Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 9:35:16 AM EDT
So I’m selling my vehicle, no real reason why, just want to buy something else and figure it’d be easier to wheel and deal with a scum bag car salesman if I’ve already got cash in hand.  So anyway, what should I write up for a receipt?  I pretty much just want to indicate that the deal for the car is “as is” and, that as soon as the buyer leaves my sight with their purchase, that I hope I never see or hear from them again.

How do I express that in a sales receipt?
[beer]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:55:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much just like you said. List the VIN, mileage, date and sale price. The vehicle is "AS IS" and that there are no known mechanical defects except as listed. Then list any you know about.

That should do it.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Pretty much just like you said. List the VIN, mileage, date and sale price. The vehicle is "AS IS" and that there are no known mechanical defects except as listed. Then list any you know about.

That should do it.
View Quote

if you're stating "as is" then you don't have to list any known problems.  of course, lying about them if buyer asks won't look good later, but it's not your responsibility to let the buyer know about them. "Buyer Beware"

secondly, make sure there are signatures.  yours and buyers.  and two copies.  one for buyer one for you.  why?  any lame-brain can re-create a receipt with no signatures.

my suggestion:  type it up, print out two copies, and have both signed during transaction.  buyer drives off with car and one copy.  you keep other copy for yourself.  also might help to have "buyer's copy" typed on his/hers and "seller's copy" on yours.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Also get at least one witness to sign as well. It will support our position later if there are problems.  These guys are right "AS IS" is important.  Also state honestly what you know about the car.  They may have a case if they do a background check on the car and a major accient shows up when you owned the vehicle and you didnt tell them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:43:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Make a copy of the title after you have signed it over.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Do a search on it, I bet there is a form you can print out that would work great.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Dolomite,

I have a blank copy of a Bill of Sale I use whenever I sell a vehicle. I have it in Microsoft Excel and I will email it to you if you want me to. You will have to change the state and put yours on it. You will need Excel to open it up on your computer. Let me know

Moose        
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:01:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Make SURE that you go to the DPS office, or the county's tax assesor/collector's office or whatever entity transfers titles in your state and get the title put in their name.  My father-in-law was almost sued after a vehicle he sold was in an accident.  CYA

Tate
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 9:32:57 AM EDT
[#8]
I do what others have suggested, make 2 copies, one for the me, one for the buyer, get a witness signature, write the VIN number and date and so forth.

I always write the following words on the BOS:

"This vehicle is sold AS-IS with no warranties, expressed nor implied."

The more formal you make it, the more unlikely someone will try to come back on you since you have a pretty definitive document.

Merlin
Link Posted: 8/28/2001 6:17:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Getting the contract notarized may be of help also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top