Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2001 7:58:06 PM EDT
I see someone else has got a thread started on prices.  I just got home from filling up.  Fuel prices had been falling nicely; diesel had been down to $1.29 a week and a half ago, I go tonight and it's $1.63!  Is it just because it's damn tradition I see no other reason.  
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:45:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It is around here.

Last friday I went to a city an hour away where I knew gas would be cheaper. It was $1.499 compared to $1.699. I did have other buisness, BTW. [;D]

When I got back after about 6 hrs. gas had jumped to $1.859!!! a$$hole$

Did I mention Sat. morning was the opening day for archery season? pricks

It happens every year.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:47:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I bet you'll pay it like I will.  Enough others will also to justify the temporary gouge.  Supply and demand, supply and demand.  Ah, capitalism at work.  
View Quote

Nope!

I walked to work and every where around town. The blessings of living in a small town.
Now gas has dropped to $1.78. [:D]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:59:09 PM EDT
[#4]
In L.A. Calif, gasoline has jumped $.09-.15/gal in about 5 days.  The cheapest is $1.50 reg unlead.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:12:42 PM EDT
[#5]
I bet those damned citgo idiots started that fire!

-Jared
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:04:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Just a bunch of price gouging bastards. What perfect timing for a refinery to go down. Just another way for the Oil companies to dig deeper into our wallets.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:19:59 AM EDT
[#7]
don't like the price?  Don't buy the product.

I have no problem with gas this cheap, head over to Europe or japan and try filling up, you are talking $6.00 a liter (Yup a liter friends).

Stop your whining and do something about it.

BTW, one of my cars has a 40 gallon fule tank, the other a 35, and my average fuel economy is 7mpg.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
The MFing oil companies know they have us by the short hairs.  Has nothing to do with supply and demand, just greed!  You want to travel, you have to pay the gouge.  They know it, we know it.  Their costs are the same but it is seen as a chance to screw people out of another $.30 per gallon on gas ALREADY IN THE TANKS AT THE LOWER PRICE!

Screw Europe and their assinine gas taxes!  Remember we fought a war a couple hundred years ago to get rid of these Aholes!  Pissy ass little countries you can ride a bicycle across.  They know that contolling public's mobility makes them sheep.

Fact is, the cause of the US economy taking a crap has been, and still is, too high energy costs.  When gas goes way too high, jet fuel prices are at near historic levels and home heating damn near requires a bank loan, people go into hoard mode in order to survive!  By far the best predictor of economic activity is gasoline costs.

You want to see a return to the great depression, let the EPA idiots phase out coal fired electic generation!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:45:15 AM EDT
[#9]
I don't think the Citgo refinery fire has anything to do with it,there are 4 refinerys that I know, of in the northern part of Ohio, Besides, why does a refinery fire at a citgo refinery, make BP's prices go up, when they have they're own refinery in Toledo? Bend over and grab'em folks,one thing the oil companys have figured out is that they don't even need a good excuse any more to raise prices, and if nessary they will manfacture a shortage,it's all about gouging!
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:19:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Stop your whining and do something about it.

View Quote

We did during Operation DESERT STORM. Took back Kuwait. Were we screwed up was WE SHOULDA KEPT THE LITTLE PI*S ANT REPUBLIC FOR OURSELVES! I like gasoline.. yum yum...
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:32:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Here in Oklahoma, a state that is a pretty hefty oil producing state, gas prices were (as of Monday this week) the highest in the nation! I can hardly afford to drive anywhere! $1.70 for regular unleaded.. What a rip-off!

Ian
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:40:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Maybe "W" needs to have another talk with the boys?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:47:39 AM EDT
[#13]
, either you are for capitilism or you against it.

All you mouth-breathers bitch about a company making a profit, then you turn around and bitch when your stocks are tanking.  Heres a hint, buy some oil company stocks.

Geez, do people need to remind you people to exhale also?
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 4:57:08 PM EDT
[#14]
$1.79 up .45 in three weeks here in SD.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Buy a motorcycle, 40-50 mpg on Harleys, 5 gallon tank.  It doesnt seem so bad when its $8 to fill up!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#16]
What happened is earlier in the year when gas prices were higher a lot of refined gas was being imported to the USA.  So some refiners decided to shut down their plants and get maintenance done while the prices were depressed by foreign gas.  Enough of them did it that prices are up again, and hopefully more foreign gas will be imported.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm surprised nobody from Washington has posted yet.

Last night on the news, it was reported that the refinery at Anacortes has shut down for "urgent maintenance", and so the gas stations that it supplied are going to be given only 75% of their normal gas allotments.  One station owner was interviewed, and said he would have to raise prices to make up for the lower amount of gas he had available to sell.

I don't blame the station owner;  he has to stay profitable, and if he's selling 25% less gas, he has to raise his prices enough to make 33% more profit per gallon just to stay even.  But I'll betcha the refinery pulled this crap the night before Labor Day weekend just to drive the prices higher -- with all of their workers on vacation, I'll betcha they get a hell of a lot of "repairs" done over the next few days. . . .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top