Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2006 1:44:03 PM EDT
Hey there folks, I was just trying to get some advice on what to try next.  I've been hanging around the cigar store for a little while, but the folks working there don't know too much.  I asked for "something mild" and they set me up with Romeo y Julieta Maduros.  Yeah, really.  I'm still new at this, so the R&J's were way too strong.  I've tried various cigars (mostly cheap and mid-priced), and my two favorites so far are Arturo Fuente 8-5-8's and Onyx Robustos.  The Fuentes are good and very consistent in flavor.  I honestly like the Onyx better, but they're a little hit and miss.  Sometimes they're great and other times they're bitter, at least that's what I've found.  I don't have a ton of disposable income at the moment so cost is an issue.   Anyway, what do you think I should try next?  MJD
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:46:00 PM EDT
[#1]
I've really taken a shine to Punch gran puro's lately.

Let them age in a humidor a while.

www.bestcigarprices.com/punch-gran-puro-rancho/cigars-5669.html#5669
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to cigarsinternational.com or Thompsoncigar.com   they have a ton of varity and brand smaplers at pretty good prices.Just an option.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
CAO gold...can't go wrong
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:49:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I think Macanudo is known for mild smokes (don't know cause I prefer full bodied). You really need to go to a better shop.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:51:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I know most people are going to flame for this but I love, and I mean love the Macanudo Maduro Hampton Court #5s. They are a sweet mild Cigar that burn slow and I smoke one every chance I get. They wont kill your wallet and I personally enjoy the hell out of them. Dont clip theend, Poke a hole and go

http://www.thecigarstore.com/product.php?p=1730
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:52:56 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

I tried a CAO once, some flavored thing somebody gave me.  I learned then that flavored cigars are not my thing.  Never tried the one you speak of.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:57:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Flavored cigars are very sorry...

The CAO gold is usually very smooth, mild to medium, mostly an excellent draw, sometimes a slight cedar flavor.

Give it a go.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 1:58:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Padron 3000's.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:00:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Fuente Hemingways, any of them, ranging from the 30 minute short story to the classic.

Generally, light wrapper= mild, maduro, or dark=strong.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:00:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Ask this guy.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:02:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Great info, I think since theres a car and bikes section, we could stand to have a "Cigs and Booze" section...although it could potentially promote (indirectly in the view of outsiders) guns and booze, still I think there could be some great discussions in there.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Despite having given up cigars, I really do miss them.
And i used to smoke and spend a LOT
a.  you need a better shop for sure.

You can never go wrong with an Arturo Fuente, they have many flavors (mild to strong)  many sizes and tend to be pretty consistent.

I liked the Onyx's, but damn their quality is all over the map, just pisses me off when you pay so much and you get home and it sucks.

Romeo's are pretty strong, stay away for now, you'll come back.

Mancanudo's and Punchs are always very mild, Mancando's always smoke well, not strong enough for me, but nice.  I never really Liked Punch's but people do.

Playing with the wrapper can help a lot, the dark wrappers are more sugarerly, sweeter.  (and the name for the dark wrapper totally escapes me)

Get a good humidor, let them age a bit, keep them on the right.

DO NOT LIGHT WITH A ZIPPO or other crappy lighter.  use matches, that flavor getsin there and ruins the whole thing.

Another thing you'll begin to notice is that cigars changes as you smoke them.  They might start bitter, mellow out in the middle and go bitter by the end, some are good to the last 1/2 inch.

If you ever get a chance to get a real cuban (not fake) TAKE IT.  Unbelievable, so much levels beyond.

HTH
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:12:52 PM EDT
[#13]
This is what I have been enjoying as of late.
http://www.bonitasmokeshop.com/aurora_100_anniversary_cigars.htm
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:25:10 PM EDT
[#14]

Cigs and Booze section...

Yes we need more things that I can piss my money away on!!! I have to get off of this site... It's killing my walllet! Is there a group to help me do that?
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:29:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+100

You want a fairly mild everyday cigar that draws like butter, is creamy, never gets hot, and is spot on with quality time after time, get yourself a CAO Gold.

Just like most of their cigars, this CAO is fantastic.

And BTW- Stay away from ANY flavored cigar from any maker, period!
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:31:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Padron 3000's.

Padron 3000's Maduro.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:35:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Ashton Cabinet Select Churchill's
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:36:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Ya'll are killing me with the R&J are too strong comments. Good lord.

I like R&Js I've smoked a bunch, but to me they are a smooth mild cigar. Even the dark Maduro is pretty easy smoke.

Unless your smoking ISOM R&J, maybe then it's a truer statement.

Fonseca, La Aurora, the Fuente 858s already mentioned, are all very smooth smokes.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Go to cigarsinternational.com or Thompsoncigar.com   they have a ton of varity and brand smaplers at pretty good prices.Just an option.

