Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/28/2001 11:21:24 AM EDT
I know Oly does not rank up there with A, B and C, but just really wanted a pre-ban that I can build into a short, collapsible-stock carbine without spending a small fortune.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 11:22:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Hell yes it is a good price, but, with that insanely low pricetag,

[size=5]MAKE SURE IT REALLY IS A PRE-BAN![/size=5]
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 3:05:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Very good price, but like Landon said, make sure it really is a preban.

At the very least, check Olympics website for the serial number.

I was worried about the assembled before ban thing, and waited until I came across one that was from original owner, and got a letter stating so.

Anyway, good luck. Hope it's for real.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
According to Oly's website, it was manufactured in 1993.  As you may know more than I, Oly had a fire which destroyed a lot of their records.  With an Oly firearm, then can give me a date range only.  The ending date is in 1993.  Is that enough to say this is pre-ban?  Is it according to the manufacture date, or ship date?
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 7:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Have an acquaintance out west who has a NIB preban Bushmaster 11.5 barrel with 5.5 flashider and is asking 1000 for it. Think i am going to buy it at that price. The price for the Oly sounds great if it is in good condition and you can get a letter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I am dealing with an FFL dealer.  What are the obligations of a dealer to ensure he is actually selling a pre-ban?  I haven't gotten a reply from the dealer saying he will provide a letter.  If I can get a letter, is it really a letter from the FFL dealer, or from Oly.  Again, I don't think Oly has the records to show that it is a pre-ban, only a date range for the serial number for the fact that it was manufactured in 1993.  I guess I have no guarantee that it was built into a rifle and shipped before Sept 1994.

Please help... I don't want to pass up a good deal, but I also don't want to get stuck with a firearm that is not as claimed.

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:08:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Even if you get ripped off its still a good deal!!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 7:31:35 AM EDT
[#7]
Confederate - good point.  

I really appreciate the feedback, and all the knowledgable folks on this foru.

I spoke to Oly this morning and they confirmed they have no other information.  The good news about this is that they would have no other information for the BATF, if they ever had to ask.  Oly also told me that in 1993 (when the lower was manufactured), they rarely had any lowers sitting in inventory.  All were turned into weapons and shipped.  He doesn't think that this lower would ever be questioned by the BATF.  It is those lowers that were manufactured closer to the 9/94 date that will have more scrutiny.  I tend to agree with this.  I am feeling safe.

Your opinions?

Thanks....
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 11:57:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Most likely NOT a preban.  (ON EDIT...sorry, didn't read the part where you contacted Oly themselves).

A lot of people pay $780 for the NEW Olys fully assembled (they're idiots for doing so).

If it's truly preban, thats a good price...about $400 below market!
Link Posted: 8/29/2001 1:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]
The 2nd Article of the United States Constitution claims you are obliged to arm yourself.  Any bans against particular firearms are thus unconstitutional and frivilous in court.  You may own the Olympic Arms rifle at your own free will, based on the capitalist society we have set forth before us.

*Cough* Now that reality has set it, it's the best decision to call Olympic themselves.  Seeing as how you've done so, any legality issues would ultimately be brought forth before the manufacturer itself.  They would basically tell anybody else "as far as WE know, it was made during or before 1993...otherwise our records are inconclusive".  Last time I checked, "inconclusive evidence" meant you're off the hook.  Guess that's one perk of today's legal system.

[i][b]If the rifle was fitted, you must be acquitted![/b][/i]
[img]www.auburn.edu/~littlcb/new jew.jpg[/img]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top