Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2001 7:24:22 AM EDT
I haven't been around much lately.. working a lot of overtime and summer is a busy time for me with the farm (stinking grass won't grow in the pasture and won't [i]stop[/i] growing on the lawn!).  Plus I have to carve out some time for a social life.... [;)]

The last few weeks, however, have been some of the roughest times I've ever gone through.  My oldest mare and first horse, Windy, turned up dead lame four weeks ago.  The vet thought, at first, that it was an abcess but after a week of soaking it it still hadn't ruptured.  

I had a second vet out to take xrays. She had to take a second set of xrays before she determined that Windy had advanced arthritis and had actually chipped off a piece of her fetlock joint.  We agreed to keep her on bute until the senior vet could come out and inject the joint.

The following Thursday morning (nine days ago) I woke up and Windy was down in her paddock and couldn't get up.  Her near side hindquarter was ballooned up.  I called the vet out and we spent an hour and a half pumping her full of steroids, banamine, DMSO, saline, etc before we got her back up.  I made an appointment with the senior vet for the next day.  

Let me just say that at this point we didn't know what was wrong but she wasn't looking good.  Windy fell down a second time Thursday afternoon and while I was holding her head she kind of told me she was tired and in a lot of pain.  Bless her heart though... she got back up ten minutes later.  

The senior vet came out Friday afternoon and within a few minutes and some manipulation it was very clear that her leg was broken.  I held her head as the vet put her to sleep.  I have never in my life experienced pain like that.  

Windy and I had been together 18 years and I knew that she would go at some point but I really thought it would be 5 or 10 years down the road.  The blessing is that she is no longer in pain and I have no doubts about the decision to put her down.  

But I miss my friend.

[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1069148&a=7896069&p=26455802&Sequence=0&res=high[/img]

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:29:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:31:04 AM EDT
[#2]
MM, I'm terribly sorry for your loss...I know these things really hurt.  You and Windy are in my thoughts.

-Chimborazo
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:31:17 AM EDT
[#3]
I am deeply sorry for your lost...My condolence and regrets.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:31:42 AM EDT
[#4]
She's runnin' free now...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:32:05 AM EDT
[#5]
please accept our sympathy and condolences. it isnt always easy to do the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:34:03 AM EDT
[#6]
MM,

My family has lived with horses for our entire lives (my dauhgter and son both ahve riden before they could walk).  Losing a horse like that is like losing a member of your family, don't try to treat it any other way (said in a most consoling tone).

Heres to Alfalfa and sugar cube heaven, I have been there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:34:30 AM EDT
[#7]
My deepest sympathies, but she did live a long and healthy life with you.  Many are less fortunate not to live so long.

Glad to see you back, finally!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:43:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]
I had a similar experience  with a pony that was like a member of the family. I know how you feel.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend Miss M.

Very pretty horse.

Perhaps she will run into my pony Pepper, who left this earth a long long time ago.

Again, sorry to hear about your troubles............chin up if you can...God is always in charge!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:49:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:59:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Eighteen years is a LOOOONNG time.

I can't remember who said, or the exact quote, but it roughly rendered was....

"You can tell alot about a person by how they care for their animals."

Hang in their, MM.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#13]
Miss Magnum,
 Terribly sorry to hear of your loss.  I know
there's nothing I can say that will ease the
pain, but you're in our prayers.  Maybe she'll
run into Jack, my younger sister's quarterhorse
of 23 years.

-kid
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:06:09 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm sorry about the loss of your friend, Windy. I'm glad you were with her for her last ride.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#15]
And my little Shetland "Taffy"...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:21:52 AM EDT
[#16]
She comes down     from Yellow Mountain

On a dark, flat land she rides

On a pony she named Wildfire

Whirlwind by her side

On a cold Nebraska night.

Oh, they say she died one winter
When there came an early frost
And the pony she named Wildfire
Busted down its stall,
In a blizzard she was lost.

She ran calling Wild---fire,

Calling Wild---fire,

Calling Wi----i----ld----fi----i----re.

By the dark of the moon I planted

But there came an early snow.              

Been a hoot owl howlin' outside my window now,

For six nights in a row.

She's comin' for me, I know

And on Wildfire we're both gonna go.    

We'll be ridin' Wildfire,
Ridin' Wildfire,
We'll be ridin' Wildfire
On Wildfire we're gonna ride,
Gonna leave sodbustin' behind.
Get these hard times right on out of our minds,
Ridin' Wildfire.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:39:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Appaloosas hate poetry.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I'm very, very sorry.  
Second wife Linda lost the 23 year old Arab mare she grew up with a bit ago.  I'm not quite over that one yet, myself.
They always take a piece of you when they go, don't they?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:09:27 AM EDT
[#19]
MM,

My sincere condolences on the loss of a very special friend.

