User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2006 12:27:00 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 12:37:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Undersized, possibly?
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 12:47:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Try cleaning it out.  It may just be dirty.  When you say does not blow strong are you referring to the amount of air?  Sounds like a dirty evaporator, or inlet.  
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 1:26:21 AM EDT
[#3]
NEVER... EVER... EVER... EVER...  EVER... EVER... EVER...  EVER... EVER... EVER...  EVER... EVER... EVER...  purchase a home warranty.

Home Warranty = butt-rape.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 1:31:14 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 2:10:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Both evaporator and condensor should be clean.  Use "coil wash" type product.

Put in a low restriction air filter (not cheapie blue fiberglass).

Check your flex ducts for collapse/deterioration.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2006 2:46:08 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Try cleaning it out.  It may just be dirty.  When you say does not blow strong are you referring to the amount of air?  Sounds like a dirty evaporator, or inlet.  

Amount of air.  The air doesn't come out of the vents as hard as everywhere else.  He did clean a lot of stuff out from the coils and put a little freon in it.  But it doesn't perform any better.

Also, we have foundation vents.

Tell the service guy to make the indoor fan motor run faster by moving the speed wire on the indoor fan motor control. It might help make the air move faster, but the air won't be as cold due to less time spent moving over the coil.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 2:51:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Could be that's your design temp. The warranty people only use the lowest bidders. The tech isn't an idiot , only doing what the H-W company is paying for. I'll bet you don't work for free , do you ? Read your contract. You might be the "idiot"  Read the really fine print and reacess the situatation & don't be so quick to pass insults!
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 3:17:46 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Undersized, possibly?

Yup.

Been there done that.

Costs me $800 to bring my system up to specs so it works right.

Link Posted: 6/16/2006 3:22:19 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Home Warranty A/C guy is an idiot.

Our A/C blows cold but not very strong.  It will cool the house to about 82 or 81 on a 100 degree day but that is it.  
The guy told us it is fine. But wouldn't stick around long enough to see it wouldn't get cooler.

Possible Problems and or solutions?

I don't want to wait days and spend another call out charge if I can help it.  Plus they probably will send out the same loser.

Sounds like it is working fine. A/Cs are only suppoed to drop the temp by 20 degrees.
Check your filters, you may get another degree or 2 of cooling if you replace them
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 3:46:01 AM EDT
[#11]
 I had the same problem last year.  My Trane A/C wouldn't cool the house, 82 degrees inside on a 100 degree day.  Turns out the outside fan unit was running, but the compressors hot wire had come loose, then shorted out & melted at the jug somehow.  I reattached the hot wire & all was good for another month or so.  The unit was 17 years old so I had it replaced last November.

Anyway, sounds like your compressor isn't kicking on.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 3:50:00 AM EDT
[#12]
A few questions:

1. Has it ever worked right?

2. Does your house have a lot of outside air leakage?

3. have you added any insulation to the attic lately?

4. Are your roof vents working?

5. Is your condenser sitting in the shade or exposed to direct sunlight?

Most of these will aid in getting your house cool.....or your A/C is undersized!

Link Posted: 6/16/2006 3:53:06 AM EDT
[#13]
A buddy of mine just came out and "tuned-up" our central AC system.
Whatever he did, sure does work. On a 90+ day it stays 68 degrees inside my place.

He also said to use low restriction filters to keep the airflow up. He said all those fancy allergenic type filters are super restrictive and eventually will burn-up the blower motor.
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 4:05:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 4:16:34 AM EDT
[#15]
Attic fan helps keep upper floors  more comfortable.

Also, since your not getting same airflow from all vents, sounds like your ductwork is screwy. Maybe too many bends in some places. You sure you don't have any leaks in ductwork.??? go into attic on a warm day while a/c running and see if cold air is leaking from any ductwork in attic.

That's be my guess.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top