Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2001 4:56:29 AM EDT
Just a little something to remind you of the unique French character that we've all come to know and loathe.

From an old piece by Jonah Goldberg in NR, at:
[url]http://www.nationalreview.com/goldberg/goldberg083001.shtml[/url]

Eric The(SpeakingOfOldPieces,How'sMizBardot?)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:01:27 AM EDT
[#1]
"They Sure Are."
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:51:25 AM EDT
[#2]
They certainly are revolting.  They are hell against unarmed prisoners or unarmed civilian populations, but against an enemy with any substance, they fold.  Can you say Germany 2, France 0 during the twentieth century?  

Their revolution occurred during the same general time frame as ours, but you did not see us executing unarmed British soldiers in the manner that the French murdered capture French soldiers.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:56:24 AM EDT
[#3]
The French are "revolting?""

Can't be true.

You can only revolt if you don't surrender first.

[}:D]

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:01:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:09:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The French are "revolting?""

Can't be true.

You can only revolt if you don't surrender first.

View Quote

ROTFLMAO garandman!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:16:09 AM EDT
[#6]
As an off the cuff remark, for a country that claims to have such a high esthetic, they sure made one hell of a lot of cuss ugly aircraft after WW1, which, by the way, they did nothing to help win.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]
During the bleak early days of WWII, when the Japanese were rampaging through the Phillipines and after Dugout Doug took off for more hospitable climes in Australia, an Army Lietenant Colonel named Fralick took about 40 of his troops who refused to surrender (the Nips were notorious for their treatment of prisoners) and sailed for French Indochina.

They made the hazardous, epic voyage in a rickety boat, enduring terrible heat and sun, scant rations and water and in constant fear that a Japanese surface ship or warplane would end their journey the hard way. They prevailed and landed in French Indochina, and LtCol Fralick marched his men to the regional governor's office to volunteer them as irregular troops. The French colonial governor returned the Colonel's salute, then promptly turned him and all his men over to the Nips.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:47:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
During the bleak early days of WWII, when the Japanese were rampaging through the Philippines and after Dugout Doug took off for more hospitable climes in Australia, an Army Lieutenant Colonel named Fralick took about 40 of his troops who refused to surrender (the Nips were notorious for their treatment of prisoners) and sailed for French Indochina.

They made the hazardous, epic voyage in a rickety boat, enduring terrible heat and sun, scant rations and water and in constant fear that a Japanese surface ship or warplane would end their journey the hard way. They prevailed and landed in French Indochina, and LtCol Fralick marched his men to the regional governor's office to volunteer them as irregular troops. The French colonial governor returned the Colonel's salute, then promptly turned him and all his men over to the Nips.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
View Quote

First, I always thought Douggy abandoned his troops.

Second, I am not the least bit surprised that the French colonial governor turned them in, as France is really spelled COLLABORATOR, as in they are the easiest to surrender and the biggest kiss asses once they surrender.  Oh, they were real badasses after we and the Brits saved them twice and they shaved the heads and even executed some women who they accused (sometimes with no proof, convenient way to settle a personal grudge) of collaboration.  They are hell on defenseless individuals.  I detest Greenpeace, but do you remember how the French attacked the unarmed Greenpeace ship many years ago?  They would not do that to a combatant ship.

Jarhead, where did you find that story about the Pussy...I mean French colonial governor?  I would love to have that to antagonize a certain French loving American that I know.  That story also solidified even more the utter contempt and disdain I have for the French.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:15:46 AM EDT
[#9]
LARRYG, here's a link to the website of a personal friend of Fralick's where the story is mentioned: [url]www.kmike.com/country/fr.htm[/url]

Fralick's son is an actor on a soap opera, and he mentioned the story in an interview I found when I did a google search for fralick+indochina.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.

--------------------
For Sale: French Rifles of World War I and World War II vintage. Condition: Never fired, bores and chambers mint. Some surface damage to wood and metal finish from being dropped suddenly to the ground.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 7:59:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Post from Jarhead_22 -
...and after Dugout Doug took off for more hospitable climes in Australia...
View Quote

and from LARRYG -
View Quote

I started another thread on 'Was Gen. MacArthur a Coward?' cause I wanted us to address this issue.

First, Pres. Roosevelt ordered him to Australia
and, as he later learned in Korea, the President is after all, the Commander in Chief.
MacArthur tendered his resignation of his commission to FDR, who refused it. MacArthur still had his commission in the Philippine Army and was prepared to fight on in that army!

Second, there was an honest to goodness threat of a Japanese invasion of Australia at the time (so much so that Australia recalled two of its divisions from Africa to deal with the threat) and Roosevelt wasn't about to have the most conspicuous and celebrated general in America's
arsenal publicly paraded in the streets of Tokyo, if he was captured!

