Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/27/2001 1:10:16 PM EDT
Ok guys I need some help I can't hit crap over 25 yards with out a scope!

Is there some tips or somw thing one of you can give me here this sucks BAD!

PS:You make fun of me I'll come to your house and piss on your door step[:(!]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You need to be more specific, what do you mean when you say you can't hit "crap"? What kind of rifle / ammo are you using, how large are your groups, etc?

One more question. When you use the peep sights,  can you see the front post and the target clearly?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:24:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Do you have much experience shooting rifles?  Are you using the iron sights correctly to get a proper sight picture?
1.Shoulder the rifle and look through the rear aperature sight.
2.Center the top edge of the front sight post in the rear aperature sight.
3.Keep the sights in this orientation and place the top edge of the front sight on target where you want the bullet to impact.
4.Focus on the top edge of the front sight with the target as a background.
5.You have to regulate your breathing and time your trigger pull so that as your front sight rises and falls with your breathing you exhale a half breath and hold steady on target then squeeze the trigger.
6.The shot should be a surprise.
This is a lot to be able to do all at once for some one not familiar with it.
Most of it is mind set,timing and breathing.
That is why it takes practice to be good.
Once some one masters getting the proper sight picture and breathing control,the most common mistake is to jerk the trigger as opposed to slowly squeezing it and following through.
Do not anticipate the shot,it should be a surprise.  As the military says "you are a weapons platform".  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#4]
What kind of crap. If it's elephant crap then the .223 round is traveling so fast that it won't move it much. You may be hitting it and not be able to tell. ROTFLMAO
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you need glasses? Are you using the smaller/more accurate peep?

Practice "centering" the front site within the aperature and then combine this with holding the front sight on the base of the black circle.

If that doesn't work, maybe try a ACOG reflex 2 or aimpoint. No magnification and you can keep both eyes open.

Breath slowly and squeeze.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:46:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Ok,ECS:
"what do you mean when you say you can't hit "crap"

Shooting at about 100 yards I can't hit the target at all most of the time I shot to the right really bad.
If I shot to the left of the target I will hit but thats not right and I would like to learn the right way.

The_Beer_Slayer"
"Go ahead and piss on my door step. i just electrfied my door mat"

I will just stand back and throw the pee on your door then.

peecmkr45:
"Do you have much experience shooting rifles? Are you using the iron sights correctly to get a proper sight picture?"

#1-Not really I was a shotgun fan for years and I'm just now really working with rifles

#2-I don't know.

retrodog:
"What kind of crap. If it's elephant crap then the .223 round is traveling so fast that it won't move it much"

Where the heck do you even get  elephant crap ?

Sodie, ACOG is that the sight made by Trigicon?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:55:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
A2car,
May I suggest two things? Get a copy of Jeff Coopers "The art of the rifle" and invest in a accurate 22LR rifle. Learn the basics of rifle marksmanship, and practice alot. Mastering your rifle is most rewarding!

Potshot
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:59:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Cool! Thanx RAF, I did not know there are articles like up there thats great.

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Well, and this isn't a flame... Some people just aren't good shooters even though they like guns.
Of course, with practice you can get better... But if you can't hit at 50 yards with iron, there is a major flaw in your mechanics.

1) make sure your gun is properly sighted in. This is the biggets thing. Yeah, that sounds like a gimme, but you would be stunned at how many "shooters" don't know how to properly sight in a gun.

2) Make sure you are using the corect sight picture. This varies from gun to gun. On an apeture sight, you want the post to be directly centered, and the right above the tip to be your impact point.

3) B.R.A.S.S  
Breathe
Raise
Aim
Sight
Squeeze

4) Trigger control. YOu want your trigger finger to operate independantly from the rest of your hand. If you move your trigger finger, and the rest of teh gun moves, you will miss.

