Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/30/2001 9:25:29 PM EDT
My friend knows someone who was stationed on an aircraft carrier. They woke up one morning to find a soda can labeled "this is a bomb" on the auxillirary bridge. Apparently, a SEAL team had rowed up next to the ship, climbed up the anchor chain, snuck onboard, planted the 'bomb' and got off without being noticed.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:27:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That was a good first post.  I would think the Captain of that ship would have some security concerns to address.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:27:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Spooky.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Was your friend stationed on the USS Cole? Just curious...

Smalls
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:45:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not sure...  Like I said...  he's not my friend...  My friend knows him...  He mentioned it to me today while we were arguing Navy SEALS vs. Marines.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:47:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Whoever was pro SEAL was right.
What's to argue?
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:47:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool man.
[(:|)]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Ya know, I wanted to be a SEAL when Iwas 18. Kinda wish I had joined up, but then I wouldn't have my wife and daughter. Double edged sword, I guess.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:18:06 PM EDT
[#8]
My friend was pro-SEAL...  I'm a hardcore Marine guy.  If I was an American, I would of been at the nearsest USMC Recruiting Office the day I was old enough to enlist...

[b][i]Semper Fidelis![/i][/b] - [b]Always Faithful![/b]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:18:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Was your friend stationed on the USS Cole? Just curious...

Smalls
Semper Fi
View Quote

The Cole is a DDG not a CVA.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:01:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Just my 2 cents... Being a former Marine, that's where my heart will always be.  No finer fighting force out there.  However, I do some periodic training with some of the Seal teams in my current job and I have the utmost respect for them.  As far as CQB goes, the seals win the arguement hands down.

Kiwi
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:12:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Recon!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:15:24 AM EDT
[#13]
...but you take a good Marine rifle Company, with all the fixin's, and put it against an equal number of SEALs , you'd have a good fight on you hands. My money would be on the Marines.
SEALs in Panama tried to act like a rifle platoon, and it didn't work out too well...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:22:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Was the ship underway or docked?  That would make a huge difference in difficulity.

Btw,  are their guards while the carrier is underway, or is it just the normal watch?

It could have also been a practical joke by anyone onboard ship.

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:23:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Perfect example of "apples and oranges".

Different missions, different methods, different training, different tools and COMPLETELY different structure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:25:07 AM EDT
[#16]
The SEALs have also been known to be found eating all the food in the Officer's mess in full combat gear when the skipper arrives for breakfast.  Of course, the carrier didnt leave port with SEALs on board...

Kharn
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:25:18 AM EDT
[#17]
They climbed up the anchor chain 7, which to me means it was at rest.

Wouldn't it have been a kick if they switched on the anchor whinch while they were climbing it?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:25:42 AM EDT
[#18]
My friend knows someone who was stationed on an aircraft carrier. They woke up one morning to find a soda can labeled "this is a bomb" on the auxillirary bridge. Apparently, a SEAL team had rowed up next to the ship, climbed up the anchor chain, snuck onboard, planted the 'bomb' and got off without being noticed.
View Quote

Or else some E-2 from the galley put it there as a prank.  [;D]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:29:17 AM EDT
[#19]
Maybe the SEALs paid some E-2 swabby 5 bucks to deliver the can. Easier than climbing an anchor chain.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:31:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Thats using their heads...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:33:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Then when the SEALs returned to their base, there was a can on the CO's desk labeled, "This is an airstrike".  [xx(]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:44:41 AM EDT
[#22]
I just KNOW that the SEAL in question was DThor !

NOT !    He is a wannabe...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:02:04 AM EDT
[#23]
"I just KNOW that the SEAL in question was DThor !

NOT ! He is a wannabe..."

heheheh! seems the entire internet has heard those tales!!!

Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:42:53 AM EDT
[#24]
I have had the privelige to work with both SEAL team personnel and USMC FR.  They both have a mutual respect for each other, and most of their unarmed combat training consisted of fights with each  other.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:52:05 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:59:38 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:14:47 AM EDT
[#27]
It scares me what those SEALS can do...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:22:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:39:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:05:22 AM EDT
[#30]
This was probably really a mall ninja who really thought by labelling the can bomb it would actually blow up.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 11:16:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This was probably really a mall ninja who really thought by labelling the can bomb it would actually blow up.
View Quote

You mean it won't?!?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Sounds like your typical Red Cell and Marchinko stuff.  There job is to cause havoc and test security measures. Keeps people on their toes and pisses off a lot of brass.  My buddies from Team Six could board a ship underway at 20+ knots.  They had these speed boats with long hooks and would climb aboard.  Or they would fly in a black hawk at water level straight towards the ship.  It would pull up at the last minute and the SEALS would slide down ropes. But a carrier has 5000+ men and at least a platoon of marines for security. Even if they got on board, they wouldn't have a chance if they were discovered.  But its not their job to fight regular battles against large formations. By their nature they are irregular warriors.  They hit and leave. Rangers should have taked the airport in Panama.  They are trained for it and have enough numbers to have done it right. Same thing with the Delta guys.  But one thing is for sure, dont mess with them, talk about bad asses.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Read Red Cell by Marchinko and boy do you really get a feeling for how crummy Naval/Military security in this country really is.  Man they entered nuclear submarines, accessed nuclear weapons, the whole nine yards.  It looks like a skilled terrorist team could "acquire" ANY US military target/assets that their little hears desired.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:09:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Then when the SEALs returned to their base, there was a can on the CO's desk labeled, "This is an airstrike".  [xx(]
View Quote

hahahahahahhahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:13:53 PM EDT
[#35]
Did some work with Seal Team 2 a couple of years ago. They are no doubt badass.

But trying to compare them to Marines IS apples and oranges.

Aviator  [img]www.dredgeearthfirst.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 9:24:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 10:59:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
A Black Hawk is a huge radar target compared to a sea skimming surface to surface missile. The TAS radar would pick them up at over 30 miles from it's height.
View Quote

Yes, but suppose not-so-calm seas.  Would that change anything?  Our FC had trouble with 'grass', but I don't know your radar.

[red][size=4]PRK[/red][/size=4]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 3:16:05 AM EDT
[#38]
We used to run around with a red magic marker and write all over people that fell asleep on guard duty. On there forehead right IM DEAD. Or just put a big fat red line across there neck. This way, everyone knew that he fell asleep and whoever got him, could have got everyone else.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 5:53:37 AM EDT
[#39]
Maybe if the SEALS had practiced on the Cole, they might not have a huge hole in their side.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Obviously, they would not use a BlackHawk to assault a carrier.  They use them for hostage type situations on moving ships, and usually not capital warships.  More tankers, freighters and cruise ships.  I just ahd afunny thought, remember the movie with Segal, I know bad example.  The SEALS tried to come aboard a battleship on a copter and were blown out of the sky.  If the ship had its anti-air up- and running, it wouldnt be that hard to knock a helo out of the air.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:34:02 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:27:54 AM EDT
[#42]
Ah...  I love sea stories...  That was almost as good as some of the ones I hear over at LA-ex.org

The place is for crew members on 688 Los Angeles class subs...

Go to [url]http://www.la-ex.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi[/url] and go into the Sea Stories forum...  It's downright hillarious...  Anything with "Freel" in the title is a guarenteed laugh.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 9:58:56 AM EDT
[#43]
OK, as long as we're telling stories, here's one from CVA 34, also known as USS Zippo, the Toasty "O", O-boat, etc.  I'd include the obligatory "this is no shit" intro, but it happens to be a true incident.

Some of the training exercises were long and boring, at least during those times when you're waiting for something to happen.  Well, we learned to lay in a few supplies at our GQ stations.  

The guys up in the forward MK37 fire control director (I was in the MK 56) had mixed up a large batch of Kool-Aid in a clear plastic bag.

After a couple of hours, they decided it wasn't really all that tasty, so they heaved it over the side when they thought nobody was looking. I forget what flavor/color it was.  Well I guess someone WAS looking, because the bridge called "Man Overboard", and we spent quite a bit of time looking for that sailor.

Hey, Paul - when did the Midway go back in the water?  Prior to our Westpac cruise of 67-68, it was just sitting there at Hunter's Point, and when we got back, it looked like no one had touched her.

[red]PRK[/red]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:10:40 AM EDT
[#44]
It scares me what those SEALS can do...
View Quote
 Scares me that claims fake ones make!

"I just KNOW that the SEAL in question was DThor !
View Quote
 Not sure I've ever read a post by him making the claim.  However I have heard David P. Thornton make that claim & others.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:19:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
That's a SEAL not to be messed with!

