Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 8:54:14 AM EDT
Time for a new hunting rifle.  The only two I am considering right now are the Browning A-Bolt, and the Remington 700.  There is one other rifle I've heard good things about, Sako, but I don't know much about it.  

With any of the rifle I want I will probably go stainless with a synthetic stock, in 30-06; but I've been tossing around going w/ a 7mm mag or 300 short.  The Remington probably costs about $100 more than the similar Browning I am looking at.  I know they are both decent rifles, but which would you buy?

I know the Remington is the standard, but I actually prefer the feel of the Browning.  How does it compare in terms of accuracy?  With the BOSS are they close to the same?  Any thoughts on the new 300 Winchester short mag?  Thanks for any input on which you prefer.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:51:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#2]
SGB - Is that with or without the boss?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:13:13 AM EDT
[#4]
What's a Remington 900? I am aware of their centerfire bolt-action rifles, Models 7, 700, 710, 78, 788, 725, 720, 721, 722,600, 660, and 30, their centerfire pump rifles, Models 14, 14 1/2, 760, 7600, 76, and 6, their automatics, Models 8, 81, 74, 740, 742, 7400, and 4. I am not, however, familiar with any rifle called the Model 900 Remington. Could you please enlighten us?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:22:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Are you kidding? Both are rifles of very high quality, you can do no wrong choosing either.
My M-700 consistantly shoots sub-moa with factory Remington and Federal loads.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I have an A-bolt II composite stalker in 7 mm rem mag W/ BOSS.  With 140gr Noslers it shoots 1/3 MOA, three shot groups consistently.  I also shoot 168 gr. Sierra HPBT's.  I have only shot nine rounds of them and with the first BOSS sweet spot they have all been right at 1/2 MOA.  I have also shot 154 gr. Hornady factory loads and without adjusting the BOSS from the 140 gr. setting they are just under 3/4 MOA.  I have never had this gun shoot 1 MOA or more, even when I have not been up to full potential.  Im sure the M700 is a very nice rifle but I would take an A-bolt over it any day of the week.  That is by no means trying to degrade the M700 in any way, just a testament to the Browning.

I am very interested in the WSM rounds, but I got mine before they came out and everyone I hunt with shoots 7 mag so it makes it easier since we shoot the same round. I would give the WSM some consideration.  I also remember the M700 being about $150 less than my A-bolt, unless you are looking at a PSS or something similar.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#7]
I,ve had all three.A friend had to have the Sako,and the Rem got traded for a pistol.I  still have the Browning just because I liked it a little better. The stock feels better to me. But they are all excelent guns and you wont go wrong with any one of them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:10:55 PM EDT
[#8]
HKer:

Though it is not a problem with the average hunting rifle, the Remington is far easier to rebarrel than the A-bolt.  I think Browning uses an epoxy compound as a threadlocker.  Usually these can be a major problem.

All three are great guns....

SRM
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:20:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Here is my 2 cents worth...I have always preferred a Remington over just about anything.  All my Remingtons have shot just great.  The only things I don't care for on the Brownings are the BOSS system and do they still make them in Japan?  I have read and heard from hunters not to use your BOSS without ear protection...yes for even just one shot!  Tom Gresham talks about the problem on his radio show all the time.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#10]
HKer,

You would be well served with either the Browning or the Remington.  And yes, Sako makes excellent rifles.

But it seems to me that you've answered your own question.  You obviously prefer the feel of the Browning, and you can even get it cheaper! (although like some others, I am amazed.  I would expect the Browning to be more expensive than a comparable Remington)

But given your criteria for rifles/calibers/finishes/etc., here is my $.02:

Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker, BOSS, .300 WSM
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:59:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Just a technical point, but as for rebarreling, I suspect that any reputable gunsmith could rebarrel an A-bolt.  As for epoxy being used as a threadlock, try using modest amounts of heating (300F or less) to soften up the epoxy.  There is a reason why archery manufacturers counsel against leaving a bow in a hot automobile-- the epoxy glue line can fail, and delamination occurs.  

Like somebody else said, aren't Remingtons usually about $100-$150 less than the A-bolt?  

And FWIW, I like my Winchester Mdl 70 a great deal. I happen to like the controlled round feed feature, the all-steel construction, conical breech and the simple trigger adjustment.  If you have the BOSS system with the ports, you definitely need hearing protection all the time unless you like to go deaf quickly.  Sometimes the BOSS is handy, as it can be used to drive off irritating people at the range.  

