Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2006 12:01:15 AM EDT
I have a clogged drain and I need to pick up some drain cleaner. Which is the better of the two drain cleaners?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:26:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried using a plumbing snake first?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Get both!

Honestly liquid dish soap can work on less tough clogs, and a snake is always the best even for those most stubbour stoppages.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:56:17 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Get both.

It's the ARFcom way.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:22:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I have used both with MUCH equal success. I don't know what the differences are, but they both smell great and work well!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:43:46 AM EDT
[#5]
get the gel.

Try disassembling the trap first (if this applies to the drain in question)
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:15:34 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked up a high pressure drain cleaner that works off of CO2 canisters from Home Depot a while back.  It's red, yellow and black plastic and I have used many times with succuess.  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:30:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Drain cleaners were invented by the guy who came up with Valentine's Day.

Might as well take five bucks and flush it down the toilet, if it still flushes.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:21:14 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Have you tried using a plumbing snake first?

or a plunger... kitchen sink youll need 2 plungers... bath  sink... well stop shaveing your ass in the sink

we never use those chems at work,,cuz they dont work.

few diff easy ways to clear ot really. remove the pop up,, get a coat hanger(metal) bend teh end in a closed hook,, shove it down  the drain,, and twist it around a few times and pull up..if still clogged. plunge it.. still clogged,, take the p-trap off.
still plugged run a snake down it .
when plungingit make sure you cover the over flow hole or it wont work. on kicthen sinks two plungers on each drain will work in a push pull effort!

if you do all of that and dont have a snake nor want to drop teh $$ for one you can,,,

not use your sink
watch wtf you put down it.
pay the plumber 100$ to show up and get it unclogged!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:28:58 AM EDT
[#9]
I'd snake it out.  Those Chems are not good for your drain lines.  Even worse if you have cast iron pipes.  

You can get a little snake from Lowes/Homedepot that you just power with a drill motor.  Just wear some gloves!

Most of the time, it's just some junk in the p-trap.  You can go buy a new one for about $2, and throw the old one out...  Maybe takes you a few minutes to install it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:46:30 PM EDT
[#10]
All that stuff is is diluted sodium hydroxide.  Get the pure stuff (about ten times more powerful) in the form of lye powder, which you can find just about anywhere (Red Devil is what most places carry)

That liquid stuff is a joke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top