[#1]
Ahhh, the Brainiac one again.. Cools

Hehehehehe
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 11:24:51 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

flymeaway.net/video/thermite_on_brainiac.wmv

6.6MB wmv file.  Safe for everyone

What a great use for both flower pots and French made cars!!!!

I didn't think the gasoline was going to react like that, I guess it vaporized the liquid gasoline on contact, then, booom
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 11:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
good stuff.
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]
It'll uncover the whole saucer in 30 seconds.
Link Posted: 6/13/2006 11:42:36 PM EDT
[#5]
It also isnt an explosive. You can buy it by the bucket at my local welding supply.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 12:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
someone needs to splice out a new one they did a diffrent experiment with it in season 3 each ep.

the block of ice was my favorite it blew up.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 12:52:27 AM EDT
[#7]
Whoooooa. Me likes thermite.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 1:36:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Dude I need to get 2 pounds of that stuff for my companies email servers.
THEN THEY HAVE NO CHOICE BUT TO UPGRADE
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 2:00:15 AM EDT
[#9]
Get both! Tannerite charge under (and slightly in front of) active thermite.

Sweeeet.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 3:28:32 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Sweeeet.

I though Tannerite  only activates when something of high velocity hits it?
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:03:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Bumo. IS it really that easy to make?
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:13:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#13]
I am surprised that those Brits were allowed to produce that much pollution.  Don't they have some pretty tough environmental laws there?

I wonder if it uses straight aluminium and iron or if it is aluminum/magnesium and iron mix.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for posting that helping me start my work day off to a completely unproductive start.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:39:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I never thought of using a clay pot as a thermite dispenser....but with the hole in the bottom of it, it would work pretty good at directing the stream of molten metal......

Tannerite and thermite are entirely different animals, but each is VERY cool in its own way.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:40:17 AM EDT
[#16]
Fun enough to see again.   Again.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:46:05 AM EDT
[#18]
Cool stuff!  
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 5:51:45 AM EDT
[#19]
What the f%&k do puppies need with tannerite!? Maybe you should dial back on the soy milk a little.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 6:11:01 AM EDT
[#20]
"This car was chosen to be destroyed because it is old, it is white, and most importantly, because it is FRENCH."

Link Posted: 6/14/2006 8:43:00 AM EDT
[#21]
I just made some thermite recently.  Lots of fun.  It's so cool to look at the white-hot pile of molten iron.  Also the slag can form hollow balls which form small crystals inside.  The slag is actually the same stuff as sapphire and ruby.

I just bought some chromium oxide from unitednuclear.com, so hopefully I'll be able to get solid chromium.  I'm also burning a bunch of steel wool to save money on Fe3O4.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 8:44:57 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I just made some thermite recently.  Lots of fun.  It's so cool to look at the white-hot pile of molten iron.  Also the slag can form hollow balls which form small crystals inside.  The slag is actually the same stuff as sapphire and ruby.

I just bought some chromium oxide from unitednuclear.com, so hopefully I'll be able to get solid chromium.  I'm also burning a bunch of steel wool to save money on Fe3O4.

How do you make thermite?
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 8:50:18 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

go to google and type "making thermite"

one set of instructions here

also:

Thermite

The thermite reaction is a redox reaction that produces a lot of heat and light. In its usual configuration, temperatures can exceed 3000 degrees C, and molten iron is produced. It is therefore mainly used for welding, and by the Army in incendiary grenades.

There are many possible configurations - basically it is the reaction between a reactive metal and the oxide of a less reactive metal. The most common is as follows:

Aluminium powder, Al (coarse) 1 volume part or 3 weight parts

Iron (III) Oxide, Fe203 1 volume part or 1 weight part

A stoichiometric mixture will provide best results.

The powders are mixed together and ignited with a suitable fuse. Many people use magnesium ribbon - I don’t recommend this, as magnesium ribbon is not all that easy to light, and quite prone to going out due to oxygen starvation. A much better fuse for thermite is a common sparkler. The mixture should be shielded with aluminium foil or similar to prevent sparks from the sparkler igniting the thermite prematurely.

Reaction: 2Al + Fe O ---> Al O + 2Fe + lots of heat

(s) 2 3(s) 2 3(s) (l)

The mixture can be varied easily, as long as the metal oxide you are using is of a less reactive metal than the elemental one you are using, e.g. copper oxide and zinc. Adjust the ratios accordingly.

Safety aspects:

Reaction: Make sure you no longer need whatever you are igniting the thermite on - the reaction will melt and/or ignite just about anything. If you ignite the thermite on the ground, make sure the ground is DRY and free of flammable material. If the ground is wet a burst of steam may occur, scattering 3000 degree metal everywhere.

Be careful when igniting the thermite - use adequate shielding to prevent premature ignition. Don’t get close to the mixture once ignited - it has been known to spark and splatter. Don’t look at the reaction directly. It produces large amounts of ultraviolet light that can damage the eyes. Use welder’s goggles, 100% UV filter sunglasses or do not look at all.

