Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#1]
But is his arm ok?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:15:17 AM EDT
[#2]
he is a stud and doesn't wear a helmet
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:16:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Oh well, there goes his career... IMHO anyway....
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:17:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I feel very strange if I don't have my seatbelt on while I am driving my truck.  I just have to put it on.

I also feel very strange if I don't have my helmet on and my motorcycle is running.  I just have to put it on.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:21:06 AM EDT
[#5]
You know, the article doesn't specifically state whether or not he was wearing a helmet. It just mentions that he disliked them. So do I, but I was wearing one the first time I wrecked my bike, and I wasn't wearing one the second time. I was fine both times.

Is it possible that he WAS wearing one?

More interesting (to me anyway) is the media's fascination with the helmeted status of fallen riders. Watch any news program, or read any news article regarding a motorcycle crash and the helmet thing will come up. Why do people who don't ride motorcycles give two shits? Hmmm...
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:22:22 AM EDT
[#6]
When you ride without a helmet you aren't a stud, you're an organ donor.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:23:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
You know, the article doesn't specifically state whether or not he was wearing a helmet. It just mentions that he disliked them. So do I, but I was wearing one the first time I wrecked my bike, and I wasn't wearing one the second time. I was fine both times.

More interesting (to me anyway) is the media's fascination with the helmeted status of fallen riders. Watch any news program, or read any news article regarding a motorcycle crash and the helmet thing will come up. Why do people who don't ride motorcycles give two shits? Hmmm...

It's the media.  Anything is possible.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:23:17 AM EDT
[#8]
one more victim of

"i'm 20-something, rich, famous and invincible because of it"

i'm pretty sure he could have afforded a helmet.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:24:49 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
But is his arm ok?

You're sick!  I like you!
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

riding your moped at the max speed of 15 mph doesn't count!
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:25:22 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
When you ride without a helmet you aren't a stud, you're an organ donor.

DING DING DING.... we have a winner.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:25:45 AM EDT
[#12]
So if he has a broken arm and a broken leg, what flag will the helmet nazis raise?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:30:17 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

And they never mention anything else about the rider's gear, or the quality of that helmet.  if a guy is wearing swim trunks and a plastic novelty skid lid, then he's a-ok by the media.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:31:39 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Harley and I'm am scared to ride it anymore. I'm not scared of shit usually, I just have a real great life and I don't want ot die or get fucked up on my bike. I think after Sturgis I'm selling it.

Some jackass pulled out in front of me and put me in a ditch, and I havent rode since.

I have two good friends who both bought bikes from Strokers and both of those guys spent time in ICU within weeks of each other.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:34:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Iam really surprised he was allowed to ride one.  Most NFL contracts specifically prohibit motorbikes.  I guess no repeat.

My Honda Sabre hasnt been really rode since I bought it.  No organ donating for me.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:36:32 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's the media.  Anything is possible.

Well I googled some more news stories, and some specifically state that he was not wearing one. One article also said that he flew over the handlebars and hit the car's windshield before rolling over the back of the car. If he had a direct contact with his head (depending on speed) a helmet might not have made a bit of difference. They're only tested to AT MOST a 15mph impact.

I remember that in my case, I was doing 70mph when I went down. That's 70mph horizontally. I'm sure that my speed vertically was less than 10mph or so. The helmet (a full face) didn't really do much for me impact-wise, other than make my neck sore as hell. It DID keep my face nice and perty, though.

My face was the only part of me not bloody.

The second time I went down, I wasn't wearing a helmet, but I managed to keep my head from smacking the road. The rest of me was tore up, though.

You know what I love about these stories? They never bother to ask whether or not he was wearing proper protective clothing. All they care about is the helmet. In both of my accidents, my head was fine, but I have scars all over the place from the road rash. Not one person in my family asked why I was wearing jeans and a t-shirt. As I'm laying there taking pain killers and wrapped in bandages after the first accident, all they can think to say is "Well, at least you wore a helmet. You were LUCKY". Lucky? Fuck.

