Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2001 12:22:21 PM EDT
Any good?...........[:)]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#1]
SOG and Century have real Jungle Carbines available for what Gibbs charges for fake ones.

Dennis Jenkins

Quoted:
Any good?...........[:)]
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 5:02:30 PM EDT
[#2]
........[grenade]......
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 5:25:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 5:26:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I beleive Gibbs rebuilds these rifles and in a sence they are like new rifles.  I built my own fake Jungle Carbine using a No 4 and parts from Sarco, several years ago when they were not available at a reasonable cost.  

OSA  
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 5:36:18 PM EDT
[#5]
OSA.....I have a #3 that I was thinking of doing this to....I assume you shortened the bbl......how does it shoot?...my thoughts were that if you crown the muzzle, it would`nt hurt the accuracy....AND install a brake/front sight setup, like the carbines?????.....[smoke]...p/s...saw a BEAUTIFUL mauser-sporterized w/scope today, a REALLY nice gun....price too good to be true....when I stuck my borelight in it, I could BARELY see any rifeling....barrel shot out was my thought....too bad (if I`m right) what a great buy on a absolutely beautiful gun.....[>(]
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 6:39:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
OSA.....I have a #3 that I was thinking of doing this to....I assume you shortened the bbl......how does it shoot?...my thoughts were that if you crown the muzzle, it would`nt hurt the accuracy....AND install a brake/front sight setup, like the carbines[>(]
View Quote

I bought three beat up No. 4 Mk I. for $65.00 each at a gun show. They sat in my closet for a few years.  Aprox. in 1990 I decided I would try to make a No. 5, as they were over $400 to buy a real one at that time.  I cut the barrel down to 18 inches, and recrowned it on my lathe (old WWII vintage Southbend).  I bought the rubber buttpad and flash-hider from Sarco.  I used the original stock and trimmed it down, discarding the front handguard. I also sanded about 1/16 inch off the buttstock to clean up the dents and dings.  I bleached the stocks until they were a light brown/blonde color.   The metals finish was that typical Enfield chipped paint, so I bead blasted it and repainted with exhaust header paint.  Looking back, I should of used Brownells Alumi-Hyde, but didn't know about it back then.  This was truly a budget rifle.  I believe I have about $125 into it.  I built this rifle while I was in college.  Looking back, it wasn't my best work, but it was a great project.  I didn't know crap about crowning then, but it worked out.  I can get as good of groups at 100 yards as I can with my stock No. 4.  It does kick a little more though.

OSA  
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the Quest Extreme in .303

For a $240 rifle its a great deal.

Some issues:
Some of the plating on the bolt flaked off.
The rolled pin keeping the front site/compensator didn't last long.
Thats it.

I replaced the rear wartime expediant peep site with a real adjustable site, and added a sling.

Other than that, recoil isn't an issue, I can shoot it all day.  It hits where I point it.

I haven't done any bench rest accuracy tests yet. I don't expect it to be a 1 MOA gun.

Its a fun hard hitting little carbine.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#8]
The Gibbs rifles are bascially new rifles in that they take an old rifle, completely arsenal remake it and thus put out a high quality gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the Gibbs version of the Jungle
Carbine.  It was originally chambered in .308,
and of course it still is.

I like it a great deal, with one caveat.  Smooth
action, 12 round mag, .308, lets your shoulder
know it's there, and as far as I can tell,
reasonably accurate.

What I HATE about this weapon is the sights.
Pure 100% crap. I had to bend the front blade
to get the windage close.  The rear ladder type
sights are less than useless.  After each shot
the adjustment would bump from the lowest point
up to 400 or so meters.  I tried gluing it in
place at the lowest setting, and that lasted for
a few range trips.  I sent off about $40 for a
"non-gunsmith" scope mount - which was $40 down
the toilet.  Basically, what I have is a rifle
whose manual of arms is - fire a shot - work the
bolt - pull the rear sight back into "low", ...

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could tell me
about a replacement rear sight (peep preferred)
or a sturdy scope mount (second choice).

Hope this helps,

DanM
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:28:27 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.e-gunparts.com/model.asp?idDept=231

see what numrich gun parts has.

There are scope mounts for that model, I'll post some links when and if I ever get home.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 10:49:01 PM EDT
[#11]
DanM:  Williams makes a receiver (peep) sight which should fit your rifle.  It comes in two versions, the FP-SMLE (which has micrometer adjustments) and the 5D-SMLE (which doesn’t).  

Brownells.com carries both sights – they list them for the No. 4 &5 SMLE but I think the sights will work on a No. 1 also.

Some gunsmithing is required to install this sight.
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:46:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the tips.  I found the Williams sights in my Brownell's catalog.  Now I have to
ponder if I should spend half what I paid for
the rifle, for a rear sight.  And if I can
smith it myself...
Don't ya hate Brownell's crappy indexing scheme?

DanM
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 4:53:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 5:54:48 PM EDT
[#14]
DanM, I had a similar problem with my SKS ramp site. I had to replace the leaf spring under the ladder site. I'd bet thats the same problem with your rifle. Its something that only seems to make itself apparent while shooting. I wouldn't be surprised that if you don't replace the spring, it launches itself out from under the ladder site.

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Lord.  I dont see any leaf spring.  This
contraption is a geared ladder and a geared
know one presses and pushes with the fingers
in order to raise the sights.
Thanks for the idea though...

DanM
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Have jungle carbine converted from Indian .308
Refinished (painted I think)
Quite accurate although headspace is a little questional on the loose side
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:34:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 9/3/2001 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#19]
[img]www.ellisonsmilitaryrifles.com/archives/jcar.jpg[/img]
I believe that this is a Navy Arms [b]built[/b] Jungle Carbine.  Notice the early type sights

[img]www.ellisonsmilitaryrifles.com/archives/longbranch.jpg[/img]
I like the sights on a No. 4 better

[img]www.oldrifles.com/gunpic13.jpg[/img]
and to the best of my knowlage, this is a [b]real[/b] No. 5

OSA

Link Posted: 9/3/2001 7:43:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got the Gibb's Quest Extreme in .303. I added an ashley outdoor scout mount and a ching sling and have a great knock about scout rifle. The sporter stock is very nice to use, even with the scout scope, and the finish has been pretty durable. Accuracy is adequate for my pig hunting tasks.

It's not in the same league as my Steyr Scout, of course, but if needs be I don't mind throwing it down the mountain and then climbing down after it. It sees a lot of use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top