Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/28/2001 8:34:32 PM EDT
I've got 5 gallons of sweet concord grape fermenting. It won't be ready until about the end of October(I should have at least one deer in the freezer by then) but it smells great already.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
The last boat on which I served in the NAV, we used to make that stuff all of the time. We'd dump an AFFF jug into the bilges and wash it out. Then we'd refill it with grape juice, yeast, and sugar pilfered from the officers' mess (by mess cranks from the pit) and let it ferment for a few days. I tried that crap with the rubber glove and waiting for it to deflate as a sign of completion. The result was some alcohol that tasted like pissy vinegar. The next few batches, we experimented with three, four, and five days (seems like five days worked okay for me), but it's all dependent on your temperature, humidity, etc. After I brewed up around 35 gallons, we had some asshole from Arkansas mess it all up for us (his name wasn't Bill Clinton either). This bonehead got drunk and went down to main control raising hell, like he was back in Little Rock or something. I got off watch and hauled ass back aft to our shop and chunked what remained over the fantail somewhere between Hawaii and San Franciso (I was a second class and there were first classes, chiefs, and even a master chief in on this, so it wasn't like it was a bunch of slacker junkies drinking the stuff). That last batch was my best; it tasted something like Cold Duck. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 9:28:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I should say, "We did it all of the time while we were on our underway periods of WESTPAC." I didn't mess with it in Subic and other places.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 9:29:27 PM EDT
[#3]
I've never made wine, but a make a couple of good beers.  My Porter and Hefe are very good.  Everything else I've made is pretty much slug bait.

Link Posted: 8/28/2001 10:34:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I've never made any myself, but in my area it seems like I'm the only one that has'nt. However I have drank my share of it though, grape, yea thats been done. Blackberry, yum. Strawberry, not bad. Pear, not to bad either.
The great thing about wine is you can make it out of anything. Canned fruit, watermelon rhine, and even dandilions(sp), I kid you not! Never be afraid to try new things.[uzi]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top