The second time, looking at my bloody torso, legs and arms, they say "WHY WEREN'T YOU WEARING A HELMET?!!!", while somehow ignoring the fact that my head didn't have a solitary scratch on it. People are strange creatures, indeed. It's like they're robots with preprogrammed responses to common events, or something.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:38:53 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I have a Harley and I'm am scared to ride it anymore. I'm not scared of shit usually, I just have a real great life and I don't want ot die or get fucked up on my bike. I think after Sturgis I'm selling it.

Some jackass pulled out in front of me and put me in a ditch, and I havent rode since.

I have two good friends who both bought bikes from Strokers and both of those guys spent time in ICU within weeks of each other.

Custom bikes?  Those WCC type bikes look cool, but I often wonder how well they handle.  The super low seats, super stoopid high/wide handlebars, the looooooong rake/trail in the forks, long wheelbase.......they all add up to really slow and crappy handling to me.

If you ride, it WILL happen.  I've been lucky and dodged a few.  Doesn't mean I'll dodge the next one.  Hell, I hate to jinx myself by posting in this thread even.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#18]
He's going to look silly with a superbowl ring on his hand the controls the Joystick on the wheelchair!
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:42:42 AM EDT
[#19]
Here is what they just stated and showed pictures/video of on Foxnews:

Witnesses said he hit the front passenger side of a car that turned in front of him. Went over the handlebars, head first into the windshield, no helmet. From the pictures it looked like his head/face slapped the upper passenger side corner of the windshield. He then rolled across the hood, landed on his knees and banged his head on the pavement.

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:44:39 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Custom bikes?  Those WCC type bikes look cool, but I often wonder how well they handle.  The super low seats, super stoopid high/wide handlebars, the looooooong rake/trail in the forks, long wheelbase.......they all add up to really slow and crappy handling to me.

If you ride, it WILL happen.  I've been lucky and dodged a few.  Doesn't mean I'll dodge the next one.  Hell, I hate to jinx myself by posting in this thread even.  

It is funny because one of those guys brought his bike by here to show it to me. Me and one of the guys that work for me were outside looking at it and we asked him

"Where is your helmet?"  He said, I just turn my cap around.

That high angle rake is hard to ride huh? He said, Nope it is easy.

I bet the brakes on this thing suck huh? He said, You would be suprised how good they are.

Next fucking day, I get a call that he is in surgery and I need to call his wife.

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:44:40 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Witnesses said he hit the front passenger side of a car that turned in front of him. Went over the handlebars, head first into the windshield, no helmet. From the pictures it looked like his head/face slapped the upper passenger side corner of the windshield. He then rolled across the hood, landed on his knees and banged his head on the pavement.

I wonder how fast he was going?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:45:09 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

This is THE classic bike accident.  Cager makes left turn in front of oncoming bike............
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#23]

Visiting the Steelers' training camp last summer, Bradshaw remarked: "Ride it when you retire".

The last time I got hit on a motorcycle, I got popped from behind in rush hour traffic and sent flying.  I got knocked out and had a concussion.  It cracked my helmet .  If not for the helmet, it would have been my skull that cracked.  All of you tough guys who scoff at wearing a helmet are insane.

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the looks of the city intersection it happened in I would bet not very fast. It was the entrance to a tunnel or something. Helmet probably would have prevented most of the reported injuries.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:47:34 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
So if he has a broken arm and a broken leg, what flag will the helmet nazis raise?

"The bones will heal; at least he survived without major head trauma"?

Yeah, that sounds pretty unreasonable.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:51:13 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It depends on the builder's comprehension of rake and trail principles.

Smart builders use raked tripple trees to keep everything kosher (within limits). 36 degrees in the neck (with raked trees) seems to be the absolute max I'm comfortable with. Past a certain point, and the shocks don't work unless you hit a wall (think about it). I've seen bikes that raised an inch in the front when the handlebars were cranked all the way to the stops.

