Posted: 8/20/2006 8:50:48 PM EDT
That is....of course according to me.

Any arguments?
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#1]
none here
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:52:25 PM EDT
[#2]
With such powerhouse as the Vanderbilt Commodores, how could it NOT be?!?  

Go Big 10!!! w00t
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:55:08 PM EDT
[#3]
The Seeing Eye Cat is thwe best NCAA football conference in the country?
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:56:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Hook em.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:57:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#6]
SEC has a good amount of consistent top-tier teams, and some god-awful bottom of the ladder teams too that never improve. Best? Nope.

Big-10 is, with the exception of Indiana recently, always incredibly tough from top to bottom. Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Penn State, one of those teams is always knocking on the Natl. Champion door....or taking it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:14:05 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
With such powerhouse as the Vanderbilt Commodores, how could it NOT be?!?  

Go Big 10!!! w00t

Same can be said for Missouri, whom are a member of the Big 12 which you so conveniently seemed to have disowned and jumped ship to a "non-highschool" conference.  

I take it you're a graduate of one of the big ten unis'?  
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Same can be said for Missouri, whom are a member of the Big 12 which you so conveniently seemed to have disowned and jumped ship to a "non-highschool" conference.  

I take it you're a graduate of one of the big ten unis'?  

I have zero loyalty to my current school, because we're Division III and play like high school girls.  (We make up for it in great academics, but our stadium is smaller than most high school stadiums, and hasn't been much improved since the Olympics were played there over 100 years ago )

But I was a student at Northwestern in 1995 and 1996, when they team went from being the perennial Big 10 doormat to winning the conference!!  The transformation was magical, and it was extremely exciting to see them play in 1995.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:24:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Fair enough, I will have to say that Northwestern has turned into one of those programs that will beat your ass if you walk in there unaware. I like pulling for those kinds of teams.

Plus, your argument regarding the Big 10 is a valid one indeed.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:26:18 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the NFL is the best football league in the world.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:39:53 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
SEC has a good amount of consistent top-tier teams, and some god-awful bottom of the ladder teams too that never improve. Best? Nope.

Big-10 is, with the exception of Indiana recently, always incredibly tough from top to bottom. Ohio State, Michigan, Wisconsin, Purdue, Iowa, Penn State, one of those teams is always knocking on the Natl. Champion door....or taking it.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:57:50 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every other conference has some perennial diahrea teams, some conferences have 4 or 5 of these teams. Big 10 has in the last 10 years seen even their weakest teams have great seasons, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois. There are no bad teams in the Big10, there are top-5 teams, good solid teams, and some that are so so. Look at their games against ranked opponents in the last 20 years, and the record backs this up completely. Only the Big12 comes close, but there have been spells where even the the B12 was weaker across the board.

Give me any other conference, anywhere, and I'll show you 3 teams at the bottom that have been there since forever. That's not the case with the Big10, it's always bristling with 7 or 8 teams in the top-25.

ACC, SEC have some awesome teams, but they play 5 or 6 games against truly unworthy opponents. I suppose come bowl season tho that's good for them, as they're not beat to death.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Is not ARFCOM fucked up or what?  That is exactly my first thoughts at seeing the thread title
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:24:47 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Every other conference has some perennial diahrea teams, some conferences have 4 or 5 of these teams. Big 10 has in the last 10 years seen even their weakest teams have great seasons, Indiana, Northwestern, Illinois. There are no bad teams in the Big10, there are top-5 teams, good solid teams, and some that are so so. Look at their games against ranked opponents in the last 20 years, and the record backs this up completely. Only the Big12 comes close, but there have been spells where even the the B12 was weaker across the board.

Give me any other conference, anywhere, and I'll show you 3 teams at the bottom that have been there since forever. That's not the case with the Big10, it's always bristling with 7 or 8 teams in the top-25.

ACC, SEC have some awesome teams, but they play 5 or 6 games against truly unworthy opponents. I suppose come bowl season tho that's good for them, as they're not beat to death.

The bottom feeders of the Big10 are really not all that good.  I recall IU barely getting by a div. 1-AA opponent last year that I believe didn't even make it into the playoffs.  Northwestern hasn't done anything for the Big10 in a couple of years (aside from making the conference GPA respectable) and Illiinois...they're lucky if they can beat IU (who we're already covered).  As for Purdue and PSU..State has one good year after a decade of pathetic play and they are now a national championship contender?  Come on.  Purdue is by far the most overaated/dissappointing school in the Big10.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 2:39:48 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The bottom feeders of the Big10 are really not all that good.  I recall IU barely getting by a div. 1-AA opponent last year that I believe didn't even make it into the playoffs.  Northwestern hasn't done anything for the Big10 in a couple of years (aside from making the conference GPA respectable) and Illiinois...they're lucky if they can beat IU (who we're already covered).  As for Purdue and PSU..State has one good year after a decade of pathetic play and they are now a national championship contender?  Come on.  Purdue is by far the most overaated/dissappointing school in the Big10.

