Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2001 8:04:10 PM EDT
Yesterday my dog got jumped by 2 dogs (he was taking them too!) but the women folk were screaming so I made the mistake of getting involved.  During a lull in the action I got in between them and went to grab my dog (he didn't see me)- he wheeled around and sunk deep into the bottom side of my elbow.  He about shit when we made eye contact.  Now my arm looks like old hamburger - the brown dog has got a pretty good mouser on one eye but, I think we will make it.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:13:54 PM EDT
[#1]
When you say the brown dog has a pretty good mouser under his eye am I correctly reading that to mean you punched your dog after he bit you?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:31:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Lesson to you:

regardless of size of dogs involved, never, never get in the middle of a dog fight........understand?

We hade two dogs tie up once, a pit and a rotty, and regardless of how much I punched either dog there was no stopping them.

Mind you, I am 6' and weigh about 215 and was punching those animals hard enough that any man would have been knocked clean out.

You can not wrestle with pure muscle.

They finished the fight after the rotty decided he'd had enough.  The pit, his sister, was gonna kill him reagrdless so he gave in.

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:38:22 PM EDT
[#3]
i just got a golden retriver and do not want  to be on the bad side of those teeth. But then agian you dont have to worry about goldens biting. maybe licking you to death.

Stinger
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:04:42 PM EDT
[#4]
What X--kill said.

I have two pit-Labs, and they tangle once in awhile and you can't do much about it.  I can control one dog, but if you jump on one, you still have the other to deal with, and he keeps coming.  One time I got smart and tried pepper spray, there was a big white cloud and two fighting dogs in the middle of it and I had to run outta my own house.

I also tried breaking them up with a pistol-grip on the end of a garden hose, and I mean full-on and jammed into mouths, noses and ears.  *Still* the bastards remained focused on trying to kill each other.

Maybe an electric cattle prod?  Dog fights suck.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Yup.....  What they said.  My two Shepherd mixes got into several serious fights.  Twice I got involved, once my wife got involved.  Twice I got bit, once my wife got bit.  And just like stated above, after they bite, then look at what they bit, you can see the "What the frig did I just do?" look in their eyes.

They are separated now.  One went to live with family & the other is still with us.  The problem is that you love the damn things so much that you wind up getting involved even though it really is wrong & you know better.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:40:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Yeah. No shit.

Dogs are [b]ANIMALS![/b]

Would you get in the middle of 2 Badgers fighting?
How about 2 Wolves?
2 Bobcats?

The only reason humans are at the top of the food chain is because of our brains. Not our brawn. If humans had the minds of Animals, those dogs you were trying to physically manipulate would be hunting you for food.
And you want to jump in the middle of that?
ok.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#7]
My left wrist is an inch larger than my right, after being dragged ,on concrete, 20 feet with my weight and most of the weight of the two 125 pound Malamutes I dived between.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:51:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Best thing you do to break up a dog fight, is use something like a chair or large sheet of wood to get them separated.  But keep your body parts out of the way.  I have been bitten about 20 time and only one time while I time to break up a dog fight.

[red]Reddobie[/red]  
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 3:50:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Better take those rabbi shots...Just to be on the safe side.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 4:08:19 AM EDT
[#10]
"Now my arm looks like old hamburger"

Not to tell you your business, but get to the doc at once!  If you get a staff infection in the wound, it will be hell to pay.  Antibiotics, shots, the whole nine yards...[>(]

Go to the doc now.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I am glad that you were not too seriously injured, 1GUNRUNNER. You were sort of in a lose/lose situation, and you did what you could to help your dog - who would probably give his life for you.

Fights between dogs can be broken, but only if there are two humans who know how to do this sort of thing, and are equipped with "breaking sticks", a very solid piece of wood tapered at one end used to pry the dog's jaws apart (much like a crowbar). I have seen it done on several occasions during American Pit Bull Terrier matches (to prevent the dogs from killing each other).

Tyler

Link Posted: 8/28/2001 4:47:35 AM EDT
[#12]
I had gotten some good advice before my dog got attacked, and saw this in action:

If your dog is in a fight, and you don't give a damn about the other dog, [b]get out of the middle,[/b]grab the hind legs of the other dog, or even just one hind leg, and lift them or it up. That dog loses leverage and your dog can get his shots in, as well as you getting your boot in.

This happened when my dog was on his leash, and the opposing mutt was not, and came running across the street teeth first. I explained to the owner, as I kicked the sh*t out of his dog and offered to do the same to him, that there was a leash law and he should maybe look into it.

Freedom isn't free
Semper Fidelis
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 4:53:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The only safe way to break up a dog fight is with a flame thrower. And even then you need to be standing back a ways. But when you're done,,, hot dogs for everyone.

sorry, couldn't resist.

My collie mix got stuck in a large ankle trap once and was freaking out. Good thing we were cutting firewood at the time and I was bundled up well. He went crazy and was biting at everything, even me a couple of times.

Dogs are animals. They don't believe in biting their masters but when they are in the psycho mode then watch out.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 5:22:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The only reason humans are at the top of the food chain is because of our brains.
View Quote

Still, I have to admire the intensity of a couple of dogs [u]really[/u] going at it.

If we would only apply the same degree of it to being active, putting pressure on the pols, making HCI look like a bunch of uninvolved slacker, we'd be making some real progress.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 5:25:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Another reminder - Don't grab a bone or food dish from a dog.   A guy I know lost most of his thumb to his best friend.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:59:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Better take those rabbi shots...Just to be on the safe side.
View Quote

Thats right!!! Dont wanna turn into a Jewish rabbi!!!  [;)]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top