Still, low seats, handlebars no higher than shoulder height, and an engineered approach to bike building can result in a bike that looks cool, AND handles well. I don't pay much attention to the builders on TV, since I can't afford their stuff anyway.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:52:23 AM EDT
[#27]
Even if he is capable of playing, I bet his contract was voided upon crashing.  Most pro contracts have that now.

How stupid.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:53:43 AM EDT
[#28]
I thought you meant the guy that hosts made in america and I was worried, now that I see he was an athlete I am no longer worried.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:54:13 AM EDT
[#29]
What does Vegas have for odds on his recovery?
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:54:41 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

From the looks of the city intersection it happened in I would bet not very fast. It was the entrance to a tunnel or something. Helmet probably would have prevented most of the reported injuries.

If it was at 25mph or so, I think you're right. It'd at least help.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:56:01 AM EDT
[#31]
Reminds me of the beginning of The Sixth Day. Just clone his ass.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 10:56:22 AM EDT
[#32]
So, then, why does he wear a helmet (and other protective clothing) when he plays football?

Anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet doesn't have a brain worth saving, in my estimation. Worse are the Neanderthals who don't even let their girlfriends wear a helmet.

I think helmet laws are stoooopid. Not nearly as stoooopid as not wearing one, though.

I wonder if he was thinking, as his head did a Marty McFly off the pavement, "Yeah! Stick it to the Man! This'll show 'em!"
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:01:32 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Perhaps so some future motorcycle rider will see that not wearing protective gear does have real world consequences?

Not limited to a helmet.  I'm not sure I'd want my helmeted head to survive if the highway grinds the skin off of my arms/legs/torso.

Jim
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Smart builders use raked tripple trees to keep everything kosher (within limits). 36 degrees in the neck (with raked trees) seems to be the absolute max I'm comfortable with. Past a certain point, and the shocks don't work unless you hit a wall (think about it). I've seen bikes that raised an inch in the front when the handlebars were cranked all the way to the stops.

Still, low seats, handlebars no higher than shoulder height, and an engineered approach to bike building can result in a bike that looks cool, AND handles well. I don't pay much attention to the builders on TV, since I can't afford their stuff anyway.

I'm sure some of them handle fairly well, but I would rather be on my CBR600F2 if I have to dodge a car than a chopper that's 11 feet long!!!    You know what I mean......
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:01:59 AM EDT
[#35]
but type of bike was he on?

it looked like a gsxr with a polished frame and wheels from the brief video footage I saw on the boob tube.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:04:10 AM EDT
[#36]
As far as the helmet issue goes......for better or worse, he was exercising his personal freedom.  From everything I've heard, Big Ben has been not just a great player, but a good guy.  I hope he recovers quickly.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:08:24 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

If it was at 25mph or so, I think you're right. It'd at least help.

At higher speeds it doesn't matter what you're wearing, the low speed accidents are where a helmet provides the most protection from injury.

I've had dirt and street bikes, three wheelers, and four wheelers off and on for the last 20 years, only ridden without a helmet maybe three times in my life. Helmets have saved my melon on a few occasions.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:09:45 AM EDT
[#38]

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was injured when his motorcycle was involved in a crash on the 10th Street Bridge today.

Dr. Larry Jones of Mercy Hospital addressed the media at 1:25 p.m. and said that Roethlisberger was in serious but stable condition.

He was undergoing surgery for unspecified injuries.

Jones said that Roethlisberger was talking and cognizant of the situation.

Roethlisberger was injured shortly after 11:15 a.m. at the Second Avenue side of the bridge near the Armstrong Tunnel.

One Steelers source said Roethlisberger was in surgery for a broken jaw, an injury that can take approximately seven weeks to heal. The Steelers season starts in 12 weeks.

Steelers' spokesman David Lockett would only confirm that Roethlisberger was involved in the accident and is being treated at Mercy Hospital.

An eyewitness said she saw a motorcycle headed outbound on Second Avenue as a car was coming inbound. The car, a Chrysler New Yorker with Maine plates, made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist. The motorcycle hit the car and the operator flew into the windshield and then hit the ground.

