Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2001 4:17:08 PM EDT
on its first disassembly i couldnt get the firing pin retainer in and after a flurry of trying to figure it out here, i attempted to straighten the pin and it broke. man a long weekend and im not even gonna be able to shoot my new rifle i am pissed. i guess im gonna order one from dpms that is not a coter pin type. are these better?
 also i wonder how often do you have to replace the gas seal things at the aft end of the bolt?
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:22:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it an AR15?  I wonder if any same sized cotter pin will work.  After all, the lil' thing does not do anything except keep the firing pin from going too far back.
ches
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:28:05 PM EDT
[#2]
someone here told me that it wouldnt work(hardware store replacement) i really wanted to break in the barrel this weekend so i went and got one anyway. the guy was right, the real pin is flat on top. all the ones i saw are round and would scrape on the inside of the reciever. did i mention im pissed?
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:30:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:33:57 PM EDT
[#4]
shoot im in kc. i believe i got it figured out now all except for the gas rings
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I can't see any reason not to use a hardware store cotter pin for the weekend. You'll have to flatten the eye of it a bit for clearance.

Lessons learned: Buy yourself a field repair kit at first opportunity.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:48:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top