5) Foregrip. Make sure the grip you are using on the forestock/handguard of the rifle isn't too tight. If it is, it will translate into movement. I personally don't even "grip" it during target shooting. I rest the rifle in the crotch between my thumb and forefinger.

6) Sling. Consider using a shooting sling for stability. It is hard to describe their proper use with words, but there are plenty of available pics to show how to properly use one for precision shooting.

7) The Semi-Auto mindset. Were you raised hunting and shooting? If not, you are at a major disadvantage. Are you a marksman or a blaster?
Do you consider 30 rounds in your mag to represent 30 hits, or 1 hit with 29 backups in case you miss?
put down your AR15 or whatever semi you are using and get a good .22 bolt gun. I don't care if you are an adult or not, you sometimes have to start at square one if you weren't raised in the shooting game.

8) Benchrest reliance) Too many guys shoot strictly off benches to get wee little groups, but don't know how to shoot offhand.
Practice all your shooting sitting, offhand, and prone. Only use a bench to sight in, or to prove how accurate your gun is. Never think that it is "shooting" in the formal sense.

9) Vision. Many guys are limited by vision. This could be bad vision, eye dominance problems, and so on. This can be corrected, but only with practice.

In order to correct the problem, you have to decide what kind of shooter you want to be. Hunting, Target, 3 position, tactical... All of them are different disciplines, and require different traing. But, a poor marksman will never be good at any of them in the grand scheme.

My e-mail is
[email protected]

Feel free to e-mail with any specific questions. Or, you may want to take advantage of teh competition forum here. Lew Tippie who moderates it is a world class marksmen (God only knows I wish I was that good), and can help you as well.
Hope this helped

Landon

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:47:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Shooting isn't magic. All you have to do is use the fundamentals of marksmanship. Once you have developed a good form, you can shoot well faster.
Basically you have to hold your gun the correct way every shot, use good trigger control, sight alignment and sight picture. Those 4 things and breathing are all there is to it.
Find somebody you know can shoot and get them to watch you. Shoot until you keep all shots in an 8" black at 25, then 50, then 100. Make sure you train right so you will shoot right. Every shot a perfect shot.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 2:04:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Believe Landon nailed your problem w/ #9, check your eye dominance, you might be shooting w/ the wrong eye. (Based on your comment that most of your shots are to the right.)
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ok guys I need some help I can't hit crap over 25 yards with out a scope!

Is there some tips or somw thing one of you can give me here this sucks BAD!

PS:You make fun of me I'll come to your house and piss on your door step[:(!]
View Quote
Take off the lens caps and see if that helps.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 1:29:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, Trijicon Reflex 2. It's expensive, $300.00+ but it's easier than trying to line up a peg and a hole. It comes in different sizes and shapes, make sure that you get the one that fits your purpose. I have the 3.5MOA dot, I think. They range from 6.5MOA close quarters to .8MOA for target shooting.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 1:47:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Are you familiar with the dominant eye thing?  Something to think about.

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 1:55:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Nuckles, I think I may be very familiar with the dominant eye thing if you know what I mean.

There must be some way to deal with that, I bet I'm not the only guy ever to have this there much be some one that has kick it.
What in the world did they do?
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 4:31:01 PM EDT
[#17]
a2car, try to zero your ar at 25 yards. Make sure that your fs post is flush and your rear sight elevation is at 8/3. Shooting at a 25 yard zero target is the same as shooting at 300yards as far as sight alignment and picture are concerned. Also focus on a clear fs tip.
If you are using an AR with Army settings, your rearsight elevation will bottom out at 8/3. Have a gunsmith(or do it yourself, it's easy) re set your rear sight elevation know to go down to 4 or 5 clicks below 8/3 to get it to shoot at 100 yards. I set my Bushmaster to go 8/3-2 (Marine Corps sights). And if you want, I can scan my data book from the rifle range with the important data about positions, stockweld, eye relief, breath control, ect...and e-mail it to you. The fundamentals are the same at any yardage.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top