Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2001 2:08:37 AM EDT
[url]http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/ap/20010828/us/rodney_king_arrest_1.html[/url]

Tuesday August 28 9:26 PM ET
Rodney King Arrested at Motel

CLAREMONT, Calif. (AP) - Rodney King, whose beating by police officers led to the 1992 Los Angeles riots, was arrested Tuesday for suspicion of being under the influence of the psychedelic drug PCP.

A motel clerk called police Tuesday morning saying a guest appeared to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, Claremont Police Lt. Gary Jenkins said.

``Through observations and a series of tests, the officers determined that King was possibly under the influence of PCP and was subsequently arrested without incident,'' Jenkins said.

King had told the motel clerk that his car had been stolen, but officers later determined King's girlfriend had taken the car to run an errand with King's knowledge.

King, 36, of Altadena, was examined at a hospital and booked for investigation of being under the influence of PCP, a misdemeanor. He was released on his own recognizance pending an Oct. 2 hearing. Claremont is about 40 miles east of Los Angeles.

The 1991 beating of King, who is black, by Los Angeles police officers was recorded on videotape and later broadcast. The city erupted in violence when the four white officers were acquitted of state charges in 1992. Two officers were later convicted in federal court of violating King's civil rights.

King won a $3.8 million settlement in a civil rights lawsuit against the city of Los Angeles.

During the past decade, King has had other run-ins with the law. He was convicted of drunken driving and of hit-and-run driving in a case involving his wife, and he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor spousal abuse.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:09:37 AM EDT
[#1]
I told you he was on PCP back in 1991.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:09:52 AM EDT
[#2]
He should be able to afford some pretty good shit.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:10:42 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Hopefully a good attorney.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:55:22 AM EDT
[#4]
What can you say...just another fucking lousy excuse for a human.  I wonder how much money he has blown on drugs.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:02:12 AM EDT
[#5]
At least he learned not to resist the Cops. [;)]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:16:22 AM EDT
[#6]
....Can't we all get along?.....
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:26:49 AM EDT
[#7]
How much of the 3.8 million do you think he has left?
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 4:34:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Poor Rodney, the worlds obviously out to get him. Maybe we could start a save Rodney fund? I'll kick in a buck.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:20:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Say what you want about poor old Rodney but there are two undeniable truths (in my mind)

1. The cops beating the hell outta him proves that we can't always trust them to be fair and follow the rules (i.e. we need to stay armed)

2. The riots started cause of the verdict proved that cops don't come and help you in some cases (i.e. we need to stay armed)

In all fairness, the riots were greatly caused by a preceeding event where an Asian store owner shot and killed a young black girl believed to be shoplifting (or something like that). The RK incident and subsequent trial just ignited the population.

Regardless of how horrible the whole thing was, it showed several of my anti-gun aquaintances the importance of having your own firepower. For the most part, the only Asian business that weren't destroyed were the ones with AR-15 packing Asian dudes standing out in front.

People owning guns saves lives!!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:27:40 AM EDT
[#10]

Regardless of how horrible the whole thing was, it showed several of my anti-gun aquaintances the importance of having your own firepower. For the most part, the only Asian business that weren't destroyed were the ones with AR-15 packing Asian dudes standing out in front.

People owning guns saves lives!!!
View Quote

Ditto here!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:36:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Say what you want about poor old Rodney but there are two undeniable truths (in my mind)

1. The cops beating the hell outta him proves that we can't always trust them to be fair and follow the rules (i.e. we need to stay armed)
View Quote

Since none of us saw the entire videotape of the incident, we can't really say what happened, can we? The media fed us all that 6 second clip of the worst part of the fight, because it put the LAPD in the worst light, and that is popular with the dregs that the news media panders to. King was out of his mind on PCP during that incident, and fought like a maniac against the officers after they attempted to restrain him, zapped him with a taser and pepper sprayed him. None of these had any effect and he just kept coming.

If you noticed, King had two male black passengers in his car, but neither one of them was touched. That's because they put their hands on their heads when they were ordered to do so, and were handcuffed without incident.

You can't trust [b]anyone[/b] to be fair and follow the rules all the time, but saying that the Rotten-y King incident proves this doesn't help your case if all the facts are reviewed.