I already said this, but it bears repeating. What makes the Big10 unique is that even the "bottom" teams have had some stellar seasons. Even NW (which won the conference not too long ago). Indiana had a great season when Randle-El was QB. Illinois has been a disappointment recently, but they still beat up some good 10 teams.

Now, look at ANY OTHER CONFERENCE, ANYWHERE, and you'll see that the bottom teams are losers year after year after year. Their programs never seem to improve, they are constant whipping posts for the top teams. There's no parity, because some of those teams are hopelessly outlcassed with $$ and athletic departments the size of high schools.

Only the Big12 is on the same level all the way across the conference, but right now I think the Big10 is overall the toughest conference to go undefeated in, and that's part and parcel why the Buckeyes are rated #1, PSU was #2 last year, and OSU was #3.

You don't agree? Fine, but the stats on the Big10 are pretty impressive, especially aggregate strength of schedule for the last 10 years.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:13:28 AM EDT
[#16]
The Wolverines play Vandy in its first game.  BIG10 Vs SEC, first nonbowl match up in several years.

Want to place a wager?  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 3:14:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Big-10.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:51:34 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
The Wolverines play Vandy in its first game.  BIG10 Vs SEC, first nonbowl match up in several years.

Want to place a wager?  

Go Steel 'Dores !!!  

Actually, didn't Vanderbilt BEAT Tenneessee last year?  The were a bit of sleeper last season, and actually played really well.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:55:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Whatever
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:56:48 AM EDT
[#21]
How many DIFFERENT SEC teams won national championships in the 90's:

Tennessee
Alabama
Florida

(and Auburn had an undefeated season)

can you beat that?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 9:59:17 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is not ARFCOM fucked up or what?  That is exactly my first thoughts at seeing the thread title

+1

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:00:13 AM EDT
[#23]

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#24]
WTF cares about college sports? a bunch of punk kids straight off the high school playground?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
WTF cares about college sports? a bunch of punk kids straight off the high school playground?

I dunno - perhaps the people posting in this thread?

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:25:38 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

43 million people attended college football games in 2005
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:27:42 AM EDT
[#27]
We don't need no stinkin' conference!

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:34:40 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Any arguments?

Nope.  Not from me.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:34:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Go NAIA!!!!!  
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 10:42:43 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Want to place a wager?  

No, but I would pay money to see the school up north lose to Vandy.  

- CD
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:13:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Want to place a wager?  

Go Steel 'Dores !!!  

Actually, didn't Vanderbilt BEAT Tenneessee last year?  The were a bit of sleeper last season, and actually played really well.

Yep, Vandy did beat Tennessee last year, and gave several others a good scare. However, last year was Tennessee's first losing season since 1988, really just a shell of the team that we are used to down here.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:17:58 AM EDT
[#32]
All I will say is ROLL TIDE
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:19:28 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Thats what I thought too
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:22:50 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Tennessee
Alabama
Florida

can you beat that?

Not quite but the Big10 is close, Michigan, outright 1997, Ohio State got a share of the polls in 1998. Penn State in 1994, again split in the polls. Ohio state won outright in 2002 of course.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:23:43 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Tennessee
Alabama
Florida

can you beat that?

Ohhh... how I love College Football
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:24:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Tennessee
Alabama
Florida

can you beat that?

Big XII has won four in the past ten years by three different teams, but we still have to listen to the same crap every year about the GREAT the SEC and Big 10.  

SBG
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:28:10 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tennessee
Alabama
Florida

can you beat that?

Not quite but the Big10 is close, Michigan, outright 1997, Ohio State got a share of the polls in 1998. Penn State in 1994, again split in the polls. Ohio state won outright in 2002 of course.

Nope, Michigan split in 1997 with Nebraska because the AP voters were a bunch of bitches who  turned in their ballots before Nebraska beat the ever loving shit out of the mighty Payton Manning.  

At least we got the cool trophy.

SBG
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:31:21 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

As opposed to overpaid whiny steroid freaks who just came from playing college ball?

Do you think NFL players materialize from thin air?
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:32:46 AM EDT
[#39]
But to gain admission in schools in the other conferences, you have to be able to read and sign your name on the admission forms, not just your mark. X
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:37:48 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Any arguments?

None here.

This seems an opportune moment to remind everyone of the essential differences between FOOTBALL down in the Deep South and football up North...

WOMEN'S ATTIRE
Up North: Chapstick in their back pocket and a $20 bill in their front pocket.
Down South: Louis Vuitton duffel with two lipsticks, powder, mascara (waterproof), concealer, and a fifth of bourbon. Wallet not necessary -that's what dates are for.

STADIUM SIZE
Up north: College football stadiums hold 20,000.
Down south: High school football stadiums hold 20,000.