In Feb. I had to have my cat put down, who put up with me through thick and thin for 9yrs. I still miss her.

Both have left their pain behind and live on in our hearts where they will live young forever.

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:38:53 AM EDT
[#20]
My deepest sympathies to you Miss M. I grew up on a horse farm (18 Appaloosa's) and understand your loss.

I've been out of the house for 22 years and when I call home, my mother will tell me more news about the horses then what's up with my Dad. I think my Mom still likes my Dad, but I know she's loves her horses. :)

I'm very sorry. Take a deep breath and cry.

Also, the first knothead that says something derogatory, I'm coming after you.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:56:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers.  It means a lot. [:)]

I just got back from a friend's farm.  She owns the sire of my two babies and raises goats.  I went over to tell her about Windy and catch up on the local news (small town ::grin::) and we usually do that while visiting her 300 +/- goats... I help bottle feed and handle new babies or check up on others that I've know for a while.  Every so often they bring back a bunch from the auction.. usually get them back into good health, keep the best breeding stock and the rest go back to auction.  

So sue me!  I'm a little weak right now.. but they had a whole pen full of does that had come from the auction infested with lice and worms and they weren't going to keep but two of them.  Bear in mind, all of these babies had been bottle babies and are so friendly that they maul you when you get near them.  One little girl was just pathetic... incredibly skinny, one of her horns was even broken off.  But she was so sweet.  

Sooooooooo... I told my friend to get her dewormed, etc, and pick out a second baby that she gets along with (don't want her getting bullied).  I'm rationalizing this by saying I need them for weed control.  ::grin::

I think the little sickly girl is going to be "Princess".... I'm kicking around the idea of naming her buddy "The Pea"... [:D]

I have to go work on their pen now. ::wry grin::
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:38:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Godspeed Windy.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:51:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:22:39 PM EDT
[#25]
I grew up on a dairy farm and it is really something how a person can get attached to animals. I knew each cow buy name even if they all looked the same. they each have a different personality. I remember one we had named Gorilla(i don't know why she was named that) she somehow got shocked by some electric wires and she got down. We didn't find her till it was too late, it was a very sad day and everyone missed her for a long time.

I wish you the best Miss Magnum
-bricklayer
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:27:27 PM EDT
[#26]
My deepest condolences. My 16 year old puppy was put to sleep recently, and it is not an easy thing to watch a family member pass on.

She was a great lookin horsie.

Shawn
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:07:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Sorry that you lost part of your family..............
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:13:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Best wishes to you Miss M.  The board is kinda dull without you.  Planerench out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:38:25 PM EDT
[#29]
I share sentiments along with everyone else.

My dad gave me my first horse at age 10...not chickenfeed either, but a real nice registered quarterhorse.  A couple years later, we moved out to a cattle ranch.  88,000 acres and 1100 head of cattle.  What a time that was.  We weren't there long due to finances/economy/real estate and moved back.  I sold my horse when I left for college and have been a "city folk" ever since.

I still get to ride a little when I'm up at my parents' place...it's a great feeling.  Here's the last time I was up there:

[img]http://www.southwick.org/images/nevada/gallop3.jpg[/img][img]http://www.southwick.org/images/nevada/randp.jpg[/img]

The best part is I was able to let my daughters experience being on horseback for the first time.  They absolutely loved it.

[img]http://www.southwick.org/images/nevada/c1c2peanuts.jpg[/img]

- Robbie
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:57:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 2:10:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Sorry MM [:(]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Condolences, MM.

My wife has been keeping our cat alive through heroic efforts the last 4 years. Would you believe kitty dialysis, which means injecting 200cc's of Ringer's Solution under the cat's skin every other day for about 2 years? Fortunately the cat doesn't seem to need that any more, but it's going to be a sad day when she finally goes..

Link Posted: 9/1/2001 7:47:30 AM EDT
[#36]
I am sharing in your sadness MM.
I too lost a good friend this week.
My neighbor(only 42) died after a short but violent bout with Cancer.
When he was diagnosed back in May he already had Tumors throughout his body.

He leaves behind his Wife and 3 children.
And many friends.

May they rest in peace.

You have my sincerest condolences. (sniffle)

Del
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:47:33 AM EDT
[#37]
My deepest sympathy's. I am going to be going through the same thing very shortly, I'm afraid, with my daughter's horse.
We've only had him about four years, but he is my daughter's best friend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#38]
The only animal loss worse can be a trusted dog.

I had a half Clydsdale mare that lived to be 17, she was fantastic, every day she was ridden, if not but to round up the milk cows. 10 years after having had to put her to sleep, I still miss Red.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top