Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 7:46:52 PM EDT
Damn, what a wild spectrum of emotions speeding through my mind and body right now. I just signed away the next 30 years of my life tonight!

The little lady and I have been looking for a residence to buy for a little while, and found a beautiful new community nearby. We got the last lot available, and it's oversized and on a cul-de-sac.

4 bedroom, 2.5 bath, 3 car garage, big back yard. An awesome builder, in a great part of town.
It'll be such a cool thing, watching the land go from being empty to having a house we chose completed on it!

It should be finished in about 8 months.

I literally just got home from signing paperwork and forking over a big chunk of money. I'm gonna go take some aspirin and eat something...

[:)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#2]
CONGRADULATIONS!

I signed my name more times too at closing than when I went to boot camp.

It is a wonderful feeling - YOUR own house.  I like to go outside and look at MY trees, MY house through the trees, and work in MY garage.

BTW, if you haven't had to pay property taxes before, it will make you an instant Republican if you wern't already.  I am a bricks-and-mortar voter.  

It reallly burns me to see the school district float a bond proposal, and then include the BS item in the budget if the bond doesn't pass.  The F****** B******s!  Too bad the school district eats up 95% of the borough's taxes.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Congratulations!
Yes, it seems like such a long road that 30yrs. Because it is. About half of your total life on this planet.
I was fortunate to convert my 30yr loan to a 15yr just two years later. If you can afford to do it at some point, I urge you to do so.
Now I'm down to just 5yrs. Oh man I'm getting close. Time for me to make plans for all that money I'll be saving. If I'm lucky the real estate market will be depressed thus allowing me to sign for another 15yr mortgage on a vacation/retirement home. If I'm lucky. Uh, I forgot one thing, that's just when my son will be starting college. Damn! His tuition will probably be as costly as my house.
Frig that, I'll make him start working now.
Do you know if It's against the law for 12yr olds to work?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:49:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, but will it have the burning backpack feature?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Ya got to do it! You can pay someones elses house payment for them or pay for your own. The buyers remorse will go away soon and you will be more than confortable with it.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:14:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:30:58 AM EDT
[#8]
congrats, TREETOP

You will like living on a cul-de-sac.  I bought my first home last year on a small street that ends in a cul-de-sac.  Low traffic, good place for my son to play - I like it a lot.

Tate
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 9:30:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Congrats Treetop
Me and my little lady are still trying to get out of Ventura.....hopefully to Arizona or Idaho.
Glad to hear it's working out for you. :)
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:51:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:01:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Congrats on new home ownership!! It is the best to build it the way you want it. Sometimes you may have to build a couple houses to get it right though!!

[beer]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Treetop,

Congratulations.  Take a deep breath, and relax.  No way so many people would do it if it REALLY meant a 30 year commitment.  What it means is, after 30 years, if you don't move or refinance, you will own the house.  No one lives anywhere that long anymore so forget that.  It DOES mean immidiate tax benefits and the start of personal home equity.

I second the motion for a housewarming party.  Ummm, would large pets be allowed?? [smash]

James
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:41:53 PM EDT
[#13]
TREETOP

You didn't state exactly what part of Town.

Sooooo, I'm hoping it's not in Tempe or at the very least in line of the Sky Harbor runway. It's not Bill Bidwell's property is it ??? [;D]

But on the serious side...Congrats...[beer]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
New Neighborhood:
Sounds like someone's moving to Anthem,,,,,,

So, when is the first "Couch Potato Party", and you must always be prepared for "No Knock Hospitality Checks"

Jay
Arizona

"Life is hard:
It's harder if you're stupid"

Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:04:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Congrats, Treetop, and high fives all around. Pay for something that will be yours, instead of a landlord's.

Now... the big task: find out how many of your neighbors are pro-gun.

Wait- you live in AZ. Gee- I guess I asked a redundant question... :^)

Just remember Henry David Thoreau's take on home ownership, just to keep it all in perspective, should you ever feel you are not keeping up with the Joneses enough: he noticed his hard-working friends had all got houses, but eventually, he noticed that the houses had got them.... :^)

Unlax, pop open a cold one, and remember- 30 years goes by really fast- just ask any old person.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:28:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Thank you guys so much for the congratulations and the well wishes! I took some pictures today...

[edited to remove pics, for "privacy" reasons]

[:)]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:33:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Congrats TREETOP!

I'm still paying off my credit card from all the home depot purchases from buying my house three years ago. Ugh. Investment my ace.[rolleyes]  

Good luck and remember to pace yourself with the furniture and the yard. [:)]
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 10:45:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Treetop if you wanted an investment you should have put your money into transferable machine guns. Rented for 10 yrs. Sold the guns and paid cash for a house.

Ok of course that is not realistic cause you need a place to live and someone to live with neither of which you would have if you followed the above advice no matter how sound.

What I will seriously reccomend is you goto 3 car garage. Otherwise you will end up with 45,000 worth of vehicle parked outside cause you got $500 worth of junk blocking the garage.

Second. In your basement, You are wise enough to have a basement?  They will pour footings/support for your front porch/stoop. So why not just have them put down full walls and block it in with the proper sized opening for a Gun Safe door.  This usually give about a 6X12 room to store everything safely away. Other wise the area under the front porch is all wasted footings.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 11:02:32 PM EDT
[#19]
David, it's going to have a 2-car garage, and a separate single-car garage on the opposite side. the single-car one is for my workshop, and for motorcycle parking or whatever.

I looked into getting a basement built, but it's $67,000 additional. ouch.
Link Posted: 9/2/2001 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#20]
David,

In AZ it is unusual to have a basement in the new houses.  Almost all are on slabs.  But it would be cool to have.

Treetop,

Nice photos.  Looks like it will be a nice house.  It looks like a development in the northern end of town.   Maybe off of Tatum or ???  Hard to tell.  Truth is, from those photos it could be any of dozens of developments.  Damn these builders are busy.  

We AZers need to set up another shoot.  Even if it is at  Ben Avery.  At least we get to see/shoot other toys.

James
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top