Also on the short list of factory rifles:

1) Mark 10 action
2  BRNO series of Czech bolt actions
3) Model 700
4) A-Bolt
5) Sako

One of my friends from Gastonia, NC and his father were interested in Sako rifles, but concluded that they were nothing special.  
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:02:39 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm selling (my wife) the brand new Browning A-Bolt SStalker. If interested send an e-mail,
[img]http://home.earthlink.net/~dalecon/_uimages/B-rifle.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:04:27 PM EDT
[#13]
My dads Stainles Stalker A-Bolt in .270 w/ BOSS will print insane small groups.

I tried to trade him my REM700 for it, but he wouldn't go for it.
Once I can afford one, I want an ABOLT with BOSS too.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:21:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Dacon - Check you email
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:27:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker, BOSS, .300 WSM
View Quote

I wish this rifle existed !!
Browning only catalogs the .300 WSM in standard barrels not the BOSS system.

Heck I'm having a hard time finding a Stainless Stalker in .308 with a BOSS. I think the .308 is only available as a composite stalker(blue)now but I have seen .270's &
.30-06's in Stainless Stalkers with the BOSS.
It seems the long action or magnum rifles are more common with the BOSS.

As far as noise from the BOSS , this is easily remedied with the BOSS CR , a non-ported sleeve that replaces the original "muzzle brake" desgin of the BOSS.
 BOSS CR is usually a $25 accesory from Browning.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#16]
My nephew has a Browning ABolt 270 cal. with the Boss. He loves it, however, it is Loud!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:37:08 PM EDT
[#17]
[url]www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/firearms.htm
[/url]

It states here that the new A-Bolt's come with the BOSS & BOSS-CR standard if you choose that option.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:40:51 PM EDT
[#18]
[url] www.remington.com [/url]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:22:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Here is my 2 cents worth...I have always preferred a Remington over just about anything.  All my Remingtons have shot just great.  The only things I don't care for on the Brownings are the BOSS system and do they still make them in Japan?  I have read and heard from hunters not to use your BOSS without ear protection...yes for even just one shot!  Tom Gresham talks about the problem on his radio show all the time.  
View Quote

That is why they have the CR version.  IT is conventional recoil and muzzle blast.  That is what I use for hunting, I use the standard version when target shooting.

Yes, they are made in Japan.  The one and only part about the rifle I truly dislike.  Although I looked at my uncles Weatherby and it was also made in Japan so it made me feel a bit better.

I just noticed the CR accessory comments.  I called browning about one year ago about getting the CR version.  The asked for my address, finish and caliber and promptly said it will be sent to you as soon as we get more in stock, free of charge!

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:50:30 PM EDT
[#20]
Although I looked at my uncle's Weatherby and they are also made in Japan so it made me feel a bit better.
View Quote

Not quite. Weatherby currently has their Mark V and others manufactured by Saco Defense in Maine. The Vanguard, which is nothing more than an expensive Howa 1500, is still made in japan.

I don't know if they've improved anything, but Browning has had some less than satisfactory customer service in the past. You might also consider that the Remington Model 700 is a good test bed for customization and accurization, with beaucoup accessories offered in the way of triggers, stocks, etc. I imagine you'll buy whatever you want though.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:14:06 PM EDT
[#21]
Go with the Remington Model 700. I had one in 300 Win. mag and that thing flat out shot. And if you are looking for a 7mm Rem Mag., their new 7mm remington Ultra Mag is the flattest shooting factory rifle in any caliber you can buy. If you want the inside scoop, pick up the newest Shooting times magazine. WITH A 200 YARD ZERO, THE 180 GR. BULLET ONLY DROPS LIKE 1.68 INCHES AT 300 YARDS! Flat and fast- the perfect big game combination.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:39:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not quite. Weatherby currently has their Mark V and others manufactured by Saco Defense in Maine. The Vanguard, which is nothing more than an expensive Howa 1500, is still made in japan.
View Quote

Not quite? Actually it is.  It is a Mark V synthetic he got in the late '80's early '90's I believe and it is made in Japan.  I did not say ALL Weatherby's are made in Japan, but his is.  It is a nice rifle, but way overpriced. He likes my Browning better and recommends it to people who ask him about buying a bolt action.  He is actually the one who loads the ammo I use in mine.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:54:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Remington is cheaper than the Brownings - Go with what feels good to you.  Most like the palm swell that Browning uses on their A-bolts.  Remington generally as a rule are more accurate then the Brownings - but I have seen that rule broken many times.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 6:08:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Not quite? Actually it is. It is a Mark V synthetic he got in the late '80's early '90's I believe and it is made in Japan. I did not say ALL Weatherby's are made in Japan, but his is. It is a nice rifle, but way overpriced. He likes my Browning better and recommends it to people who ask him about buying a bolt action. He is actually the one who loads the ammo I use in mine.
View Quote

