Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2001 6:39:17 PM EDT
So these guys are doing a story about college kids turning 21 and then getting wasted enough that they die from the alchohol. Then they try to go interview the manager of a bar that was serving girls who were already intoxicated. As if they are supposed to say, "Sorry, you're already drunk, you'll have to go home now".

Liberals in action. Always trying to pass a law to make the world perfectly safe. These guys aren't gonna be happy till we all have Nerf* arms and can't even hit each other.

* Nerf is a registered trademark of the Hasbro Corporation.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:57:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Actually, the laws that forbid bartenders from serving individuals who are already drunk were written by conservatives who wanted to protect us all from the evil influence of alcohol.  The laws in VA have been on th books for over 60 years.  We also have the 2 'o clock rule.  The servers in a bar go around and collect all the alcohol because it is illegal to have a drink in your hand after 2 am.

Do you think it ethical to serve somebody who is already inebriated?  Somebody who is already drunk really doesn't need more booze.  I speaketh from vast experience.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:00:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay, I gotta weigh in here.

I graduated from college in 05/2001.  I went to what could be described as a "party school."

Drinking?  Oh, brother.  Lots of it and all over the place.  The parties start on Thursday night.  21 shots for your 21st birthday was par for the course.  Drinking on St. Patty's day began at 12:01am and went to 11:59pm; people would drink, puke/pass out, be put on a pool table, left to sleep, and when they'd wake up they'd begin the process again.  The Sunday afternoon of homecoming weekend you could look out your window and see friends carrying folks home...  (Now, this was from Thursday, Friday, Saturday, AND Sunday morning drinking.)

Drinking games?  Sexual escapades?  Public urination?  Drunk and disorderly?

Yeah, so what else is new?

Every year the networks beat on the drinking drum.  So what?  These are probably the same people responsible for the hedonism of the 1960's that CREATED some of the heavy drinking and 'traditions' that we suffer with today.  

It bothers me that this is even considered newsworthy.  College students drinking and being stupid...  Gee, is there nothing going on that they'd have to report on this?

D*mn do-gooders.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Is is newsworthy??? Hey, every time some momma's little baby dies from doing something stupid then we end up with some woman making it her life's mission to stop something by taking one of our freedoms away from us. Everybody gets all teary eyed and then passes a law to make themselves feel better. And the press is there just eating it up. What a bunch of idiots.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:30:05 PM EDT
[#4]
We need to repeal these alcohol laws. If kids would be taught how to drink responsibly, and would be able to drink at 18, it would be much better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:35:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We need to repeal these alcohol laws. If kids would be taught how to drink responsibly, and would be able to drink at 18, it would be much better.
View Quote

I agree, when the drinking age was 18 you didnt have all this bullshit we do now.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
In Chile there aren't any drinking laws.  A five year old can go in a store and walk out with a bottle of brand wine.  Of course teens still party.  But thats to be expected.  Chilean familys drink brandy-wine for dinner.

Smalls
Semper Fi
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I guess the local news did a story on it too. I never watch local news but my friend is on ICQ and he says the closeup of a girl drinking, showed her drinking non-alcoholic oduals
what a bunch of morons
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top