Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/29/2001 8:15:04 AM EDT
Kentucky legislators quickly closed that so called loophole after concealed carry was approved here. Any CCW permit issued after 1998 does not permit purchase without NICS. Curious about other states.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:30:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Here in North Carolina any holder of a NC CHP can purchase any long gun without the NICS check.  You still need a permit to purchase a handgun.

David
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:41:43 AM EDT
[#2]
In Nevada, we get to buy handguns and long guns  with a flash of the CCW. Fill out the Federal paperwork and pay your $$$ and bye bye!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:48:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Texas as well....No NICS for CHL holders.

Michael
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Ditto in Texas, show CCW, fill out FED form & go, any firearm.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:50:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
That brings up another question. My wife and I had to sit through an 8 hour class, pass a written test, pass a shooting test, and be approved through an extensive background check before receiving a CCW permit. From visiting North Carolina I know our CCW permits are not honored there and the only difference I can see is NC requires fingerprinting. Indiana is less stringent for a permit. What about others?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:10:21 AM EDT
[#7]
The process for a CHL in Texas sounds pretty similar to that of Kentucky. Once I had my TX CHL, I got my Pennsylvania non-resident CHL completely through the mail. Try Lebanon County. Sheriff DeLeo is a gentleman and a RKBA supporter.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#8]
No permits issued after 11/30/98 will be qualified for an exemption of the NICS.  When they expire all will require check.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:27:40 AM EDT
[#9]
In Georgia, a carry license eliminates NICS on handgun or long gun purchase.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:30:45 AM EDT
[#10]
In South Carolina, you can buy a gun by simply providing a copy of your CCW.  The first time I saw someone do that, I was shocked.  The guy showed his original CCW ID card, then handed the dealer cash and a copy of his card and walked-out.  It took less than a minute.  Since then, I've been told that you still need to fill-out a 4473, but I've seen that step skipped twice now.  Of course, my purchase at the same dealer the next week didn't go as well.  NICS didn't approve my purchase, and I had to wait 4 days to pickup the rifle.  That day I decided to attempt to get a CCW.  I'm just a peon here.  I don't know anyone in power, so in my 5 months of trying, I haven't been granted a CCW by SLED (the state police) yet, but I'm still fighting, as documented in my recent rec.guns post.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:38:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Pennsylvania requires an NICS check with or without a CCW permit on any firearm be it a rifle or handgun.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#12]
CCW?  In Illinois we don't even know what its like to have a CCW!  Must be sweeeet.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
In Mass, you have to have a pistol permit to buy a handgun and a Firearms ID card to buy "non-high capacity" rifles and shotguns.  Until about two years ago, all you had to do was show either to buy an item.  Now, not only do you have to show the license, but NICS check is also done...have yet to see any really "instant" checks happen...
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:43:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Arizona doesn't need the NICS check for CCW holders.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:44:06 PM EDT
[#15]
In Arizona a CCW license eliminates the need for a NICS check.  One of the reasons I'll have mine as soon as I can schedule the damned class.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:46:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:51:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
In South Carolina, you can buy a gun by simply providing a copy of your CCW.  The first time I saw someone do that, I was shocked.  The guy showed his original CCW ID card, then handed the dealer cash and a copy of his card and walked-out.
View Quote

Federal law requires for the transfer of any weapon the completion of a 4473 period.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:23:26 PM EDT
[#18]
 I love the great state of Indiana ,
NO NICS with a CCW and plus We do not spring forward or fall back or whatever you other retards do to tell time  .
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I got a piece of paper with my NYstate pistol permit that exempts me from NICS for 5 years, not sure what will happen after that 5 years
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:53:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Here in UT, there is no NICS for CCW holders.  The dealer has to call in your permit to BCI(Bureau of Criminal Investigation) to verify the permit is still valid, but other than that(and that f*&$*#g 4473)....

Zane
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#21]
CCW holders in Arkansas are exempt from the NICS check as well, except for a few CCW's that were issued right at the first, can't remembeer what the exact dates were.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:13:45 PM EDT
[#22]
NY is exempt from NICS with a Pistol Permit.

Permenant Brady Permit Chart:
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/bradylaw/permit_chart.htm[/url]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:22:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quite a difference between states. I'm surprised it only costs $25 in Indiana. We had to pay $75 for the class/test and another $65 for a 5 year license.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:39:36 PM EDT
[#24]
In Iowa you need a permit to purchase a handgun.You get it from the sherrif after a week wait for $10 and it is good for 1 year. It will also exempt you from the NICS. I've purchased several guns over the past couple years. Go to the gun shop, fill out the yellow sheet, give them the money with copies of ID and purchase permit, and walk out the door with my new gun.
Steve

I believe CCW is the same. Too bad Iowa is not shall issue, In my county I'll probably never get one.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:03:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quite a difference between states. I'm surprised it only costs $25 in Indiana. We had to pay $75 for the class/test and another $65 for a 5 year license.
View Quote

[i]Ssssshhhhhhh! Don't say that too loud.[/i][;)]

BTW, did you know that we honor your KY CCW as valid here?
Indiana has reciprocity agreements with quite a few states (Any that are agreeable, that is).
Not many people seem to know about that. Everyone is going nuts wishing for national CCW reciprocity while more & more individual states are quietly doing it on their own.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 9:15:10 PM EDT
[#26]
We live on the Kentucky/Indiana border so I'm aware of the reciprocity agreement. My wife reminded me of something I had forgotten. She worked with an Indiana resident a few years ago who had her CCW permit and she claimed she had to register each handgun she might carry under the permit. Thankfully we don't have to do that here.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 7:16:14 AM EDT
[#27]
No check with an IDAHO CCW; handgun or other.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 8:51:40 AM EDT
[#28]
I believe in Michigan, now under our new CCW rules you don't need a permit to purchase.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 11:36:27 AM EDT
[#29]
We live on the Kentucky/Indiana border so I'm aware of the reciprocity agreement. My wife reminded me of something I had forgotten. She worked with an Indiana resident a few years ago who had her CCW permit and she claimed she had to register each handgun she might carry under the permit. Thankfully we don't have to do that here.
View Quote

grayroad, the lady was positively wrong. She probably believed that, but there's no way in hell she had to register any handgun. It happens anywhere - a newbie applicant shows up at the local LEA, & out of benign curiosity the CLEO asks to see the handgun (in the brand new pretty blue box), & trying not to chuckle asks "Is this the you're going to carry?"  Then for the next ten years the CCW holder thinks the cop meant "that's what they have to carry."

You wouldn't believe how many people show up with their new shiny pistols in a box (well, maybe you would - you've probably seen it happen too). A lot of police departments don't even like people to do the new box thing, & will send them out to put it in the car.

If you're reapplying for zillionth time, they take it for granted you're carrying, & they never ask (unless you're "printing" like an idiot, or wearing a tact-thigh holster). In thirty years I've never been asked, & never met anyone who has.
I'm sure there are CLEOs who have written a serial # down before, but I've never heard of it happening here (yet). Indiana couldn't care less if you have a different pistol for every day of the year.

Except for Indy, & especially Gary (who DO have their own "Chicago style" laws!), it's a very pro 2nd state.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#30]
thanks for the link

Quoted:
NY is exempt from NICS with a Pistol Permit.

Permenant Brady Permit Chart:
[url]http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/bradylaw/permit_chart.htm[/url]
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 2:48:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Pick up a handgun purchase permit at the local police station and then there's no NIC check in Michigan needed to purchase a long gun. GRP
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#32]
Only thing the CCW does for you in Florida is eliminate the 3 day wait for handguns.  Still need the NICS check.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top