Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2001 2:41:24 PM EDT
FAL and other short stoke rifles.

Hi all,

I've a few questions about the FAL and other rifles. If anyone can provide answers to any of them, I'd really appreciate it.

How far down the barrel is the FAL gas tube? The G36? AR-18(0)? SG-550?

What is the gas port diameter for the FAL? The G36? AR-18(0)? SG-550?

Does the FAL gas tube bleed off gas, after the piston is sent on it's way? Does the G36, et al.?

Is the gas system of the FAL adjusted by venting gas, or by limiting the amount of gas used? What about other rifles?

Does gas bleed past the piston, under normal conditions, in a FAL? A G36, et al.? I'm under the impression that the AR-18 and G36 both use sealer rings, so I'd imagine not, in their case. But what about the others?

What is the approximate diameter and length of the gas tube in a FAL? A G36, et al.?

What is the approximate diameter and length of the gas piston in a FAL? A G36, et al.?

What's the approximate weight of the bolt carrier in a FAL? A G36, et al.?

Thanks,
Banshee

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 2:51:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.  I was under the impression that the gas tube of the FAL was more like the SKS, and surrounded the piston entirely all the way back to the receiver.  What I understand from your post is that the piston is essentially free, outside of the gas block, something like the Tokarev rifle.  Is that the case, or does the piston sit inside a tube like the SKS?

Please, anyone with knowledge about these things, post away.

Thanks,
 Banshee
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:45:09 PM EDT
[#3]
btt

And by the way, blueprints would be great, but none that I've seen have anything but the receivers.  I could care less about that, I'm interested in the gas system.  Anywhere special to look?

Banshee
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top