Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/27/2001 1:24:15 AM EDT
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I think the Demojackasses will [B]NEVER[/B] let it fade away into the sunset.

The anti's have too much influence $$$$ with them.

Something will come up before the election.  Just you wait and see.

How many other gun laws have you seen fade away into the sunset?

Which one is supposed to sunset again?

1934?  1968?  1986?  1989?  1994?

What did I forget?

Oh ya, I'm not holding my breath until I see Galil's rolling in again.  But I guess not, that was 1989.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:42:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
94 is suppose to sunset
View Quote

I know, I was just pointing out all the other relevant ones that didn't sunset.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:44:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone on a similar thread mentioned how some massacre always seems to take place right on cue.

Do I sense another Columbine rallying cry?

I pray not, but if the past is any indication....
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:07:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Nobody knows.  We will just have to wait and see.  Opinions about whether it will sunset or not are just that, opinions.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:10:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, it will sunset.  To be replaced by something even more restrictive.

Between now and 04, at one major incident will occur against children and/or innocents with these type weapons.

At the risk of sounding like a parrot, get what you need now!  We have been given a gift of time
to do so.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:34:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I would hope to hell [i]nothing[/i] bad happens like that again.
We are fearing the whackos instead of educating the People.
Meanwhile, I'll take your comment under advisement to further enhance my point of view with respect to having been prepared.
God help us not to have to see another tragedy, let alone more restrictive UN-style laws.
Every year is Y2K...
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:37:34 AM EDT
[#8]
The left wingers and Rosie O'Donnell will fight that one to the death.  But think of all the pre-ban dealers and traders whose inventory values  would plummet in value if the ban were overturned.  Pre ban gun and mag prices would fall, if people could buy new productw with pre-Clinton capacities.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 9:44:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My opinion is that no it won't sunset.  My hopes and prayers is that yes it will sunset.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:05:41 AM EDT
[#10]
It WILL sunset, because that's how it was written... But there will more than likely be a new piece of legislation signed in to replace it, pick up where it left off, or preceed the end date by a couple months / days / etc. That is what we have to worry about.

Lets get pro-active now and find out what our respective congressman, senator's, and governor's stands on this issue is. Then we can let THEM know where WE stand.

Happy (well-written factual arguments for the 2nd) hunting,
havoc
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Fact: The ban will sunset on September 13, 2004 - because that is how the law is written.

Opinion: If gun owners spent as much time working for the campaigns of the pro-RKBA Reps and Senators up for election next year, as they do worrying about whether or not the ban will sunset, then there's a good chance it would not be extended or replaced by something worse.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Opinion: If gun owners spent as much time working for the campaigns of the pro-RKBA Reps and Senators up for election next year, as they do worrying about whether or not the ban will sunset, then there's a good chance it would not be extended or replaced by something worse.
View Quote

Yes, you must vote for lib(eral)by dole because she is going to be the lesser of 2 evils.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 10:52:27 AM EDT
[#13]
IMHO,
The ban will not be renewed. The democrats as a party (save for a few hardcore demo bitches like Feinstein and Clinton) and the republicans are smarted then that. We stand to make gains in 02', maintain our lead in the house, and possibly retake the senate. I think the most scenario is that it will die without much if anything being said about it. I also think the current 'right' shift in the goverment will continue and eventual something like the second amendment restoration act will get past in the not too distance future(2010?).The demo's now know that guns kill, political careers that is [:D]

[rail]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:03:22 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:13:48 AM EDT
[#15]
I think it will sunset, not just because of the way it`s written,but because both sides in congress have other issues on their agendas they would rather spend their political capital on. For the Dems particularly, it`s a no win propostion.

We`ll probably be stuck with the 10 round limit for the foreseeable future as a bone to the democRATS.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 11:22:11 AM EDT
[#16]
The "AW" Ban will be allowed to sunset and not be renewed at approximately the same time as Hell's ice hockey team wins the Stanley Cup.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#17]
In the past is prologue department, has any gun law been repealed since its enactment?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 12:55:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:00:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Anyone out there hate stupid people???  

Cause this stuff is nuts.  That people will actually give up their rights.  Sheeple drive me nuts.  

Some people are only alive because it is illegal to kill them.

Those that can't think for themselves and follow those who appeal to them.  Are fools.  

Sorry for straying from the subject.  I think it will sunset.  But it won't sunset just because we let it alone.  If we do nothing then we are to blame for or liberties being striped from us.  

Write your senators and congress men.  If you bug them enough then they might see that there are people out there that are going for this.  Then you never know if we out number the amount of anti's sending them letters or emails then they might think we are bigger than they once though and follow the votes.  

