Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2001 9:25:38 AM EDT
Rogue Spear to Train U.S. Soldiers New!

Ubi Soft sent word that they have licensed the Rogue Spear military shooter engine to be used to train U.S. soldiers in small unit decision making skills (as opposed to weapons use). I found this interesting. Here's the meat of the press release:
SAN FRANCISCO, CA August 29, 2001 Ubi Soft Entertainment has agreed to allow LB & B Associates Inc. to adopt the game engine used in the best-selling Red Storm game Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six Rogue Spear™, to help train U.S. soldiers. The game engine will enable the Department of Defense army to train military personnel soldiers in how to conduct military operations in urban terrain. The engine, which was developed in Red Storm Entertainment’s North Carolina studio, will not be used for weapons training. Instead the government wants to use the high-tech system to help hone decision-making skills at the small-unit level.

“We’ve looked at all of the first person shooters on the market, and no game engine comes close to the realism of Tom Clancy’s Rogue Spear,” said Michael S. Bradshaw, Systems Division General Manager of LB & B Associates Inc.. “We need to train the elements of the small-unit on how to prepare for a mission, how to work as a team during mission execution, and how to conduct after action debriefs, and this engine will let us do that and more.”
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:27:29 AM EDT
[#1]
It's a great game, and I enjoy playing it, but honestly, I weep for the future.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:42:08 AM EDT
[#2]
They are licensing the engine.  Squad leaders will not sit around playing RS all day.  It's the AI and the process in the game that is of use for training.  By the time they get through modifying it, it won't be a video game per say anymore.  Not really any different than a helo simulator in concept.  And it won't replace field exercises, just augment.

Hey, Red Storm Entertainment already did the leg work, why not apply it to something?

-SARguy
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:51:29 AM EDT
[#3]
I suppose....

All I know is everytime I stick my head over a wall or around a corner in Sarejevo, I hear a crack and after that all I see is the ground and growing pool of red.

That's a good thing to learn.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:01:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Rogue Spear is a very realistic game and about time it get the recognition it deserves. There is not second chances. One mistake and you down for the count...
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:21:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The USMNCOM( United States Mall Ninja Command) has been already testing the Rogue Spear for some time now. See picture for further details.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/pE/xh/Q5/DA92526.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Dolomite,

You don't like the Kosovo map? You've got to get the weapons mod that gives you the HK CAWS with the HE rounds. Not realistic but good for cheap thrills.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The USMJCOM( United States Mall Ninja Command) has been already testing the Rogue Spear for some time now. See picture for further details.

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/001/pE/xh/Q5/DA92526.jpg[/img]
View Quote

Hey Tuuka can you give us the inside scoop?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:52:46 AM EDT
[#8]
If this is truly the case, the game will be banned for use in kalifornia as paramilitary training is illegal in that state. Anyone caught playing the game will be charged with a felony.

Have a good day.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, the USMNCOM structure is TOP SECRET and it is speculated that it includes 5 MN groups, located at the largest malls across the United States. Selection for duty in a MN group is held two times a year. The exact composition of the selection process is unknown.

Duties for the USMNCOM include:
Prepare assigned forces to carry out special  mall operations, psychological operations, and civil affairs missions as required and, if directed by the President or Secretary of Defense, plan for and conduct special mall operations.

Develop doctrine, tactics, techniques and procedures for special mall operations forces.
Conduct specialized courses of Instruction for all special mall operations forces.
Train assigned forces and ensure inter-operability of equipment and forces.
Monitor the preparedness of special mall operations forces assigned to other unified commands.
Develop and acquire unique special mall operations forces equipment, material, supplies and services.
Consolidate and submit program and budget proposals for Major Force Program 1 1.
Monitor the promotions, assignments, retention, timing and professional development of all special operations form personnel.

The Rogue Spear was selected because it had several urban/indoor type maps already and modifications to add mall maps were very easy to accomplish. Seen in the picture is the number 1 instructor in the USMJCOM( his face as well as other shooters was added to the mod, his identity is not known publically, some rumours speculate that we likes to wear black and has multiple female aides at his side. Some sources indicate that he has been spotted at numerous locations across the world during CMIT(Counter Mall-Insurgency Training) for foreign troops, most recent ones include Israel, Kosovo, Thunder Ranch and womens gymnastic championships (WTF?)
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:33:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Dangit Tuukka -

FIRST we have to let the D out of the bag, NOW you let out the REAL secret!

LMAO, bro

-SARguy
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 12:58:02 AM EDT
[#11]
The Ds and some of their selection and training has been told in several books and publications. But the MN operators are still a mystery

Forgot this, the top operator pictured above, some reports indicate he likes to cross dress sometimes.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 1:39:26 PM EDT
[#12]
[b]NEWS FLASH[/b]

The operator discussed earlier reportedly has been seen in [b]"undercover"[/b] operations

[img]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/034/XF/ZH/1P/DD80025.jpg[/img]

Some sources suggest he might be posting on a web board at [url]www.ar15.com[/url] under the alias of NSFJOJO.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#13]
You guys are mad.

Love ya.
Be safe.
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 8:18:51 AM EDT
[#14]
^bump^
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top