Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/20/2006 12:00:56 PM EDT

Mayor John M.  Fabrizi a democrat gets busted for cocaine use and then shows how corrupt EVERY politician is.

I am so sick of politicians. Everyone of them should be kicked to the curb and then we could start over with a new, fresh crop of corrupt politicians.

And now the government is going to cover it up for him.

Go figure! Calling Marion Barry! Calling Marion Barry!

news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060616/ap_on_re_us/mayor_cocaine

U.S. prosecutors apologize to Conn. mayor By JOHN CHRISTOFFERSEN, Associated Press Writer
Fri Jun 16, 6:10 PM ET

Federal prosecutors inadvertently filed a court document saying the mayor of Connecticut's largest city had used cocaine, but after a newspaper reported it Friday, they took the unusual step of apologizing to the mayor and had the document sealed.

Bridgeport Mayor John Fabrizi, who took office after Joseph Ganim was convicted of corruption in 2003, declined to address the allegations in an interview Friday but said he had made "poor choices in the past."

"I'm not going to get into specifics," he said. "On a social basis, I made some poor decisions I can't make excuses for."

Fabrizi was named in a summary of an FBI interview with Juan Marrero, who faces cocaine trafficking charges. Marrero said an associate told him that he had a videotape of Fabrizi using cocaine, according to the Connecticut Post, which reviewed the document.

U.S. Attorney Kevin O'Connor said Friday that Fabrizi was not a target of the drug investigation. He said FBI reports, which summarize statements made by witnesses but are not always corroborated, are typically filed under seal.

"We made a mistake here and I apologize to the mayor and anybody else named there," O'Connor said in a telephone interview. "That information should not have come out in that form and that manner."

According to the Post, the summary quotes Marrero saying that Shawn Fardy, a Democratic Town Committee member charged last week with narcotics conspiracy, told him he had a video of Fabrizi using cocaine. Marrero also claimed that he once gave Fardy cocaine after Fardy told him "Fabrizi was coming over" and "needed a hit."

Marrero did not provide a date for the sale, but said he began selling cocaine to Fardy four or five years ago.

Fardy has pleaded not guilty. His lawyer, Francis O'Reilly, said people like Marrero who are facing long federal sentences "will say and do anything to reduce those prison terms."

Fabrizi, a Democrat, said he has no plans to resign. He was elected to a full term after Ganim stepped down and faces re-election next year.

Democratic State Sen. William Finch said Fabrizi needs to be more forthcoming with voters.

"Perhaps he can turn a negative into a positive," he said. "Maybe he can use this dark episode to work with the youth to try to get them to stay away from drugs."

___

Associated Press Writer Matt Apuzzo in New Haven contributed to this report.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top