After all there is only one thing worse than a politician and that's a reporter!
[sniper]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:33:17 PM EDT
[#20]
It's like what Larry said;  we will wait and see.  No one knows for [i]sure[/i].
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 1:52:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I think the Demojackasses will [B]NEVER[/B] let it fade away into the sunset.

The anti's have too much influence $$$$ with them.
View Quote

Right now, the Democrats are hurting because they supported gun control. They feel that they lost the presidency on this issue. They are going to approch it very gingerly. If we keep up the pressure, we might see the AW bill sunset.

Quoted:
How many other gun laws have you seen fade away into the sunset?

Which one is supposed to sunset again?

1934?  1968?  1986?  1989?  1994?

What did I forget?
View Quote

Only '94 has sunset provisions. This is true because the antis didn't have the clout to get it through without such provisions.

'89 was not a law that passed through Congress, it was an executive order. Several other similar executive orders effecting firearms were put in place by Clinton. For example, he stopped import of Chinese firearms, and some military ammunition, and reclassied some shotguns as destructive devices.

'86 was in fact a revision of '68, which allowed us to buy ammo via mail order, and some other improvements. To get it through, new machine guns were banned. But '86 in fact represents a liberalization of '68.

Quoted:
Oh ya, I'm not holding my breath until I see Galil's rolling in again.  But I guess not, that was 1989.
View Quote

And that will not happen even if '94 sunsets.

I believe that there is a good chance '94 will sunset. I'd put it at 40 to 50%. But it depends on what we do, to some extent. I think Bush would be happy to let it sunset, but he isn't going to spend much political capital to make sure it does.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:04:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:13:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Well then something needs to be done!
View Quote

Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

You messed up that matched pair!
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Although I think that there is a good chance that it will not sunset, I will do my best until then to try to get things to go "our way" when the time comes. I won't give up.

Tyler
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#26]
While I agree that it is the most idiotic bill ever, fact is, we don't have the support of the public.
Shopw someone oa picture of an AR15 and ask them if they think they should be legal.
You will get one of 2 answers.

1) "NO! You don't need a machine gun to hunt with!"

or

2) "NO! You don't need all those rounds to hunt with!"

Not passing a redraft of the bill would mean political death to those who fought it.
Remember. We are dealing with politicians. Not judges. Thier jobs rest solely on the support of the public, and the public dosn't support your right to own an AR15.
The only reason you still can is because they think they are banned already. Just like "machine guns are illegal"...
Public ignorance has saved our asses. Not redrafting that bill would let the public at large know about the "easy availibility still of high capacity assault weapons".

Sorry. Whoever thinks this bill rests on the shoulders of gun owners is dumb. The public at large, including mahy hunters and gun owners, don't support AK's and AR.s
Then end
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:17:38 PM EDT
[#27]
There's an outside chance it would be allowed to die, but only an outside chance.

The democrats took a beating on guns in the last election, and every time they come out with a gun control proposal they reinforce their image as gun-haters. The antis will attempt to frame this as a "common-sense", "gun safety" measure. If the NRA makes big enough of a stink the dems might release a few congressmen to vote as they please, and get a narrow defeat of a replacement bill. The model for gun owners would be the defeat of the campaign finance reform bill, which was killed by the democrats in the house and has languished since. DiFi and Boxer and Schumer are going to be pushing hard, but the key would be to make sure the leadership does not make it a party line issue.

If it passes congress Bush is going to sign it, though. So it would be important to get it killed in the congress.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#28]
The only reason the crats are quieting down about gun control is becasue they saw that their opinions on Handguns and "Sniper/Hunting" rifles didn't sit too well with a large voting block of traditionally Democrat Voting midwest/Southern union voters.

AR15's and UZI's are a different thing. A TOTALLY different thing, and that's what the bill adresses. To fight a redraft would be political death to most politicians, DEM or REP alike.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:23:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Doubt it will sunset.  Look at the MG ban.  

Unrelated, Who's the mascot for "Hell"s"
Hockey Team?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#31]
In spite of our best efforts, we'll be stuck with it or something like it forever.  The DemoCommies and their media whores will never let it die!  They will attribute the crime rate drop over the last few years to the ban.  Of course, they won't have any evidence of this, but when has that ever stopped them before?
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#32]
No, and it is foolish to think that we can regain our freedoms without the use of force.
Link Posted: 8/27/2001 5:00:34 PM EDT
[#33]
please forgive my ignorance. what exactly will the effects of the 94 ban be if it sunsets? i am not sure what it covers. bazookas for all?
-jay
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top