Third, the US Congress bestowed the Medal of Honor on MacArthur in April, 1942, AFTER his departure from Corregidor. I doubt that Congress back in those days (it was still an honorable body back then) would have voted such a honor unanimously, if there were any question about the courage and devotion of the man.

Let me know if you think otherwise!

Eric The(Duty-Honor-Country)Hun[>]:)]

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:50:27 AM EDT
[#11]

--------------------
For Sale: French Rifles of World War I and World War II vintage. Condition: Never fired, bores and chambers mint. Some surface damage to wood and metal finish from being dropped suddenly to the ground.
View Quote

Ever notice when looking at surplus guns, most are very battle worn (Russian, German, Jap., etc.) except for the FRENCH. Those always seems to be advertised in "like new", "never fired" condition. I never really thought about it until now. Thanks Jarhead_22.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:45:56 AM EDT
[#12]
[^]For Sale: French Rifles of World War I and World War II vintage. Condition: Never fired, bores and chambers mint. Some surface damage to wood and metal finish from being dropped suddenly to the ground. [^]

"That made my laugh of the day!" LOL

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Eric, I completely agree with your assesment of MacArthur but you lost me when you refered to congress as being an honorable body in that time. I don't think those bastards have known the word honor since the turn of the century......19th century.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:40:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Another tale of the FRENCH.

When Allied forces landed in French North Africa they were fired upon by Vichy French forces. Never mind that Charles DeGualle had a French government in exile in England and that the allies were there to fight for the ulitimate liberation of France.

This was a time a "honorable" country would have turned on their occupiers and thrown in with the invasion fleet. They could have assisted in paving the way to Europe but instead they shot at us. And then had the unmittigated nerve to demand Paris be liberated by French forces.

The French truly are REVOLTING people. And I mean the description and not that action.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:47:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Another entry in the "Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys" file:

Some folks talk about how the French were actually kicking butt in Vietnam for a while, before we got there, and this is partly true.

The only problem is that it was the French Foreign Legion who were kicking ass and taking names in what was then called French Indochina. And at the time, (the early 50's) the French Foreign Legion was about 85% former [b]Waffen SS[/b]. This fact got some press attention and the French politicians pulled them out and sent in the French army proper. They promptly got surrounded and hammered at Dien Bien Phu.

Then they dropped their rifles and ran home, following that honored French tradition we all know so well.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Post from Jarhead_22 -
...and after Dugout Doug took off for more hospitable climes in Australia...
View Quote

and from LARRYG -
View Quote

I started another thread on 'Was Gen. MacArthur a Coward?' cause I wanted us to address this issue.

First, Pres. Roosevelt ordered him to Australia
and, as he later learned in Korea, the President is after all, the Commander in Chief.
MacArthur tendered his resignation of his commission to FDR, who refused it. MacArthur still had his commission in the Philippine Army and was prepared to fight on in that army!

Second, there was an honest to goodness threat of a Japanese invasion of Australia at the time (so much so that Australia recalled two of its divisions from Africa to deal with the threat) and Roosevelt wasn't about to have the most conspicuous and celebrated general in America's
arsenal publicly paraded in the streets of Tokyo, if he was captured!

Third, the US Congress bestowed the Medal of Honor on MacArthur in April, 1942, AFTER his departure from Corregidor. I doubt that Congress back in those days (it was still an honorable body back then) would have voted such a honor unanimously, if there were any question about the courage and devotion of the man.

Let me know if you think otherwise!

Eric The(Duty-Honor-Country)Hun[>]:)]

View Quote

Eric, I respectfully disagree on all counts.  MacArthur got the CMH for what???  His defense of the Phillipines was less than admirable and if all was lost, it would seem that he could have arranged some kind of escape for his men instead of abandoning them as he did.  I still look upon it as abandonment, regardless of orders.  Even some of his officers felt that he deserted them as did most of the men and those are the folks that should know.  He was a prima donna.  Patton was too, but he did not desert his men and he was usually in the thick of battle.

If you can show me a factual reference to him tendering his resignation and being to prepared to fight on as a Filipino officer, I may change my mind.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:14:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

If you can show me a factual reference to him tendering his resignation and being to prepared to fight on as a Filipino officer, I may change my mind.
View Quote

So what you are saying is MacArhturs PRESENCE ALONE would have made a difference???

You are asking him to renounce his U.S citizenship, forever lose contact with his falmily, and live abroad as a U.S. exile so he could what???? Make it 20,001 vs 20,000 Americans over there? (numbers used as an illustration only)

Boy, you're pretty rough on the old boy. 'Course, this demand you place on him will look more reasonable once I see you do it first.