I love the sampler kits for trying new cigars.  It sucks to buy $50 of cigars I find out I hate.
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#20]
I usually smoke Padron Londres.  They're a great cheap cigar - around $2.50 per stick, cheaper when you buy a box.  I prefer the maduros but they also come in a natural (lighter, milder) wrapper which would probably be more suited to your tastes.  

They're consistently fresh with an easy draw.  I prefer them to many cigars that I've tried that cost two or three times more.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:08:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Man Im tellin you guys, we need a Cig's and booze section...the first thing I do when I move is getting a nice humidor. On that note, not to hijack this, but while were discussing all things cigars...any humidor suggestions? I have been pointed to ebay, but some of those humidors dont look well...right...
Link Posted: 8/18/2006 6:49:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Man Im tellin you guys, we need a Cig's and booze section...the first thing I do when I move is getting a nice humidor. On that note, not to hijack this, but while were discussing all things cigars...any humidor suggestions? I have been pointed to ebay, but some of those humidors dont look well...right...

Go to your local "mart" store. Find the biggest damn cooler on end of summer sale. Clean it really well with mild detergent. Rinse the heck out of it. Let it dry thoroughly.

Keep your cigars in the original box. Place in cooler. Keep tightly closed. Repeat as necessary when you find a good deal.

Repeat as needed. You aren't serious until you have at least two.

The money you spend on fancy wooden humidors could be spent on really good 'gars instead!
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:45:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't worry, I light them with matches.  I'm not sure why that's better, but I do it anyway.  

Seems like the CAO gold is a strong pick.  I'd heard the Macanudos are really mild, perhaps even too mild.  I'll check to see what's available.  Now it's just a matter of whether I can get any of them for the same or less as I'm paying for the 858's.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 11:54:25 AM EDT
[#24]
macanudos are exceptionally mild --i consider them to be a "beginner" cigar.

if you like maduro wrappers (which you aparantly do) try:

hoyo de monterrey excalibur #1 or #2 in maduro

anything from arturo fuente is good

almost anything from punch is good

la gloria cubanas are good too, but choose the torpedo or the double corona because they are the only two styles that haven't been outsourced.

try something from nat sherman

all that being said, i have spent years looking for the elusive "perfect cigar".  i have come to believe that it probably just isn't out there, but the closest i have ever come was with one cigar--the OPUS X.  if fuente is toyota, opus x is their lexus.  it is probably the best cigar i have ever had and they are incredibly consistent with their quality control.  i have smoked all manner of cuban, honduran, dominican, canary island and mexican cigars--opus x tops them all in my book.

by the way, stay away from mexican cigars--they ALL suck ass.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 12:38:53 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
macanudos are exceptionally mild --i consider them to be a "beginner" cigar.

if you like maduro wrappers (which you aparantly do) try:

hoyo de monterrey excalibur #1 or #2 in maduro

anything from arturo fuente is good

almost anything from punch is good

la gloria cubanas are good too, but choose the torpedo or the double corona because they are the only two styles that haven't been outsourced.

try something from nat sherman

all that being said, i have spent years looking for the elusive "perfect cigar".  i have come to believe that it probably just isn't out there, but the closest i have ever come was with one cigar--the OPUS X.  if fuente is toyota, opus x is their lexus.  it is probably the best cigar i have ever had and they are incredibly consistent with their quality control.  i have smoked all manner of cuban, honduran, dominican, canary island and mexican cigars--opus x tops them all in my book.

by the way, stay away from mexican cigars--they ALL suck ass.

Oh yes, this man speaks the truth throughout his post.

yes, the Opus X's are the best cigar around sans Cubans.
and they are unbelievable, esp when aged a litt.e
They are what all cigars should be.  perfect smoking, perfect ash, perfect same flavor through and through.
You can actually get them now and they were impossible in the late 90's
Buy one for a special occasion and understand what a good cigar really is.

Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:30:29 PM EDT
[#26]
The highest quality "light" cigars I've ever smoked were "AVO"s.  Macanudos are a nice mild cigar but you owe it to yourself to seek out a couple of AVO Belicosas or Petite Belicosas.  My 2c ... but then I'm in cigar town, USA, not far from Calle Ocho in Little Havana.
Stay safe
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 6:50:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I found a great humidor on E-bay.  I think it at like $80 shipped.  Has a good seal, can go for about 4 months without adding and solution to it (unless I am in and out of it alot).  Hold 100-150 gars (depending on ring size)

Try Punch.
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:40:26 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I found a great humidor on E-bay.  I think it at like $80 shipped.  Has a good seal, can go for about 4 months without adding and solution to it (unless I am in and out of it alot).  Hold 100-150 gars (depending on ring size)

Try Punch.

I noticed there are several people who sell gar boxes ont here, do you remember which ebay seller you got yours from? ALSO, can you post pics?!?!

maybe others can post pics of there set ups?

I still say we need a "cigs and booze" forum...
Link Posted: 8/22/2006 8:50:04 PM EDT
[#29]
cmon over to eherf.com, there are lots of arfcommers and some great info to be had
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top