Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2001 2:10:25 PM EDT
I've been out of the loop, any new info in the last 24 hrs.?

Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:12:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:22:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Do we know what type of gun it was?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:28:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Gobblin,
Won't know which gun until they dig it out of their "half burnt guns warehouse".
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:29:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Do we know what type of gun it was?
View Quote

No word yet.  This is the last I have seen:

"Underneath the body they found an assault rifle, and close by they found another rifle and a bulletproof vest," he said. Investigators also found a police identification badge and discovered the carcass of Beck's dog in a laundry room leading to the garage, he said"
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:36:26 PM EDT
[#5]
It bugs me that the first thing the LEOs do in this type of situation is start the spin cycle.

A deputy gets shot? Had to be the "armed, convicted felon with super-accurate, belt-fed, automatic elephant guns."

This one stinks and it appears to be both sides that are oozing sh!t.

I hope somebody digs up and reports the truth.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#6]
On the news they said an assault weapon was discovered and then showed the burnt remains of what looked like a Remington 700.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:01:36 PM EDT
[#7]
They probably are just going to keep saying "assault weapon" because it probably wasn't an assault weapon at all.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
They probably are just going to keep saying "assault weapon" because it probably wasn't an assault weapon at all.
View Quote

Of course. What did you expect? Accurate reporting of the facts?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:15:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Did the police say AW's or did the media interpret that term in ther?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:22:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't matter either way.  A lot of LEO's wouldn't know an assault weapon if it jumped up and bit them on the nose.  
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:26:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Face it, everything is an "assault weapon" or "sniper rifle" when the news get's a hold of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#12]
It will be interesting to see what impact this event has on liberty.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:29:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Wouldn't matter either way.  A lot of LEO's wouldn't know an assault weapon if it jumped up and bit them on the nose.  
View Quote

Well my point was a PD that makes a consious choice to "characterize" weapons by using that term, if they know they are not is misleading the public, deception etc.

The news people have no requirement to know what an assualt weapon is, and often use it to describe a weapon used in an assualt.

I think if weapons are mis-named who did it is key especially if there is motive for deception.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This could go 2 ways:

1) He may be seen as a criminal who was willing to do whatever was neccesary to get/keep weapons, icluding killing. This might not do anything except make people leery of criminals

2) If he is embraced by parts of the gun community, expect bad things. Because then it becomes a gun problem not a criminal problem.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:45:28 PM EDT
[#15]
True. I think we ought to refrain from associating ourselves from a cop-killer.

Now, if the truth comes out that the law had no business going after this guy...

As it stands, looks like he was a wacko.

Time might tell us what really happened.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:47:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

Well my point was a PD that makes a consious choice to "characterize" weapons by using that term, if they know they are not is misleading the public, deception etc.

The news people have no requirement to know what an assualt weapon is, and often use it to describe a weapon used in an assualt.

I think if weapons are mis-named who did it is key especially if there is motive for deception.
View Quote

Your first point is very true.  However, the news media does have a duty to report the unbiased truth{smirk} to the best of their ability.  The reality is far from that, however.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#17]
My first point has sinister implications if there was a misrepresentation.  They said he had 3 "AW's" last I saw. AR-15 and an AK-47 is it me or is there some questionable math?

The second tho' bad is not quite as sinister.
Tabloid Journalism has been mainstream since the '80's
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 5:29:09 PM EDT
[#18]
So three"assault" weapons is now considered a"STOCKPILE" eh ???
And BTW, I thought the definition of a "assault weapon" is full auto. were these full auto ???
Oh well, The atf will just plant whatever they want depending on their needs.
[img]www.stopstart.fsnet.co.uk/smilie/nogood.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your putten on airs there...

If you mean what will it do to gun control?

Nothin

Gun control are bad words in Washington these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top