2. The riots started cause of the verdict proved that cops don't come and help you in some cases (i.e. we need to stay armed)
View Quote

All LAPD officers were called in off of days off, vacation, sick time, etc. for the riots. They were ordered by their weak-assed management to sit and do nothing, with the hope that this would die out, rather than the perceived villains rolling out into the city and wading into the crowds of theives, murderers and arsonists. Regardless of these orders, many cops couldn't stand by and listen to the radio accounts of thievery, murder, assault and arson, and rolled out on their own hook, knowing there would be no back up if they got on the radio and called for help.

We should all be armed because it's our right, and the more good guys there are on the streets with guns, the safer we'll all be. Also, there just aren't enough cops in the world to ensure there will be one there when we need one. We all have the right and the responsibility to do the best we can to protect and defend ourselves.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 5:39:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I agree that the media was trying to manipulate public opinion in selectively showing a portion of video to achieve their agenda.I think the police should have shot Rodney King and then beaten that ass wipe shooting it on their camcorder.During the riots when all of those filthy maggots were burning stealing and looting I would have like to seen a crack Airborne unit parachute in and mow down every one of those scum sucking pukes.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:33:35 AM EDT
[#14]
You could argue till you were blue in the face about your interpretaton of the video tape. Well we all have what we believe to be the truth. I'm not going to argue with your opinion.  

As long as we can agree that this whole mess at least served as a good example of why we need guns. I know we have the right but at least this helps to answer the question from all those lefties about why we need them.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:46:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You could argue till you were blue in the face about your interpretaton of the video tape. Well we all have what we believe to be the truth. I'm not going to argue with your opinion.
View Quote

It's not an interpretation or an opinion . Have you seen the entire videotape, or are you basing your assumptions on the short excerpt that the news media thought we needed to see to make up our minds? You stated an opinion based on your interpretation of the motives and intentions of those cops. All I'm trying to tell you is that you're making a decision based on incomplete information. Take another look.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:06:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

and then he goes for the cheap@ss mind blowing PCP.  Maybe he should try Snow, K, or X

Party on Rodney [smoke][beer]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:24:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I think the police should have shot Rodney King and then beaten that ass wipe shooting it on their camcorder.
View Quote

You are fucked up in your head man, you just can't go around beating and shooting people.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:34:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I know people who think honestly believe he must have deserved the beating he got and *those* people only respect violence.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#19]
This thread justifies my great respect for beekeep and jarhead22.

They "get" it.

Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:54:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:06:50 AM EDT
[#21]
What a shame he didn't do the world a favor an OD. What a complete waste of Oxygen!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 8:08:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Dollars to doughnuts (no aspersions on LEOs here :^) ) RK's blown his taxpayer-financed load.

As for the Asian shopkeepers, and the law-abiding populace in general, now that new AKs, ARs etc. are illegal in PRKali, what then will people do to defend themselves, next time a race riot/general collapse occurs?

Dial 911? :^)

The rioters and gangs sure have enough firepower.

It's only a matter of time....
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:04:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Flattery will get you [b]everywhere[/b]. [;)]
View Quote

Wow, nice ass, Beekeeper! [:p]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 10:57:25 AM EDT
[#24]
I live in SouKal and saw the ENTIRE tape several times.

I will tell you that the excerpt shown to the rest of the country was "hand picked" to try to show the worst.

The entire tape shows an irrational and very large man who had just driven, drunk, at over 100mph trying to evade police, without any concern for me or my family, or anyone else on the road.

He is surrounded, ordered to comply, but refuses.

He is tasered to no apparent effect.

Cops jump on his back and he is basically berserker.

Even when he was on the ground, he was, THE ENTIRE TIME, trying to leave the scene, ie continuing his felony evasion, and resisting arrest.

The police are given the power to subdue suspects who will not yield to arrest, he resisted.  This is a common theme, inner city dwellers irrationally refuse to submit to custody over what they percieve to be a trivial matter, forcing the police's hand.

At no time during the tape did that animal submit.

As pointed out, 2 equally "black" passengers in the car were not touched because theyt complied with lawful instructions, there goes the racism claim.