The witness said she went to the aid of the motorcyclist and asked his name. He said it was "Ben" and tried to get up, but she told him to stay still.

The victim was bleeding heavily from a head injury, and blood pooled on the pavement. The witness said he was not wearing a helmet.

Roethlisberger has been known to refuse to wear a helmet when operating his cycle.

The entire front end of the motorcycle, was destroyed. The car sustained damage on the passenger side door.

Sandra Ford, a Homewood writer and artist, was waiting for the bus on 10th Street about 11 a.m. She saw a rugged-looking white man with curly hair on his motorcycle driving along the avenue heading toward the 10th street bridge.

In the opposite direction, the Chrysler was approaching and preparing to make the turn.

"I kept waiting for the motorcyclist to slow down," she said. "He never stopped and just plowed into the car."

She said she believes Roethlisberger, who wasn't speeding, but going at a pretty good clip, never saw the car. "He had to be looking somewhere else, he just sailed across the intersection."

Allan Detrich, Block News Alliance
Ben Roethlisberger's mother, Brenda Roethlisberger, hurriedly throws her suitcase into her car today so she can travel to get to Pittsburgh.
Click photo for larger image.

It was a crazy scene, said Ford, still shaken from the accident two hours after it happened. At the time of the accident, she did not know it was the Steeler's quarterback. She found out when she got home and saw the TV news.

Ford, said that she heard a crunching sounds and saw Roethlisberger fly from his motorcycle "like a doll," leaving a pretty big dent in the car, said Ms. Ford.

Afterward, Roethlisberger tumbled off the car and lay still in the street. "I thought he had died."

About 11:23, Ford began taking notes and talking to the driver of the car. Ford was also at the Amtrak station last month when a freight train collided with it as passengers were de-boarding.

By this time, the driver had gotten from the car and asked Roethliesberger to remain still, he was trying to move.

"His face was all bloody. I saw blood coming from his head."

Pittsburgh Police spokeswoman Tammy Ewin said that the department would issue a release in regards to the accident specifics around 3 p.m. today, but would not have information on Roethlisberger's condition. Ewin said that information would come from Steelers officials.

Police commander Thomas Stangrecki said that an accident reconstruction team would investigate the cause of the accident.

Ewen also stressed that accident investigations can take "weeks, not hours" to complete.

Steelers coach Bill Cowher addressed the issue with Roethlisberger in May 2005 after Cleveland Browns tight end Kellen Winslow's accident riding a Suzuki GSX-R750 in suburban Cleveland. Winslow hit a curb in a parking lot and was ejected from his bike, injuring his knee.

"It's one of those things, where he talked about being a risk-taker and I'm not really a risk-taker, I'm pretty conservative and laid back," Roethlisberger told the Post-Gazette. "So the big thing is just be careful and that's what we do. I think every person that rides is careful. That's the biggest thing, I'll just continue to be careful. I told him we never ride alone we always ride in a group of people, and I think that makes it more safe."

Winslow's contract forbade him from riding a motorcycle, Roethlisberger's contract does not prohibit him from riding motorcycles, even helmetless. The standard NFL contract prohibits risky behavior, but what constitutes risky behavior? Pennsylvania repealed its mandatory helmet law in 2003.

"I think that's my own discretion," Roethlisberger said about not wearing a helmet when he rides. "Obviously, Pennsylvania doesn't think people need to."

During an interview last year, Steelers Hall-of-Fame quarterback Terry Bradshaw offered one piece of advice for Roethlisberger about his motorcycle.

"Ride it when you retire. That's the way I feel. Those things are dangerous."

Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
one more victim of

"i'm 20-something, rich, famous and invincible because of it"

i'm pretty sure he could have afforded a helmet.

That's probably why he was riding a Hyabusa..
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
So, then, why does he wear a helmet (and other protective clothing) when he plays football?