Hey dumbass, I don't have any idea what in the hell you're talking about, but the rest of us are talking about [b][i]CURRENTLY PRODUCED[/i][/b] rifles, not stuff your ol' pappy bought back during the powdered wig era.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 6:39:52 PM EDT
[#25]
30-06 is a great choice.  Magnums only improve your range 10-15%, at a cost of 50% more recoil.  I picked up a 300 Mag a while ago, but have never shot it because I have complete confidence in my 30-06.  A lot of my friends have purchased magnums in the last few years, and the only difference I can see in their shooting is that they miss more.

From what I have heard, the Brownings are very accurate.  My biggest concern would be that it might be difficult or impossible to find after-market improvements (triggers, stocks, barrels, etc.).  The Model 700 and 70 are best in this regard.

I doubt there is really much difference between the accuracy of any of the major rifle manufacturers (Remington, Winchester, Savage, Browning, Ruger, Weatherby).  Personally, I like the Winchester for the coned breech, controlled round feed, 3 position safety, extra round in the magazine, and, in my experience, great accuracy.  Rugers and Savages look cheap to me, but upper-end Remington, Winchesters and Brownings are nice looking rifles.  IMHO.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hey dumbass, I don't have any idea what in the hell you're talking about, but the rest of us are talking about [b][i]CURRENTLY PRODUCED[/i][/b] rifles, not stuff your ol' pappy bought back during the powdered wig era.
View Quote

Well, I am sorry you are upset that I said that a We[b]a[/b]therby was made in Japan.  You can call me whatever the hell you want but I was just stating a fact and in no way tried to demean you. If it makes you happy to call me names, go ahead!

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#27]
You made a statement that Weatherbys are currently made in japan, did you not? I stated that that is not entirely true, did I not? [b]YES OR NO? PAY ATTENTION TO THE CONVERSATION.[/b]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#28]
P.S. Please make an effort to spell Weatherby correctly. It's spelled [b]W-E-A-T-H-E-R-B-Y[/b], with an [b]"A."[/b] The English alphabet has twenty-six letters, please use them.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:39:39 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a black, Browning 30-06 Stalker w/ Boss and love it(Leupold Var-X II 3x9x50 on top)!  Although I've shot many Remingtons and Winchesters, the stock fit, ease of pointing and overall accuracy out of the box is astounding.  At 100 yards I regularly get sub MOA with 150 grain rounds.  Out to 300 yards I'm hovering around 3 - 4 MOA.  As mentioned previously by another person on the topic, it seems to like Federal hunting ammo the best, but will shoot anything that I've put into it so far.  The Boss reduces recoil and allows for quicker follow-up with a second shot if it's needed, but the noise the Boss makes is overwhelming.  It sounds like a magnum rifle when it's fired, but I figure as accurate as it is, it's doubtful that I'll have to worry about a missed shot scaring of the game animal that I'm after, since it's typically down with the first shot in the first place.  Anyone who cries, "...but it's made in Japan" hasn't shot one and is missing out on a great rifle.  I wish that I had one on .300 Win Mag for the really big game and bragging rights too!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 7:40:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I did say 'they' i intended to say it said made in Japan.  I stand corrected.  No need to get all upset.  It will be corrected. Sorry if you interpreted my not exactly? response as hostile.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#31]
If you think you may wish to change something on your rifle at a later date check and make sure it's available, have you ever seen an A Bolt bedded in an A1 McMillan? I'm not being smart, but after some unpleasant suprises I tend to use Model 70's or Model 700's because if you want something for a rifle it is always available for these two first.
Have a nice evening,   Rabon...
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:05:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Hold onto your hats!
Remington is coming out with a Model 7 in the NEW Remington Short Action Ultra Mag in both .300 & 7mm!!!
That gets my vote if you're going for a new rifle.
The gun magazines are full of information in the latest issues.
Read up.
Get a Remington!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#33]
The A bolt is a nicer piece, but if you might have any ideas of changing anything, trigger, stock, or getting it improved, the Remington would be the better choice. my three cents
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top