NAMES
Up North: Doug Flutie
Down South: Herschel Walker

WEATHER
Up North: Snow and Ice.
Down South: Sunny, highs mid-60s, lows in the thirties.

FATHERS
Up North: Expect their daughter to understand Sylvia Plath.
Down South: Expect their daughters to understand pass interference.

ALUMNI
Up North: Take prospects on sailing trips before they join the law firm.
Down South: Take prospects on fishing trips so they don't leave for the NFL their senior year.

CAMPUS DECOR
Up North: Statues of Founding Fathers.
Down South: Statues of Heisman Trophy winners.

HOMECOMING QUEEN
Up North: Also a physics major.
Down South: Also Miss USA.

HEROES
Up North: Mario Cuomo
Down South: Paul "Bear" Bryant

GETTING TICKETS
Up North: 5 days before the game you can walk into the ticket office on campus and still purchase tickets.
Down South: 5 months before the game you can walk into the ticket office on campus and still be placed on the waiting list for tickets.

FRIDAY CLASSES AFTER A THURSDAY NIGHT GAME
Up North: Students and Teachers are not sure if they are going because they have class on Friday.
Down South: Teachers cancel class on Friday because they don't want to see the few hungover students that might actually make it to class on Friday.

PARKING
Up North: An hour or two before game time the university opens the campus for game parking.
Down South: RV's sporting their school flags begin arriving on Wednesday for the weekend's festivities. The real faithful begin arriving on Tuesday.

GAME DAY
Up North: A few students party in the dorm and watch ESPN on TV.
Down South: Every student wakes up, has a beer for breakfast, and rushes over to where ESPN is broadcasting Game Day "Live" to get on camera and wave to the idiots from up North who wonder why Game Day is never broadcast from their campus.

TAILGATING
Up North: Wieners on the grill, beer with a lime in it, listening to local radio station with
truck tailgate down.
Down South: 30-foot custom pig-shaped smoker fires up at dawn. Cooking accompanied by live performance by Hootie & the Blowfish, who come over during breaks and ask for a hit off your bottle of bourbon.

GETTING TO THE STADIUM
Up North: You have to ask, "Where's the stadium?" When you find it you walk right in with no line.
Down South: When you're near it, you'll hear it. On game day, it becomes the State's third largest city.

CONCESSIONS
Up North: Drinks served in a paper cup filled to the top with soda.
Down South: Drinks served in a plastic cup with the home team's mascot-filled less than
halfway to ensure enough room for bourbon.

WHEN THE NATIONAL ANTHEM IS PLAYED
Up North: Stands are less than half full.
Down South: 80,000+ fans sing along in perfect 3-part harmony.

THE SMELL IN THE AIR AFTER THE FIRST SCORE
Up North: Nothing changes.
Down South: Fireworks with a twist of bourbon.

COMMENTARY (MALE)
Up North: "Nice play."
Down South: "!@#$ it you slow !@#$%^& - tackle him and break his legs!!!"

COMMENTARY (FEMALE)
Up North: "My, this is a violent sport."
Down South: "!@#$ it you slow !@#$%^& - tackle him and break his legs!!!"

AFTER THE GAME
Up North: The stadium is empty before the game ends.
Down South: Another rack of ribs on the smoker. While somebody goes to the nearest package store for more bourbon, planning begins for next week's party game...

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:40:45 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Big XII has won four in the past ten years by three different teams, but we still have to listen to the same crap every year about the GREAT the SEC and Big 10.  

SBG

Seriously, I think it's obvious that there really isn't ONE "best" conference.  Obviously, the SEC, Big 12 and Big 10 all have some really powerful teams in them, and conferences like the ACC and Pac 10 have a couple of good teams each too.

I just like rooting for the Big 10, and while I think the average strength of the teams in the Big 10 is pretty high, to top teams are not always as good as Big 12 or SEC teams, or the occasional Florida St., Miami or USC.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

This seems an opportune moment to remind everyone of the essential differences between FOOTBALL down in the Deep South and football up North...

STADIUM SIZE

Some of the Big 10 stadiums, like Michigan's "Big House" are pretty big, IIRC.

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:46:10 AM EDT
[#43]
ACC!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:47:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
ACC!

wOOt!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 11:48:36 AM EDT
[#45]
Yet another year of listening to how great the SEC is and how no one can go undefeated in the Big10 because its cold there or something.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:00:52 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Any arguments?

No argument from me.

GEAUX TIGERS!

Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Any arguments?

+1 You got that right!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:10:49 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Tennessee
Alabama
Florida

can you beat that?

exactly and how many SEC teams are always in the top 25 EVERY year???
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:16:16 PM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

STADIUM SIZE

Some of the Big 10 stadiums, like Michigan's "Big House" are pretty big, IIRC.

Micigan's stadium has a capacity of  107,000. U of Iowa can hold 70,000 people.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 12:18:09 PM EDT
[#50]
The real question is how does the SEC do in their bowl games..............
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top