Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 5:27:33 PM EDT
I am going to pick up a bolt action .22 so I can knock down a few squirrels while scouting for deer. I plan on using sub-sonic ammo like green tag or CB longs so I don't make too much noise.

I own a Ruger 10/22, but the CB longs don't cycle the action. The green tags will cycle the 10/22 action, so I guess that means I really just want to buy another gun. And a bolt action .22 sounds like fun.

I'm looking for comments on brand/model, accuracy, reliability, barrel type (standard?, bull?, stainless) and overall value. I'd like to stay under $250 for just the gun. Thanks for your comments.

Theo
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:32:54 PM EDT
[#1]
[url]http://www.aguilaammo.com/firearms/poseidon_jw22.htm[/url]

[img]http://www.aguilaammo.com/images/poseidon_jw22.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:35:25 PM EDT
[#2]

The way you worded your thread topic had me a little worried there for a minute.

To think, until now I thought all squirrels were subsonic.  Please don't tell me that there exists a supersonic squirrel as well!  By god the VarmintCong would no doubt be coming for me soon if they have developed supersonic capability.

As for bolt actions, I've got a Marlin 871 tube feed that does me fine.   When I load it up with CB Shorts I can hold around 22-24 shots as opposed to 17-18 shots of LR, the thing feeds pretty well with shorts and longs.   Accuracy wise I manage to regularly push it out to around 40 yards with CB shorts and out to around 75 yards with regular long rifle rounds like the Winchester Power Points.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:28:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:52:13 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 77/22 stainless/all weather with an AWC Archangel III muzzle suppressor.  It groups 10 shots under a dime at 50 yards with RWS or Eley subsonic ammo, and it is quieter than an airgun...except for the impact, that is.  I popped a wild cat with one of those 60gr Aguila Sniper Subsonic rounds a few weeks ago - sounded like someone throwing two pounds of hamburger into a brick wall.

QS
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:38:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I have a Marlin 882SQ, which is a bull berrel .22.  It was right around $200 when I bought it last year, with eley brown, and RWS target, I have sot some wery impresive groups with it ( well under the size of a dime @ 50 yards) I mounted a 6-18 x 50MM Bushnell on it, and had the trigger done, its about 2 1/2 pounds now.  I shot some CB shorts out of it, I think it is quieter then a BB gun.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:50:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:03:43 AM EDT
[#8]
I know you said bolt action, But I've been shooting squirels and pidgeons with my marlin model 39a, and sub sonic ammo.  It rocks.

-CK
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 10:04:20 AM EDT
[#9]
You ever think of one of those Romanian Trainers? Bolt action 5 shot detachable mag, supposed to be a great little gun. One can be had for about 40 bucks!

-Jared
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top