements, and the old server that doesn't exist (along with the old 5.5 that I do need to use) is listed in the drop down box where you specify account authentication info and source server info.  I choose the needed 5.5 source server, go through the wizard, and it STILL configures the connection agreement to use the 'non existant' server.

So I have a connection agreement for the 'source server' that is configured to use a server that no longer exists.  I can't figure out how to make it work properly.  To NOT use this 'non existant' server.  And I believe that is why the pfmigrate tool isn't working, obviously.

So I can't get this ONE folder moved over from my old 5.5 server to the 2003 server.  Is there a way to do it manually and avoid this mess?

screenshot of the connection agreement tool

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:20:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Migrate off the 5.5 exchange server.   To be honest.  You would do much better doing a google search  : )

Good Luck !
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:21:54 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Migrate off the 5.5 exchange server.   To be honest.  You would do much better doing a google search  : )

Good Luck !

My google search didn't really find much I didn't already know.  I'm trying to migrate the folders off the 5.5 server, using tools on the new 2003 server.

And yes, I know ARFCOM isn't an IT Mecca or anything, but I have had help from some pretty smart people before, so it's worth a shot
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#3]
http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Migrating_Exchange_5_5_to_2003.html

http://searchexchange.techtarget.com/tip/1,289483,sid43_gci1068012,00.html

Maybe you didn't see these.  I don't know. Hopefully they help.  Good Luck again.

I missed one thing you stated.   The renaming of the box.  If the old name isn't used anymore.  You need to remove it out of active directory.  That is why it still shows up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:25:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I did see those.  But they don't address the fact that what they recommended to do, is not working (due to this errant machine in AD)
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Yes, I did see those.  But they don't address the fact that what they recommended to do, is not working (due to this errant machine in AD)

Sorry.  I edited before you responded..  

I missed one thing you stated. The renaming of the box. If the old name isn't used anymore. You need to remove it out of active directory. That is why it still shows up.  

Geez.  I guess I should have finished reading before I responded....  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:36:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
[

I missed one thing you stated. The renaming of the box. If the old name isn't used anymore. You need to remove it out of active directory. That is why it still shows up.  

This might be an easy question and something I should know, but how do I remove something from Active Directory if it doesn't show up under AD Users and Computers?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:40:21 AM EDT
[#7]
This is one of those questions that’s complex enough that I doubt it will be resolved without having an(several) AD expert(s) remote into the exchange servers in question.

It could be anything from a corrupt GC to a hosed registry. My personal guess is that the container is hosed in the GC.

Migrations always hurt. Cool thing about it is that MS support should be able to kill the pain in no time flat.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:51:12 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Migrations always hurt. Cool thing about it is that MS support should be able to kill the pain in no time flat.

Explain?  Is there like a "tech support" line or something?  I'm assuming it's big $$$.  My company really doesn't like to spend money on anything, a $200 phone call may be pushing it lol.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:45:29 AM EDT
[#9]
Well I did find one place where 'z-exchange' was still located, which was in AD Sites and Services, under default first name, servers.  I deleted it out of the list and confirmed the change replicated to the other servers.  Also, when I went to the AD Connector wizard, the connection agreement that was there for that server was gone.  However, when I go to the wizard to create new connection agreements, it's still an 'option' in the drop down box and it still 'chooses' to use that server as the source 5.5 server once it creates the agreements.

dubya tee eff?!?!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top