Aluminium: Chemical dust in the lungs is to be avoided. As always, wear a dust mask. Make sure the environment you are working in is dry - aluminium powder can be dangerous when wet. Fine aluminium dust is pyrophoric - this means it can spontaneously ignite in air. For this reason aluminium powder with a large particle size is recommended.

Iron Oxide: This is not directly toxic, but any particulate matter in the lungs is not good. Again, the dust mask is important.

Link Posted: 6/14/2006 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buy Fe2O3 or Fe3O4 (I've heard that Fe3O4 burns a little hotter), or burn steel wool and powder it (actually just burning it doesn't seem to fully oxidize it.  I have to burn it, and then burn it again and blow on it to fully oxidize it.  I'm not sure why, but I suppose that when the wool burns, only the outer layer burns and the inside is still just iron metal, so you have to give it a lot of oxygen to burn all the way through the fibers.  If it's fully oxidized, it'll powder.  If not, it will stay in the form of wool), and mix it with 1/3rd aluminum powder by weight.  Then light with a sparkler or magnesium strip.  A fuse will NOT work, and you will probably not even succeed lighting it with a propane torch (of course, you don't want to be that close anyway).

The aluminum more strongly attracts the oxygen than the iron, so if you get the mixture hot enough the aluminum is able to steal the oxygen from the iron oxide, creating pure iron metal and aluminum oxide (which is what rubies and sapphires are, though you aren't going to get any sizeable crystals, so it's worthless).
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 8:57:00 AM EDT
[#25]
tag

Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#26]
You can buy it, but it seems expensive... any other sources besides this?

Amazing Rust
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:29:41 AM EDT
[#27]
I lost all my guns in a Thermite accident.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:32:59 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I lost all my guns in a Thermite accident.

Sounds like a good "doomsday" automated system for your safe when they show up to confiscate them.  
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:39:28 AM EDT
[#29]

Thermite is cool.

Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:41:12 AM EDT
[#30]
Do they sell that stuff at wal-mart??
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:41:15 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
"This car was chosen to be destroyed because it is old, it is white, and most importantly, because it is FRENCH."

nice to see the english are still on the same page as us.

i can think of at least 30 really fun things to do with that stuff.
most involve my repeated efforts to get my road repaved.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#32]
Man, what a relief.

I thought the topic was about using Tannerite on PUPPIES!

Dupe, BTW.
Link Posted: 6/14/2006 10:40:03 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweeeet.

You brought your guns, didn't you?
Link Posted: 6/16/2006 8:34:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Here's a video from the totally awesome website, www.theodoregray.com:

www.theodoregray.com/PeriodicTable/Samples/026.17/index.video.s12.html
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:03:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Sweeeet.

It has to do with energy.  Heat is a form of energy.  I'll let you connect the dots
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:08:32 AM EDT
[#36]
This is just an innocent little post. This is not a tag.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 12:38:39 PM EDT
[#37]
tag for later viewing
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#38]
That was beautiful.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 1:20:27 PM EDT
[#39]
That rocked!  

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 1:44:28 PM EDT
[#40]
thermite is bad ass but i would also imagine that it is highly illegal to own. THis is the same shit that they put into bombs and dropped during vietnam.

dont fuck around with it or you will be burned.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:27:42 PM EDT
[#41]
How do you untag a thread? because I don't think I should tag this
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:33:58 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
thermite is bad ass but i would also imagine that it is highly illegal to own. THis is the same shit that they put into bombs and dropped during vietnam.

It's not illegal.  Co-workers used to buy it at a welding shop.

It's iron and aluminum.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:37:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#44]
They use it to fix railroad tracks. They basically cast a new section of track with it. It'll get your attention that's for sure.
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 2:58:15 PM EDT
[#45]
I'll stick with my $500 tannerite targets instead.....

Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:08:26 PM EDT
[#46]
We used Thermite goodness in Iraq ’91.  We, Combat Engineers, ran out of C4 and still had much to destroy.  We broke out the thermite grenades.  One USGI thermite grenade will travel from top to desert floor when ignited over the engine compartment of a T-72 Tank (or what ever the hell kind of Russian tank they were).  
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:41:40 PM EDT
[#47]
tag
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 3:51:04 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
I'll stick with my $500 tannerite targets instead.....

img78.imageshack.us/img78/3502/d61vl.jpg

img78.imageshack.us/img78/8797/ice20chest20tannerite5kr.jpg

Do you have pics or video of that going off???
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#49]
Tannerite is for "pussies"???

Maybe try mixing up bout 3 of them and shooting it from 50 yards or so....

I seriously think you will change your opinion
Link Posted: 6/17/2006 5:21:52 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

dont fuck around with it or you will be burned.

I think you're thinking of napalm.  Thermite is completely legal.  Not only that, but it's easy to make.  All you need is a piece of aluminum, a bench grinder or something to powder the aluminum, steel wool and fire (Or you can drag beach sand with a powerful magnet and collect the black stuff, which is the same stuff you get from burning steel wool).  Mix in correct perportions, light with a sparkler or magnesium ribbon, and there you go.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top