POLICE ARE ALLOWED TO BEAT AND EVEN SHOOT PEOPLE.  Why do you think they are issued manadnocks????  Guns?  The question was NEVER did they beat him, as phrased by the media, it was "Did they reasonably use force?"  ie was it OK to beat him given his actions.

BTW, the female who almost shot him was a white, blonde CHP, Melanie something, who was ready to perscribe a .357 cure to his problem, she said she was going to shoot him.

Then she had the "morals" to testify against the LAPD officers, saying THEY acted unreasonably.

Tell you what, honey, if given the choice, I'll take the beating over the shooting any day, ok?

She was discredited after testifying "they hit him in the face and opened him from temple to chin."  She was shown several photos from all angles showing no facial cuts.

Given a chance to admit she was mistaken, she said " I know what I saw."

I think the point, honey, is you DON'T know what you saw.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:30:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Ahhhhh...
Rodney King, and the ensuing riots.

Nothing more than a sneak preview. I was praying OJ would have been convicted, not for justice, but because I would then have an excuse.

Yeah. The wee little Korean dudes on rooftops with SKS's mowing them down was fucking poetry.
Thing is, many of them got arrested afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:03:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
a turd... Is a Turd... IS A TURD.
View Quote

Especially the ones that you keep flushing and keep flushing....and they just won't go down.

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 3:23:09 AM EDT
[#29]
I hope someone gives him a good plumbing job in jail.

Damm repeat offenders.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 6:07:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think the police should have shot Rodney King and then beaten that ass wipe shooting it on their camcorder.
View Quote

You are fucked up in your head man, you just can't go around beating and shooting people.
View Quote

You fucking little Liberal sissy!That criminal deserved everything he got and should have been dealt with far more severely.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You fucking little Liberal sissy!That criminal deserved everything he got and should have been dealt with far more severely.
View Quote

Hey, you forgot the camera jerk.

I second the nomination to beat the camera snitches ass.

Let the LAPD dudes have a whack at him.

Oh, I just realized that you're the one who proposed a camera man ass kicking.

Good job MOLITAS.
Link Posted: 8/30/2001 5:37:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/31/2001 6:37:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Been there, we had an incident with a 140 lb criminal refusing to be placed in restraint. There were 7 or 8 of us. He was pushing up and trying to kick the Sergeant. I go about 290 with all my equipment on. I wound up on his back and he was doing pushups with me there trying to get up.
The administrations comment....'you had the biggest guy on him...that wasn't good' Hello!!!!!How many of them could do pushups with me on their back?
Oh and what is with pocession  of PCP being a misdemeanor? You go to jail for an AR15 though....
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 7:10:24 AM EDT
[#34]
During the past decade, King has had other run-ins with the law. He was convicted of drunken driving and of hit-and-run driving in a case involving his wife, and he pleaded guilty to misdemeanor spousal abuse.
View Quote

And "violating" his civil rights was wrong why????

Let's not forget the fact that we never were shown what happened BEFORE the camera was turned on, nor was king killed or shot. He was resisting arrest, and cops are given batons for a REASON. Did they go a little too far? Maybe, maybe not, none of us were there to make that determination, but if they wanted him dead or to really hurt him they would have just shot him in "self defense".

And his race as a whole....What kind of fu©ked up mentality is it to destroy your own neighborhood????

Come here, rodney, put your mouth on the curb...
Link Posted: 9/8/2001 9:53:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

And "violating" his civil rights was wrong why????

Let's not forget the fact that we never were shown what happened BEFORE the camera was turned on, nor was king killed or shot. He was resisting arrest, and cops are given batons for a REASON. Did they go a little too far? Maybe, maybe not, none of us were there to make that determination, but if they wanted him dead or to really hurt him they would have just shot him in "self defense".

And his race as a whole....What kind of fu©ked up mentality is it to destroy your own neighborhood????

Come here, rodney, put your mouth on the curb...
View Quote

Does anyone know if there was there any government assistance to help the shop owners rebuild?

Maybe that's the reasoning?  Nah, I doubt it could be planned like that.

I dunno.

Didn't Watts in LA get burned down back in the 60's?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top