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#19]
View Quote

[:D]

[img]http://www.classicfirearms.org/images/Chauchat.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

So what you are saying is MacArhturs PRESENCE ALONE would have made a difference???

You are asking him to renounce his U.S citizenship, forever lose contact with his falmily, and live abroad as a U.S. exile so he could what???? Make it 20,001 vs 20,000 Americans over there? (numbers used as an illustration only)

Boy, you're pretty rough on the old boy. 'Course, this demand you place on him will look more reasonable once I see you do it first.

View Quote

I am not asking him to do anything.  It was presented that he proposed this very thing himself.  I would like a link to something historical pointing this out.  I served my country for 4 years, so I think I have the right to express my disdain for him.  An officer's place is supposed to be with his men, the one's that actually do the fighting.

It has been stated that he was NEEDED in Australia.  What's the difference in one man making a difference in Australia or in the Phillipines?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:51:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I am not asking him to do anything.  It was presented that he proposed this very thing himself.  I would like a link to something historical pointing this out.  I served my country for 4 years, so I think I have the right to express my disdain for him.  An officer's place is supposed to be with his men, the one's that actually do the fighting.
View Quote

I can respect your service of our country. And FWIW, your right to express your disdain exists irrespective of your service.

In your military service, did you ever have a command position?? If so, would you have gone WHEREVER your commanding officer told you to go???? Don't insult yourself by answering anything other than "Yes, absolutely."

In order to become a Philipino officer, he would indeed have had to do exactly what I described above. In order for him to be justified in your mind, he would have had to become a Philipino officer. So, in effect, you ARE asking him to do those things.

Quoted:
It has been stated that he was NEEDED in Australia.  What's the difference in one man making a difference in Australia or in the Phillipines?
View Quote

The point you are missing is that he was being demoted FOR POLITICAL REASONS. My estimation was that his intense hatred of Communists was making it difficult for FDR to kiss Stalin's posterior. Solution? Demote MacArthur to Australia. He didn't desert his men. He was TAKEN from them by a political hack.

And from where I'm sitting, its fairly obvious your disdain, while merited, is misplaced. It belongs on his commanding officer.

Geez, look at MacArthurs WHOLE career. He was NOT a turn and run kinda guy. And he didn't do it in the Philippines.

I find it interesting that many military types here expect MacArthur to do something THEY NEVER WOULD HAVE EVEN THOUGHT OF DOING during their hitches.

My suspicion?? Public school textbooks, written by marxist sympathizers, have  skewed this part of American history.

Larry, you are a victim, now victimizing Doug MacArthur. And I don't blame you. I blame those #&*@ public schools. As my mother would describe them, "from the pit of hell."

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:53:30 AM EDT
[#22]
what about Lafayette, didn't the French bail us out during the American Revolution?  I'm spotty on this, I could be wrong.

Nice pic of the "Chauchat"--the single shot (maybe) machine gun.  That thing got more Americans and French killed than it did the enemy!  It could be the single worst firearm in history.

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

[:D]

[img]http://www.classicfirearms.org/images/Chauchat.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Oh man, I hadn't even considered that! Some frickin' Pierre should stand trial as a war criminal for that abortion on wheels! The Chauchats were made in a third rate French bicycle factory, and it showed. I mean, just look at that wide open magazine! Ohhhh...what a piece of crap!

And don't forget the famous Marine Corps quote, [b]"Retreat Hell! We just got here!"[/b]
That line was spoken by a Marine officer on his way past retreating French soldiers while the Marine Brigade advanced on Belleau Wood. This is where the Marines would earn the name "Teufelhunden" or Devil Dogs, called this by their vanquished foe, the crack 10th Kaiser's Guards.

[size=5][b]OOOOOOOOOHRAAAAHHHHHH!![/b][/size=5]

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
[img]http://www.inetnow.net/~kudzukid/enlemblem.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:08:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
what about Lafayette, didn't the French bail us out during the American Revolution?  I'm spotty on this, I could be wrong.
View Quote

They helped us ONCE over 200 years ago, it wasn't all that much help, and it was simply because of their dislike for the British and no other reason.  How many times have we pulled their fannies out of the fire only to be scorned by them?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#25]
"of course they are...they don't bathe regularly..."

can't remember the movie...

More info on the marine 'devil-dog' story please!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 1:04:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Q: Why are there so many trees on the Champs Elysees?

A: So the Germans can march in the shade.

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 2:28:57 PM EDT
[#27]
• 40% of French men, and 25% of women, do not change their underwear daily.
View Quote

Well, as far as the women go anyway, yummm!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top