Anyone who rides a motorcycle without a helmet doesn't have a brain worth saving, in my estimation. Worse are the Neanderthals who don't even let their girlfriends wear a helmet.

I think helmet laws are stoooopid. Not nearly as stoooopid as not wearing one, though.

Thank you! Is the irony of this injury to an athlete, who wouldn't be allowed to compete in his profession without a helmet being lost here? Taking a shot from a 300 lb lineman who is coming at you after a 10-15 yard full sprint can be pretty violent, but doesn't compare to the potential impact a rider can suffer when he hits a car head-on. At this point, it doesn't look as though this was a high speed collision, but obviously plenty of damage can be done to your cranium at lower speeds.

This is a dumbass mistake of the highest order, from a person who has a whole lot to lose and should know better. I sure hope he makes it out of this okay.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:13:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Oh well, stupid hurts.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:16:27 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm sure some of them handle fairly well, but I would rather be on my CBR600F2 if I have to dodge a car than a chopper that's 11 feet long!!!    You know what I mean......

Even as a custom chop owner, I'm with you. If I knew I was going to have to do some REALLY creative manuvering, I'd rather be on your CBR600F2 as well.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:17:23 AM EDT
[#43]

An eyewitness said she saw a motorcycle headed outbound on Second Avenue as a car was coming inbound. The car, a Chrysler New Yorker with Maine plates, made a left turn toward the bridge in front of the cyclist.

I didn't know that Kimo von Oelhoffen lived in Maine.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:19:55 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Part of the fascination with helmets & riders is states like Colorado which force all autommobile occupants to be belted in, but motorcycle riders need not wear helmets.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:26:13 AM EDT
[#45]
He was riding a Suzuki Hayabusa.

I read that he lost most of his teeth, had a 9 inch cut to the back of his head, fractured his sinus cavity bone, broken jaw and severely injured both of his knees.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:30:04 AM EDT
[#46]
IMHO, the whole helmet 'law' thing is BS. When I ride, do I wear a helmet? Yeah.. Should the state mandate that? Nope.

It's just like any other form of over-governing IMHO.
Yeah, folks who see helmetless riders can scoff, call them dumb, whatever, but it's ultimately their OWN decision, as it should be. Unless you live in a state which mandates it.

$.02
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:30:18 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Part of the fascination with helmets & riders is states like Colorado which force all autommobile occupants to be belted in, but motorcycle riders need not wear helmets.

Interesting point. I don't support mandatory seatbelt laws either, and I can see how angry it would make a non-motorcyclist. It does seem unequal and a bit hypocrytical on the part of lawmakers. There's a couple of things that probably need mentioning, if it helps:

1. Motorcyclists tend to be very well organized. They support groups who lobby in their best interest. It's been very effective in many states. Given the MUCH larger number of motorists, I've always been suprised that they never did the same.

2. The consequences of not wearing a seat belt are very well documented and are easy to test and verify. I wish we could say the same for motorcycles. It's exceedingly difficult to test various motorcycle accident scenarios in a controlled manner. Unfortunately, all we seem to have are personal accounts of accident scenes, anecdotal evidence, and lots of speculation. I hope this is remedied someday. There are alot of misconceptions on both sides of the helmet issue. Both sides tend to invalidate their point simply by over stating it.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:31:48 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

<-------

KS - Seatbelt law, no helmet law. Further, a recent law mandates child seats for all children under 4'-9". No word on whether adults under 4'-9" have to be in booster seats. ... and we're supposed to be a "conservative" state. Yeah, right.

Kansas: It's as Big Government as you think.
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#49]
I lived in Pittsburgh for a while so I've been following this story with a bit of interest.  I feel bad for the guy because most of the serious injuries listed (lost teeth, laceration to the head) could have been prevented by wearing a helmet.  

<-- owns two Vanson armored jackets (GP hard armor) and always wore a full face helmet
Link Posted: 6/12/2006 11:36:51 AM EDT
[#50]
I hope he recovers fully.

But if he starts hanging out with Gary Busey .....
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top