Aircraft carriers in the gulf don't stop at night and routinely cruise around at about 15 miles an hour (12 knots) as that keeps enough water moving past the rudders to maintain steerage. So figure that dude had to be rowing about 35 miles an hour to catch the carrier or at least have been the luckiest son-of-a-gun to have picked the spot in the sea that the ship was heading to.

We do stop once every 45 days or so to do a picnic but there would be a couple of thousand sets of eyes looking around the ship. There's not many places to hide on the sea - helo's intercept at 5 miles and beyond tiny fishing row boats. The anchorage point is never the same - figure having to seach the entire east coast of Florida to give you some scale.

The anchor chains don't hang down but are rather retracted inside the hause pipe and sit about 25 feet above the waterline, may be a bit more. The hause pipes are sealed with a bunch of 1 inch diameter bolts holding a steel storm plate down. When the ship is in port they don't drop anchors but rather tie the ship up using large line.

Aux con is located to the starboard (right) side of the bridge 9 flights of stairs above the hangerbay where there are a minimum of 6 people on watch while underway. Everyone (save the Captain and department heads) has to come to atttention and ask permission to enter the bridge while underway to get to aux con. The doors are about 1.5" thick, the glass is about an inch thick - built to withstand bomb blasts.

Secondary con is located in the nuclear reactor plant next to DC central which is manned 7x24 by a handful of watchstanders. No one comes into DCC without permission.

If the ship was giving tours while in port anybody can get though a coke can as the bomb sniffing dogs, hand searches and x-ray machines don't detect soda cans but rather explosives. When I have worked with the UDT or SEAL teams their bombs have been rather real looking with timers, wires and enough explosives (a teaspoon or so) to give the dogs a chance.

When I was in the gulf earlier this year we had enough boats in the water armed with .50's and SEALS that you couldn't get a fly though their screening. We had .30's set up on the brow, armed sentries, only crew members were allowed on or off the ship, all baggage was searched. There were dogs and pat downs. Of course our ship was recognized last year as having one of the finest programs in the fleet.

15 years ago I played with the SEAL team as they attacked service school command San Diego. Our snipers killed half the team as they cut though the perimeter wire after they faked a car accident on the road that ran along the fence. They got killed again by the same sniper team after they took the commanding officer hostage. She was real bitch but per the ref's the snipers took out every terrorist before they would have had the chance to do anything. They had foolishly all come out into the open rather than posting one or two behind.
View Quote

Thanks Paul! Now every raghead in the world will understand the security layers in the fleet. Don't you think this kind of info is need to know?
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:46:46 PM EDT
[#46]
This is my first post, but I guess you gotta' start somewhere.

...Since some are telling stories...I was at Ft. Irwin (NTC) in 1989 playing soldier against the OPFOR. It was a slow, lonely night sitting on a hill above our unit, pulling guard duty with NVG's and MILES gear. While passing the time, I discovered that if you tap the little "window" on the front of the MILES box attached to the front of your M-16, it activates the unit, thus emitting the little infra-red light that sets off another's MILES. I could see it with my NVG's. he he he.

By some miraculous turn of events, we were "attacked" that night by an apparently highly trained team of infiltrators. There were personnel with their MILES gear going off all over the place.  Funny, I was never hit. :)  
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#47]
What a dork.
Everything that Paul has said can be found out just by getting a tour of an Aircraft Carrier, something that is done in just about every port that an Aircraft Carrier pulls into.

It dosen't take a rokit sientest (you friggin moron) to know that a ship as big as an Aircraft Carrier (or a supertanker for that matter dork boy) needs to keep up some speed in the water in order for it to be able to manuver.

If you had clue one about how search engines work on the internet you would be able to find the on-line web sites of the local newspapers in the cities where Aircraft Carriers are home ported. In these newspapers they will tell you the location of the Aircraft Carrier on a day to day basis. In fact some second grade classes even plot the course of the Aircraft Carrier battle group using GPS and the information provided by the newspapers and the Aircraft Carriers home port Public Affairs Officer.

Get a life you three posting lowlife wonder.

Quoted:
Thanks Paul! Now every raghead in the world will understand the security layers in the fleet. Don't you think this kind of info is need to know?
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top