Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/2/2001 7:28:20 AM EDT
LONDON (Reuters) - Even the keenest beer drinker may hesitate before sampling the latest beverage on sale in the Orkney islands off northern Scotland -- a "Stone Age" beer flavored with animal dung.

Historians have recreated the recipe after uncovering what they claim is a 5,000-year-old pub and brewery on the remote archipelago.

Merryn Dineley, a Manchester University historian and chief brewer of the ancient liquor, told the weekly paper The Observer Sunday that the brew was "quite delicious." The ale is brewed in clay pots with traces of baked animal droppings.

Dineley examined stone-lined drains running under houses in the Neolithic village of Skara Brae in the Orkneys and found evidence of a kiln for malting grain and traces of a cereal-based fermented alcohol.

Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:09:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:26:11 AM EDT
[#2]
It sounds subversive enough to be the work of Stone Age prohibitionists-the Ogday Itshay Inkerdrays [;)]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:28:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 8:54:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Wouldn't it be funny if, after all this elaborate scientific research, the animal droppings were in the pots purely by accident?
View Quote

I was thinking the same thing... seems there taking one hell of a leap on very old information.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Seems like a pretty big marketing gamble too. I'm mean really, beer brewed with animal dung? Ain't exactly the Budweiser frogs.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:25:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Scientists are idiots sometimes.  Give me a break.  Shit Beer?  Can they really expect anyone that is not a serious helpless alchoholic to buy that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:39:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Holy skunky beer Batman!

Suddenly milking Sterno through old socks dose'nt seem so bad..

Meplat
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 12:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
I guess this is a couple of steps past the "Pure Rocky Mountain Doe Piss" that we are so familiar with.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 12:13:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Mmmm Pooh!

[(:|)]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#10]
This is nothing new.  I'm convinced that Burger King has been brewing their coffee with dog shit for years.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 12:37:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Ban guns in a country and the next thing you know people are drinking shit.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 1:32:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Geez. The clay pots were probably fired in kiln that used dried cow or steer manure. It doesn't mean the shit was inside of the clay.

Link Posted: 9/2/2001 2:12:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Geez. The clay pots were probably fired in kiln that used dried cow or steer manure. It doesn't mean the shit was inside of the clay.

View Quote

Exactly.  There are some American Indians that made/make pottery using relatively dry cow/buffalo manure as a sort of primitive kiln.  The manure burns and coats the pottery with a shiny black covering at the same time.  Though I cannot remember the tribe, it was a very large one that was very powerful in it's time before all us white folks came around and ruined everything.  Beautiful pottery that I would be proud to own, but VERY expensive.

The use of pottery in brewing goes back further than the use of metal or the use of glass like modern brewers use.  I've tasted orkney's skull splitter ale made by the very same company that makes the 'poop' ale you folks are poking fun at and that happens to be a damned good brewing company.  While I will try to avoid their brews with the baked excrement additive, I will continue to drink their skull splitters with gusto and pray that there is no cross contamination in the brews.  

Methinks that the Orkney company has made a small error in their willingness to try new things.  Poop on the outside of the pottery probably means that animal dung was used in the firing process of the clay and NOT the actual brewing process.  Of course when you really think about it that first batch had to be really crappy huh...
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 6:03:08 PM EDT
[#14]
They should examine the clay pots closer to see if it says "Budweiser" on them...
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 6:05:42 PM EDT
[#15]
PS---Brings new meaning to the term "shit-faced"...
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#16]
You got to be shitting us.  Shit Beer.  
How about some shit mints to go with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top